Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Gate agent paged me and warned me I should board with my Zone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate agent paged me and warned me I should board with my Zone

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The OP could smile and something innocuous, like 'Thank you for thinking of me. I'll board in a few minutes.' Or, he can seek confrontation and demand every inch of the rule - and hope he never, ever, appears at the gate 14 minutes 45 seconds before scheduled departure.
I'm not suggesting OP be confrontational. Being confrontational with those in a position of authority rarely plays out well, especially since when it comes to pax versus employees/crew, authorities are more likely to side with employees and crew. But OP shouldn't an doesn't need to change his habits. If the GA has a problem with FC pax boarding at the end of boarding rather than when FC is called, the GA should work through his/her chain of leadership to bring about the desired change.

Originally Posted by jerry305
Well, I'm answering the OP's question, which was "Should I change my habits?"
If the OP asked if they need to change their habits, then, no, they do not need to change their habits.

If you feel that the GA is exhibiting a bad attitude and bad behavior, then even more reason... 'cause it sounds like a lot of work for the OP to change the GA's ongoing behavior for future visits.
It would be easier for the OP to just do this workaround.

There's no rule that I know of that says OP needs to be pleasant and empathetic for just a few seconds, but I find it works well for me.
You may not see it that way but it's giving in to a mild form of bullying. A GA using their position of authority and power to try to force something that's not a rule/policy is a soft form of bullying. On the bullying scale is it anywhere near the worst case? No. But it's still a soft form.
k5xs likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I'm not suggesting OP be confrontational. Being confrontational with those in a position of authority rarely plays out well, especially since when it comes to pax versus employees/crew, authorities are more likely to side with employees and crew. But OP shouldn't an doesn't need to change his habits. If the GA has a problem with FC pax boarding at the end of boarding rather than when FC is called, the GA should work through his/her chain of leadership to bring about the desired change.

You may not see it that way but it's giving in to a mild form of bullying. A GA using their position of authority and power to try to force something that's not a rule/policy is a soft form of bullying. On the bullying scale is it anywhere near the worst case? No. But it's still a soft form.
It sounds to me that the GA should seek another job if he/she is unhappy with DL procedures for FC passengers.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:33 am

You may not see it that way but it's giving in to a mild form of bullying.
I think your point is indisputable here. But I think "giving in" to this stuff is sometimes OK; it comes down to picking your battles.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA
I’ve been traveling and too busy to respond. Heading home in C+. Agh.

Yes, he was prob late 50s with salt and pepper hair. Quite persnickety.

Not it a huge deal, I was just surprised having adopted the delightful board late habit eons ago. Right now I’m in MSP and will attempt to board dead last in order to minimize my time in steerage.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
A lot of people are misstating the 15-minute rule here. There is no rule that you have to be on board 15 minutes before takeoff or they can give your seat away.

The actual rule is: "Additionally, you’re required to be at the gate and ready to board 15 minutes before scheduled departure." That's a different thing.
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by 18sas
A lot of people are misstating the 15-minute rule here. There is no rule that you have to be on board 15 minutes before takeoff or they can give your seat away.

The actual rule is: "Additionally, you’re required to be at the gate and ready to board 15 minutes before scheduled departure." That's a different thing.
Yes. The requirement is that you present yourself for boarding. Here are two examples.
  • D-15 passes and the gate agent doesn’t have any passengers trying to board. Anyone who presents themself for boarding (walks up to the boarding pass scanner) after that point doesn’t meet the boarding time requirement.
  • D-15 passes but you’re waiting in line to board at the gate. Since you are ready to board, you’ve met the boarding time requirement and your seat shouldn’t be released.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Also, "fifteen minutes before takeoff" would be undefined until after takeoff has occurred, so it cannot be a rule.

For example, if a flight is lined up on the tarmac or waiting for de-icing but left the gate on schedule an hour ago, would the plane be obligated to go back to the gate to pick up a passenger who arrived thirty minutes after the originally scheduled departure time?
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:43 am

I think the so called 15 minute rule is specifically in reference to denying a passenger boarding rather than guaranteeing the passenger a specific seat assignment. I don't think it would be very good from a customer service perspective to downgrade a passenger before they're definitely a no show, but I don't see the 15 minute rule as guaranteeing the OP's upgrade.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by rucksack
I think the so called 15 minute rule is specifically in reference to denying a passenger boarding rather than guaranteeing the passenger a specific seat assignment. I don't think it would be very good from a customer service perspective to downgrade a passenger before they're definitely a no show, but I don't see the 15 minute rule as guaranteeing the OP's upgrade.
You seem to suggest that it's OK for a GA to remove a customer from a FC seat and downgrade the passenger at some time before T-15 provided that the person is given some other seat on the flight. At what time does this become OK or can the GA just do it at any time for any reason or no reason at all?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by rucksack
A GA shouldn't be threatening to downgrade someone just because they didn't board with their zone, especially since OP said they were paged to the gate 25 minutes before scheduled departure time, not even at 15 minutes before departure time. GA was almost certainly trying to figure out if the seat was going to be a "no-show" so they could UG the next Medallion on the UG list but that's not OP's problem if that's the case.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by izzyizzo
The flip side of the coin is the number of upgrade-eligible pax who will complain if the flight leaves with an empty F seat (or employee shoved in at the last minute) because there's not enough time left to upgrade someone who's already seated in Y. Just saying.
Do you know who these people are?
izzyizzo likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps

Do you have a link to the bullying scale?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Do you know who these people are?
There are probably a number of examples in the Shena thread.

Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Do you have a link to the bullying scale?
Does there need to be a precise scale before we can say there are different degrees of bullying?
rickg523 and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:03 pm

Just report the GA to Delta and move on. No need to beat this horse to death on here.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:51 pm

A GA shouldn't be threatening to downgrade someone just because they didn't board with their zone, especially since OP said they were paged to the gate 25 minutes before scheduled departure time, not even at 15 minutes before departure time. GA was almost certainly trying to figure out if the seat was going to be a "no-show" so they could UG the next Medallion on the UG list but that's not OP's problem if that's the case.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You seem to suggest that it's OK for a GA to remove a customer from a FC seat and downgrade the passenger at some time before T-15 provided that the person is given some other seat on the flight. At what time does this become OK or can the GA just do it at any time for any reason or no reason at all?
I'm not condoning downgrading a Medallion upgrade before T-15 – at a minimum it's poor customer service. I'm just pointing out that the policy sticklers here seem to be forgetting that upgrades are a benefit, not a guarantee and it comes off as DYKWIAish.
izzyizzo likes this.

Last edited by rucksack; Apr 17, 2019 at 6:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.