Premium Select fare shenanigans

Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Premium Select fare shenanigans

I recently flew LAX-PVG on a great Premium Select fare. I used miles to upgrade to Delta One both ways. I was expecting 150% MQM given it was a Premium Select fare, but I got off the plane a few hours ago and it has posted at 100%.

I DMed Twitter and they came back saying the fare basis was actually a fare code of X. I encountered a similar thing trying to upgrade with miles — an agent insisted I needed to upfare to a “real” G fare, but I was able to HUCA and process it successfully.

I booked this directly with Delta (via bookwithmatrix) and am a bit disappointed they’re trying to play games with what appear to be basically Y-ups to PS, but aren’t real PS. When I booked via Delta, the displayed fare class was G, and in my receipts it’s listed as G.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Last edited by dlflyer00; Apr 13, 2019 at 8:22 am
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta Plat
did you upgrade before or after check-in?

If you upgraded after check-in no bonus is what I recall.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HWGeeks

My understanding is that the OP purchased a PS G fare and used miles to upgrade to D1. The problem is that he/she was given MQMs for the "underlying coach fare" X at 100% rather than the G which was purchased at 150%.

I've had TPAC G fares for PS that I purchased and confirmed into D1 with GUCs. My MQMs posted at 150%.
kthomas, hi55us and dlflyer00 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HWGeeks

No upgrade here (besides the miles upgrade to D1). The ticket was originally bought as PS, but apparently with a fare basis beginning in X (even though booking class = G).
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
You should fight this. If the displayed fare was G you should earn the bonus. A customer should not be expected to know what a fare basis is or to snoop around and figure out if they are on some kind of hidden Y-up fare (if that's what is actually going on). I would call customer service.

Is it possible that when you upgraded to D1 that they had to reticket down to a Y fare that was upgrade eligible?
kthomas and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
On Y up first class fares that show A on the recept you get first class MQMs not coach - at least that what I have seen. I would fight this. I think something got screwed up when you upgraded to D1
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does DL set the number of miles needed to upgrade from PS to D1 or otherwise officially have an upgrade award for this combination of cabin classes? If not, I'd go with the "first reissue the ticket in coach in order to do the upgrade" explanation. OP should look carefully at the sequence of receipts for this trip.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta
This is reminiscent to the situation I had before (though I was flying VS metal booked through DL). see this thread: Up fare not getting MQM bonus
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
(ugh, deleted)
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Took 30 minutes but a very persistent representative was able to help me and called the SkyMiles desk multiple times until a supervisor manually overrode the system and gave me the 50% bonus. They said it might happen again on my return so we’ll see I guess. Still annoying.
kthomas likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had the same thing happen on the same routing. G class upgraded to Delta One then only got 100% MQM. I called into the platinum desk and explained the issue. The correct MQM credited in 2 days. There is something wrong with their systems that is causing this to regularly happen.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I had the same thing happen on the same routing. G class upgraded to Delta One then only got 100% MQM. I called into the platinum desk and explained the issue. The correct MQM credited in 2 days. There is something wrong with their systems that is causing this to regularly happen.
Did you ever look at the fare code and fare rules? That would be the definitive way to see whether DL has sold you a coach fare with an instant upgrade to PS or not.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: DL PM
Ugh, hope I don't have this same situation coming up. D1 to HND from LAX and PS (G fare) on return. I have used miles to upgrade to D1 on return (right after purchasing) and receipt shows "OY" fare class. At least I have the original email receipt showing initial purchase of PS (G fare).
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Delta DM
How many miles needed to upgrade on these fares?
kthomas likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by DLX5
Ugh, hope I don't have this same situation coming up. D1 to HND from LAX and PS (G fare) on return. I have used miles to upgrade to D1 on return (right after purchasing) and receipt shows "OY" fare class. At least I have the original email receipt showing initial purchase of PS (G fare).
You should try to check your fare code and fare rules, for example using EF if you didn't grab this information at the time of booking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.