Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by JW6130
I disagree. The EMB-170/175 are great for reclining, and there is plenty of space to work even when the person in front of you is reclined. That's why I try to fly on those planes when possible. It's like sitting in a recliner at home, without the TV access.

Now if they could add adjustable headrests to the Delta CRJ-900 F seats, that would be a significant improvement. The non-adjustable Velcro flaps they have now offer zero head/neck support. Even the CRJ-700s have adjustable headrests in F.
The inherent problem is these seats already have a ridiculous amount of recline at full upright position, and are awkward to to sit as a first class passenger.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by indufan
What I know is that every little bit helps my back. In fact, I routinely "cheat" before departure.....moving a quarter or half an inch....enough that the FAs don't usually notice. Reclining makes me feel better, period end of sentence. I know that others feel differently. But I don't.
I agree with you that seat recline is as much a psychological issue as anything - I think being able to have some agency and choice in your seat is as important to some folks as the actual amount it reclines, and a seat at 90 degrees that reclines 1/2”-1” could be more popular than one at 115 degrees that does not.. That’s why DL’s compromise strategy here makes so much sense - it preserves some ability to choose to recline while limiting the amount it can affect other passengers.
beachmouse and rickg523 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Auston
Interesting approach. Can't say I disagree.

https://skift.com/2019/04/12/delta-a...-flyers-happy/
Makes sense to me
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I fly lots of 320's and 319's on 3+ hour flights, 30 - 40 a year. They are probably the most used A/C at MSY and fly MSY to LGA, JFK, LAX, SLC, MSP, DTW. I'm all for the change.

You can't open the tray table in F normally when the person in front of you completely reclines. You have to lift it from the armrest 90 degrees, unfold it and then put it down, most of the time having to push the seat in front of you to get sufficient clearance.

You also can barely see the IFE since there's insufficient tilt of the screen to compensate for the extreme angle.

I'm all for this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
It's nice to be able to fully recline after a long TATL trip when you have been on the road for 20+ hours or that 5:00AM leg.
Don't like this change in F, those seats will become less comfortably with this change.
Delta wants happy flyers? Increase pitch, instread of taking something away.
nwflyboy likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by lucycan
Funny I was thinking your position shows no empathy. Certainly not for the person behind you.
Lets see, you said:

Originally Posted by lucycan
There is simply no reason to recline your seat on a flight less than a few hours long.
I said:

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Some people, myself included find the fully upright position to be extremely uncomfortable even for a short period of time. Reclining the seat less than an inch helps immensely.
So you do not want people to recline regardless. Where as I want to be able to recline a little. I do not think you know the definition of empathy.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
So you do not want people to recline regardless. Where as I want to be able to recline a little. I do not think you know the definition of empathy.
Sounds like it may be a bit of a psychological effect for you then.. the Delta seats are already pre-reclined to the tune of a few inches. So when you recline "1 inch" you've really reclined four+ in aggregate.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
DL paid a lot of money for the IFE screens in the seatbacks. Fuel costs to fly around that extra weight is not trivial either.

If all of the IFE's were tucked into the armrests (like some bulkhead seats), they would not be doing this "test".

They want people to see them, use them, and remember that they don't get stuff like that on WN or Spirit when they choose an airline for their next trip.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by ethernal
Sounds like it may be a bit of a psychological effect for you then.. the Delta seats are already pre-reclined to the tune of a few inches. So when you recline "1 inch" you've really reclined four+ in aggregate.
Here let me make it a bit clearer. The default upright position of most airline seats *I* find physically uncomfortable. Reclining the seat an 1 inch or so makes the seat more comfortable for *me*. Nothing psychological about that, purely physiological.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
They call this a "test."

Sure.

A "test" is to have half of these planes with one configuration and the other half with another configuration. This is hardly a "test."

This stinks for first-class.
"A/B" testing or placebo testing aren't the only kinds of tests. I don't see the need for them to run two sets of configurations at the same time when they already have decades of data on one of them.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I don't know why reclining economy seats still exist. This might of been fine in the olden days of coach class where the average legroom was 34'' and everyone read newspapers/books, but not now where the seats are closer together and everyone has laptops/tablets.

Then again, maybe it's because I am fit & have a strong back that it doesn't bother me. Seems to me the only people who enjoy that couple degrees of recline have many physical issues/out of shape. If so, there's always first class or lie flat seat airlines.
Ysitincoach and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I like it.
I usually recline my seat one to two inches becuase my back does feel the difference, but I don' need 4 inches and it will make the seats seem much spacier.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Delta should just go to a reasonable pitch instead of making passengers fight each other for comfort. It is a clear sign that they have gone way to far when they have to reduce the recline in F by 1 or 2 inches.

This attitude that the $ is more important than the customer is exactly why I left DL after 2MM miles and put over 1MM miles on a different US airline.

Unfortunately the other US airlines are following DL’s lead and becoming as crappy as the big EU airlines.
gmt4 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:07 pm

It is a bad news for me as I usually sleep all the way on the plane, the recline helps a little bit

Originally Posted by Auston
Interesting approach. Can't say I disagree.

https://skift.com/2019/04/12/delta-a...-flyers-happy/
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I fly lots of 320's and 319's on 3+ hour flights, 30 - 40 a year. They are probably the most used A/C at MSY and fly MSY to LGA, JFK, LAX, SLC, MSP, DTW. I'm all for the change.

You can't open the tray table in F normally when the person in front of you completely reclines. You have to lift it from the armrest 90 degrees, unfold it and then put it down, most of the time having to push the seat in front of you to get sufficient clearance.

You also can barely see the IFE since there's insufficient tilt of the screen to compensate for the extreme angle.

I'm all for this.
I second all of the above. I had major issues on my last flight (in F) when dinner was being served. The guy in front of me decided to take that opportunity to lean his seat back all the way which mean grabbing my tray as he fiddled and adjusted his seat. Then I could barely see the screen on the seat back, but I'm sure he was quite comfy. I'm all for this change.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.