Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy

Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Interesting approach. Can't say I disagree.

https://skift.com/2019/04/12/delta-a...-flyers-happy/
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
This is wonderful. It should be expanded to all of their domestic narrowbody fleet, not just a small subset.

Obviously the superior solution would be to increase pitch. But Delta is not going to do that, so I'll take it.

It blows my mind that I can sit in a First class seat and panic when someone reclines because I have to awkwardly reposition my laptop to avoid getting the screen crushed.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
100% supportive. There is simply no reason to recline your seat on a flight less than a few hours long.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
100% yes
Ysitincoach and krlcomm like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It's not as if these 62 A320s are used exclusively on short stages. Thye can call it a test but two months is a very quick roll-out. From the Skift link:

Delta is making the change only on its Airbus A320s, now with 157 seats. The first airplane will start flying this weekend, with the rest coming within the next two months. The airline calls the program a test, but it’s open-ended.

Seats in economy class, including extra-legroom seats, will recline two inches, down from four. In first class, seats will go from more than five inches of recline to roughly three and a half.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
I have a feeling this is going to turn into an argument about the "right to recline" but that aside I don't really care if they reduce it since I really don't recline if someone is behind me.

However that being said I reclined the other day in C+ (nobody behind me, which hardly happens) and it felt like the bottom cushion moved forward like in first. Was I imagining that? It was actually comfortable.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Support this in main cabin, but not in C+ and certainly not in F. Delta needs to increase pitch in the domestic F fleet--this is one spot where DL falls behind other domestic carriers. First Class pax should be able to recline enough to take a nap or be reasonably comfortable on a red-eye.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does DL still advertise more recline in C+?
DiverDave and kthomas like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does DL still advertise more recline in C+?
I have not seen that in a long time. I also think that they removed the extra recline from the narrow body fleet a long time ago, when it was still called Economy Comfort.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
I also agree with this change.

Originally Posted by ethernal
It blows my mind that I can sit in a First class seat and panic when someone reclines because I have to awkwardly reposition my laptop to avoid getting the screen crushed.
Yes, or have to contort myself to get up without jostling the seat in front of me if I'm in a window seat. It's one of the reasons I like Row 1.
mot29 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:06 am

I basically never recline (red eyes are an exception) and wouldn’t miss it if recline was eliminated all together.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Support this in main cabin, but not in C+ and certainly not in F. Delta needs to increase pitch in the domestic F fleet--this is one spot where DL falls behind other domestic carriers. First Class pax should be able to recline enough to take a nap or be reasonably comfortable on a red-eye.
It's definitely needed in both C+ and Y. One can argue about F since technically it is still workable when someone reclines in F (for the most part). '

Honestly I'd say get rid of recline entirely in Y and have 2" of recline in C+. I think that reflects how much "spare space" the current pitch allows for recline. I think I could deal with 2" of recline in front of me and still manage to get work done in C+ (it's hard with the full 4"). In Y, there is no room to give - you need all the space.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
This will be really good in F since when somebody reclines fully you almost have to climb over the person in the aisle seat from the window seat to get out.
ORDPSC and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I agree with this.

I had a flight recently and the chick in front of me reclined all the way back and super fast and she wasn't happy kept pushing the seat further and further back and when it wouldn't go further back she actually looked at me as if I was preventing it and sucked her teeth.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:27 am

I'm in favor of it too. unless you're going 4+ hours, there is little reason to need to recline your seat back that far. I rarely recline but when I do, I lean back a tiny bit, just enough to not feel quite so rigidly upright. And that is still an option. This sounds like a really good happy medium to me.
atlocal, dorisrpas and krlcomm like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.