Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrading Australia flights at the airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum

Hello!

Towards the end of this year I'm looking to buy a ticket to Australia flying down on Delta,
However I earn substantially more MQD on a Virgin Australia-coded ticket since on partner ticket stock it earns by distance, not payment.
This will make the difference between platinum or diamond Medallion qualification, so there's a lot riding on it.

My question however, becomes about upgrading.
I already know that in advance it won't be possible, since the flights are VA-coded and not Delta 006 ticket stock.

But what about the airport?
The airport gains immense control once check-in opens, do you think I could request it at the check-in desk or gate? If it's available even...

My account is with Delta SkyMiles anyway, so the points are coming from their own program.

Any experience is appreciated,
Thanks!!!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How do you plan to upgrade? With DL miles? If so, note that normally upgrades with miles (as opposed to those using GUCs) can't be processed on the day of departure. Also, there are no free elite upgrades on longhaul international flights.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mileage upgrade on DL doesn't carry over to airport standby list either. i.e. you need to clear in advance, you cannot standby for airport upgrades using miles. You can use GUC, however.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If you were expecting to be offered a cash upgrade, no, Delta long haul doesn't work that way, but for the KL-boarded AMS exceptions.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by dbernard2000
My question however, becomes about upgrading.
I already know that in advance it won't be possible, since the flights are VA-coded and not Delta 006 ticket stock.

But what about the airport?
If you're willing to fly VA metal instead of DL, VA offers a program called UpgradeMe, which is basically a program to bid on upgrades. You must be booked on VA metal using VA codes and on VA 795 ticket stock. IMO, the VA hard and soft products are superior to the DL hard and soft products, and if your concern is MQD earning you'll probably still benefit this way.
mot29 and CPMaverick like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If you fly the DL operated, VA codeshare you will not be able to get complimentary Comfort+. This can be a big deal on such a long flight. You will be able to request it at the airport, but the seats will be gone by then most likely.

I don't believe it will be possible for you to upgrade this ticket to J, even at the airport. The ticket is not controlled by DL. They can't reissue it. An op-up is probably the only way.

I can tell you from experience, both in general and on this route, codeshares are a pain and not worth the headache. If you need the MQD, just book the VA operated flight, it'll be a lot easier. If you buy the VA flight you can bid (cash) for an upgrade to PE or J via their UpgradeMe system.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Presume you've done the math? For Y fares the MQD earnings don't always come out ahead unless you are on a very cheap ticket.

Believe a couple of Y fare buckets only earn 5% / 10%

Also VA code means no C+ upgrade until DoD and you may not get a PS upgrade offer (plane is now a PS 777).

I'd rather take confirmed C+ with chance of reasonable PS upgrade offer (which will come with increased MQMs)
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by bennos
If you're willing to fly VA metal instead of DL, VA offers a program called UpgradeMe, which is basically a program to bid on upgrades. You must be booked on VA metal using VA codes and on VA 795 ticket stock. IMO, the VA hard and soft products are superior to the DL hard and soft products, and if your concern is MQD earning you'll probably still benefit this way.
I used upgrade me a few years ago to bid for an upgrade PER-MEL. As I recall my successful bid was about $200 for a 4 hour or so flight and it was a 330 with intl config so well worth it.
Flying BNE-LAX (DL ticket, VA flight number) I asked at checkin about upgrading. Was offered AU$1000 to upgrade from PE to business. Was told this was a new benefit for DL tickets, up to that week had only been available for VA ticks.
arunhn likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you were expecting to be offered a cash upgrade, no, Delta long haul doesn't work that way, but for the KL-boarded AMS exceptions.
I think the AMS cash/miles airport upgrades went away recently on DL metal.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I think the AMS cash/miles airport upgrades went away recently on DL metal.
Thank goodness they did!
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Thank goodness they did!
And please enlighten us heathens about how the AMS buy-ups did not fit into your WFBF mantra?
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:17 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by bennos
IMO, the VA hard and soft products are superior to the DL hard and soft products.
Food and service, sure, but Delta has their new suite product to SYD now.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by TBD
Food and service, sure, but Delta has their new suite product to SYD now.
The suite is nice (haven't flown the 777 but I have the A350). I still give VA the hard product edge though, with the excellent in-flight bar, and still a very good seat. Although some of the VA seats are showing their age.

To be fair I don't really value the added features of the suite, like the door. Just don't see a reason to use it. I'm sure others will like it more than I.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Apr 13, 2019 at 9:21 pm
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
The suite is nice (haven't flown the 777 but I have the A350). I still give VA the hard product edge though, with the excellent in-flight bar, and still a very good seat. Although some of the VA seats are showing their age.

To be fair I don't really value the added features of the suite, like the door. Just don't see a reason to use it. I'm sure others will like it more than I.
If VA still ‘makes up’ the seats from sleeping with the foam pad, for me that adds much the comfort.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
They do, i was offered buy up to Delta One MSP-LHR both ways about a month ago. Unsure if this is the same on other routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.