Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rickg523
Well I recline sometimes. But no one is convincing me they can't take it only being able to recline 3 and a half inches instead of five inches. I will in fact bet you that no one can accurately - within a half inch - tell me exactly how far their seat is reclined. Except the person behind them!
What I know is that every little bit helps my back. In fact, I routinely "cheat" before departure.....moving a quarter or half an inch....enough that the FAs don't usually notice. Reclining makes me feel better, period end of sentence. I know that others feel differently. But I don't.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joethekay
100% agree. BTW you don't have a right to recline in my space.
Actually I do, its a functionality built into my seat and I do have the right use what I paid for. Just as you have the right to utilize the functionality of the seat you paid for as you wish. To recline or not is a choice and/or courtesy issue, not a passenger seated behind you rights issue.

Recline or not to recline is as tired an argument as Ford vs Chevy or Coke vs Pepsi. Its all your own personal preference to purchase/consume a product as you wish.

Maybe DL has the best intentions in mind with this "trial" but anyone who doesn't think for a second they wouldn't try to squeeze more capacity out of their metal any way they could is fooling themselves. This could be interpreted by some as a step towards that. In AA's world an action like this would be a sure bet..
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lucycan
100% supportive. There is simply no reason to recline your seat on a flight less than a few hours long.
You do not get to speak for everyone. I will recline my seat whenever I want to as long as it is not during takeoff and landing. Some of us prefer to sleep. This is a very poor customer service move.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:36 pm

I was in F on an A320 on Wednesday. The seat in front of me was clearly broken. When the seat reclined, it flew back, the right side was a bit farther back than the left and it had way more than the 5-6" than is normal. I could see the guy looking around like "what happened??" I wound up having to tilt the TV up and recline my seat all the way back so I could see it. You would think that from an experience like that I would be all for this change, but I am completely against it. I adjusted to the situation and was comfortable and fine. If I had an issue I would have politely asked the guy to put his seat up a bit, but I adjusted so I didn't need to. Perhaps a better solution would be to add a placard to remind people to check surroundings before reclining rather than forcing everyone to be uncomfortable.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
On balance I am for this
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Wow... the seemingly endless number of people that immediately do a FULL recline the second the wheels lift off the ground and somehow ALWAYS seem to sit in front of me, apparently aren't on FT.

Who knew?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Check that... as I moved down the thread more they're here...
eastindywalrus likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Wow... the seemingly endless number of people that immediately do a FULL recline the second the wheels lift off the ground and somehow ALWAYS seem to sit in front of me, apparently aren't on FT.

Who knew?
Here I am.
CO-PLAT and jj243 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I feel that the A320 in FC is worse with recline than others. It feels like that the seats come way to far back, even worse than the 739. However it could be my perception as I believe the A320 only has 36 inches pitch vs 37.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Seems that some people have forgotten that they are in a sealed metal tube filled with other people all sharing a space. When in such a space having an little empathy for their fellow passengers goes a lone ways.
Funny I was thinking your position shows no empathy. Certainly not for the person behind you.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

You do not get to speak for everyone. I will recline my seat whenever I want to as long as it is not during takeoff and landing. Some of us prefer to sleep. This is a very poor customer service move.
And the 3" of recline is really the difference between sleeping and not?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Wow... the seemingly endless number of people that immediately do a FULL recline the second the wheels lift off the ground and somehow ALWAYS seem to sit in front of me...
I get the ones in front of me that do the immediate seat recline, yet actually sit upright the entire flight, working on THEIR laptop while their seatback is preventing me from working on MY laptop.

And yes, DL, I am soooooooooo in favor of this change.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Really? The "whole point" of comfort-plus is using a laptop?

And who uses a laptop anymore?

I thought all the cool kids used their tablets and smart phones.

I'm in first-class or business-class on almost every flight. I think I've been in comfort-plus or, worse yet, main cabin maybe three or four times in 16 months. I hardly ever see anyone use a laptop anymore, at least on flights under 2 hours. And when I do see someone they're typically over 40.
Have you ever tried doing something like SPSS programming on a phone? Count me in as a decrepit 40+ type loving my laptop.
mot29, TommyD2 and writerguyfl like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:45 pm

They really need to expand this to the RJs, especially the F cabins on the EMB-170/175 series.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
They really need to expand this to the RJs, especially the F cabins on the EMB-170/175 series.
I disagree. The EMB-170/175 are great for reclining, and there is plenty of space to work even when the person in front of you is reclined. That's why I try to fly on those planes when possible. It's like sitting in a recliner at home, without the TV access.

Now if they could add adjustable headrests to the Delta CRJ-900 F seats, that would be a significant improvement. The non-adjustable Velcro flaps they have now offer zero head/neck support. Even the CRJ-700s have adjustable headrests in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.