Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy

Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy

Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I agree with this.

I had a flight recently and the chick in front of me reclined all the way back and super fast and she wasn't happy kept pushing the seat further and further back and when it wouldn't go further back she actually looked at me as if I was preventing it and sucked her teeth.
There was an emotional support chicken on your flight? And it had its own FC seat? Was this some celebrity fowl?
kop84, nlkm9, strickerj and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I agree with this.

I had a flight recently and the chick in front of me reclined all the way back and super fast and she wasn't happy kept pushing the seat further and further back and when it wouldn't go further back she actually looked at me as if I was preventing it and sucked her teeth.
So I have to ask what is it when somebody sucks their teeth????
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, is this a first in FT, everyone likes this change? Is it really unanimous? (Of course the thread is less than an hour old so that may change.)

I echo everyone else so far. I like this idea. I never recline (in Y) and would appreciate the extra space in front of me.
strickerj, manacit and ryw like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Bear96
Wow, is this a first in FT, everyone likes this change? Is it really unanimous? (Of course the thread is less than an hour old so that may change.)

I echo everyone else so far. I like this idea. I never recline (in Y) and would appreciate the extra space in front of me.
Pretty sure this is a dangerous situation if everyone on FT agrees!

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together – mass hysteria" Dr. Peter Venkman
Bear96 and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by lucycan
100% supportive. There is simply no reason FOR ME to recline MY seat on a flight less than a few hours long.
Obviously you don't have a medical back condition so I fixed your post.

Let me tell you that being able to recline a seat even after half an hour can make a world of difference.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
With this recent move, Delta claims it’s reducing recline because passengers want more space to watch TV, surf the internet, and eat and drink.
Seat recline has no impact on watching TV or surf the Internet (unless you bring a 17" Laptop). What meals are served on flights less than 2 hours ??
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Bear96

Originally Posted by kop84
Pretty sure this is a dangerous situation if everyone on FT agrees!

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together – mass hysteria" Dr. Peter Venkman
No, I commented above that I don't like this change for First Class and think that DL needs to increase F pitch. F pax should be able to have a decent amount of recline and not worry about the person behind them. I'm fine with this for main cabin on short haul flights, though I do feel bad for those on red-eye flights, which A320's are sometimes used for.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
I've always been of the thought that everyone is entitled to exactly as much recline as an airline seat will give you - I'll take any recline I'll get, especially when I want to sleep.

Delta made the great choice here of making the experience better for everyone by fixing the problem of giving people enough room to recline that it bothered the person behind them - as someone who often has to work on a laptop in Y, this is fantastic.
DiverDave, BenA, nlkm9 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Absolutely not in favor of this in F. Especially when they're flying those godawful 739s on redeyes. Increase the pitch and stop trying to cram a 757 amount of seats in a 737.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:18 am

I know I’m going to miss getting that dopamine rush when I recline my seat into someone’s knees. (kidding)
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Frogbone
Seat recline has no impact on watching TV or surf the Internet (unless you bring a 17" Laptop). What meals are served on flights less than 2 hours ??
You're joking, right? I have a 14" laptop and it is hard enough to use in Y without recline, and if someone successfully reclines (oftentimes my knees are jammed up against the seat so they can't), it makes it impossible to use.
ijgordon, strickerj and smc333 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Frogbone
Obviously you don't have a medical back condition so I fixed your post.

Let me tell you that being able to recline a seat even after half an hour can make a world of difference.
You can still recline it by 2 inches. The seats are already generously backward leaning (moderately pre-reclined). If your medical condition is so sensitive that it makes a difference between 2" and 4", you probably should avoid flying entirely (or buy F which maintains a more generous recline).
Statman and Jimmie Jet like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Delta is saying the back of the seatback is more important and more functional than the front (cushioned) part of the seatback.
They are probably right.

They are also devaluing the bulkhead seats even more since the biggest advantage of the bulkhead was not being reclined into. Legroom is already worse than when you have space under the seat in front of you to stretch out.
mot29 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ethernal
You can still recline it by 2 inches. The seats are already generously backward leaning (moderately pre-reclined). If your medical condition is so sensitive that it makes a difference between 2" and 4", you probably should avoid flying entirely (or buy F which maintains a more generous recline).
What planes are you flying on that are "already generously backward leaning?" Maybe, maybe Delta is in a position to decide if 2 to 4 inches is something that pays off for them vs. who won't fly but in my opinion you aren't. I have been contemplating a change of jobs because of my medical condition. Maybe they can find someone as loyal as I am to replace me. Maybe they will get someone taller that will be more loyal and profitable than I am because of reduction. Maybe not.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
They call this a "test."

Sure.

A "test" is to have half of these planes with one configuration and the other half with another configuration. This is hardly a "test."

This stinks for first-class.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.