Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy

Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy

Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:50 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Not possible to sleep without recline
CO-PLAT, Zeeb and luv2vacay like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by wxman22
I like it.
I usually recline my seat one to two inches becuase my back does feel the difference, but I don' need 4 inches and it will make the seats seem much spacier.
I'll recline maybe 1/3 rd of the way, but the entire recline just infringes on the person behind me and that's in FC. Most people don't care and go back as far as they can no matter how short the flight, because most people are oblivious to anyone else's needs.
I say good for Delta.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:46 am

I fly only paid F (my own dime). It is long overdue for DL to do this, and I have complained to them about this (excessive recline) for years. Disclosure: I have a major position in DL (DL:NYSE)) and the position has done well (thanks to multiple factors, including mashing more pax into seats).

DL has stacked more seats into its F cabin than the other majors, and I compare my DL flights in the F cabin to what I have seen to my position in the UA and AA's cabins. The comparison between DL and AA on their 737 F cabins is glaring: AA does 4 rows and DL does 5. I fly over 400K actual miles per year and make Exec Plat, 1K, and Diamond on the 3 majors.

DL has had, regardless of how many rows it crams into its F cabin, from long ago had way too much pitch for its F seats. Really bad in trying to get out of your seat when there is only 3 inches distance to get one's knees through. AA and UA are nowhere near this. I suppose if DL wants to cram more seats into the same finite space as its competitors, at least the decent thing for DL to have done would have been to limit the recline of such seats. Hallelujah on waking up to this.

This is a major move that should be applauded. I have always gamed the system by getting bulkhead in F with my wife. We get in line 15 min early to be able to place our carryon's within reach (the first overhead bins have the emergency stuff, so we have to fight for the rest. And don't forget that people weren't rushing the gate to get on with their suitcases until the airlines started charging to check bags).

My worst experiences were on the old DL DC-9's where I'd be in the and row and a guy in row 1 reclined to the max, pretty much burying me. It was usually a large frame guy who must have thoroughly enjoyed his cavernous space. Seldom was a LOL.

Thanks, Delta, for waking up to the obvious. We have been complaining about this a long time. Please don't slip into recidivism and forget to continue this in perpetuity.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by ethernal
Sounds like it may be a bit of a psychological effect for you then.. the Delta seats are already pre-reclined to the tune of a few inches. So when you recline "1 inch" you've really reclined four+ in aggregate.
This is confusing me, because youre right, they are pre-reclined a little bit. But as far as I can tell the seats (more specifically, the area around the headrests) are also curved on many (not all) planes, so that my upper back is very much shoved forward. Its never made much sense as a seat design to me and if youre not noticing it with 3 inches on me Im now wondering if its something specific about where my shoulder blades are on the seat. But that definitely leads me to recline most of the time. (Well, that and I basically only fly long hauls where I want to nap.)
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Recliners suck on a short flight / thread. Great move by Delta and hopefully it sticks.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Delta is saying the back of the seatback is more important and more functional than the front (cushioned) part of the seatback.
They are probably right.

They are also devaluing the bulkhead seats even more since the biggest advantage of the bulkhead was not being reclined into. Legroom is already worse than when you have space under the seat in front of you to stretch out.
Im 63 and when I get the upgrade or buy FC (award, cash, or FCM) will go for row 1 when I can get it. Not being reclined into is important for me.
EarlVolFan likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: Priority Club Pl, Marriot Gold, Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, TSA Pre✓
This change is annoying. My wife and I always fly Delta One or first class. And we always recline our seats as far as they can go (except my wife doesn't like full flat in Delta One.)
I have some sympathy for tall people having knee problems but no sympathy for the laptop users. IMHO, comfort should come before laptop usage.

Two days ago we flew on a DL A320 ATL-PHX which was a 4 hour flight. We both reclined our seats and slept most of the time. I did notice it was a little difficult to get out of my FC window seat with the seat in front of me reclined.

We like Delta better than the other US airlines so after the change is made we will still will fly DL but we will try to avoid the A320.

Last edited by davidlhanson; Apr 13, 2019 at 3:16 am Reason: Correction
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by davidlhanson
This change is annoying. My wife and I always fly Delta One or first class. And we always recline our seats as far as they can go (except my wife doesn't like full flat in Delta One.)
I have some sympathy for tall people having knee problems but no sympathy for the laptop users. IMHO, comfort should come before laptop usage.

Two days ago we flew on a DL A320 ATL-PHX which was a 4 hour flight. We both reclined our seats and slept most of the time. I did notice it was a little difficult to get out of my FC window seat with the seat in front of me reclined.

We like Delta better than the other US airlines so after the change is made we will still will fly DL but we will try to avoid the A320.
Judging from the press this is generating and the discussion it's bringing up regarding reclining it looks as if it won't be limited to just the A320. Maybe it's time to switch carriers before they copy DL.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by ethernal
Some of this is camera angles, but try flighting a short-haul intra-EU flight. Those are upright sticks: Lufthansa short-haul. Compare that to Delta seats.
It's just an illusion - Lufthansa seats are actually slightly more pre-reclined (look at the angle between the seatback and the vertical lines on the wall near the window). Even if they skimp on cushioning.

Quite shocking that so many people don't like to recline - I always do (when possible), and I don't mind other people reclining into my space as long as I can recline myself.
kulflyer likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
I am 6' 3". No recline might make some sense in Y, but I am against it in C+ or F. I have never had comfort issues when people in front of me recline in C+ or F. If I were a cigar-smoker I might well have swallowed it when I saw this plan.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FullFare
DL has stacked more seats into its F cabin than the other majors, and I compare my DL flights in the F cabin to what I have seen to my position in the UA and AA's cabins. The comparison between DL and AA on their 737 F cabins is glaring: AA does 4 rows and DL does 5. I fly over 400K actual miles per year and make Exec Plat, 1K, and Diamond on the 3 majors.

DL has had, regardless of how many rows it crams into its F cabin, from long ago had way too much pitch for its F seats. Really bad in trying to get out of your seat when there is only 3 inches distance to get one's knees through. AA and UA are nowhere near this. I suppose if DL wants to cram more seats into the same finite space as its competitors, at least the decent thing for DL to have done would have been to limit the recline of such seats. Hallelujah on waking up to this.
You're confusing some aircraft and configurations.

Delta 738s have 16F (and 160 seats total)

AA's MAX8s (and its Oasis reconfigured 738s) have 16 F and 172 seats total.

UA has three 738 configs but all show 16F and 166 seats total.

It's Delta's 737-900ER that has a 20F cabin. So does United's 739. AA doesn't fly 739s.

F seat pitch on DL's 738 is 37 inches - the same on AA MAX 8s and Oasis 738s.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BenA

I agree with you that seat recline is as much a psychological issue as anything - I think being able to have some agency and choice in your seat is as important to some folks as the actual amount it reclines, and a seat at 90 degrees that reclines 1/2-1 could be more popular than one at 115 degrees that does not.. Thats why DLs compromise strategy here makes so much sense - it preserves some ability to choose to recline while limiting the amount it can affect other passengers.
What makes you qualified to think it is a psychological issue? It is very physical to me.

Originally Posted by wxman22
I like it.
I usually recline my seat one to two inches becuase my back does feel the difference, but I don' need 4 inches and it will make the seats seem much spacier.
What if your back DID feel the difference?

Originally Posted by tmorse6570
I'll recline maybe 1/3 rd of the way, but the entire recline just infringes on the person behind me and that's in FC. Most people don't care and go back as far as they can no matter how short the flight, because most people are oblivious to anyone else's needs.
I say good for Delta.
See here is the thing. I agree with the statement that MOST people do go back as far as they can. Doesn't that say something? They aren't all obvious to the people reclining into them but they still do it....like me. How could they be that obvious when they have a seat back right in front of them that is back. I use a laptop from time to time in coach and I have a big screen and I can still make it work. No, it isn't ideal. But I don't expect it to be either.

Now, a friend of mine (I can't take credit) has come up with an idea. Why not make the left side not recline and the right side recline? Or the right side recline more? Plainly spell it out and make it clear you still aren't promised any particular seat. You couldn't be any worse off than you are today if the non-recliners have to sit on the other side. I can hear the counter argument now....too complicated. Yeah....well it wouldn't be any more complicated than the mess of stuff now.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I think this is a great idea. I like to recline an inch or so to take some pressure off my back, but that's it. I think cutting the recline by 2 inches will be enough for people to recline and not reclined enough to make it an issue where it makes the person behind you miserable.
fpmurphy likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: DL DM
I'm 6'7". If I recline I don't do more that an inch or two. I welcome this and hope it becomes a bigger trend. If someone reclines into me in either F or coach, my knees hate me and I usually have to put away my laptop and stop working because there's not any room.

It's always difficult to claw back something that some travelers enjoy. Someone else's comfort shouldn't come at others expense.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
I'm 6'7". If I recline I don't do more that an inch or two. I welcome this and hope it becomes a bigger trend. If someone reclines into me in either F or coach, my knees hate me and I usually have to put away my laptop and stop working because there's not any room.

It's always difficult to claw back something that some travelers enjoy. Someone else's comfort shouldn't come at others expense.
Haha, fittingly I just boarded an E175 plane in 2C and the person in 1C immediately after sitting down during boarding goes full recline right into my knees..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.