FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1965060-delta-air-lines-plans-reduce-seat-recline-bet-make-flyers-happy.html)

MSPeconomist Apr 12, 2019 8:31 am

Originally Posted by HWGeeks (Post 30992420)
I agree with this.

I had a flight recently and the chick in front of me reclined all the way back and super fast and she wasn't happy kept pushing the seat further and further back and when it wouldn't go further back she actually looked at me as if I was preventing it and sucked her teeth.

There was an emotional support chicken on your flight? And it had its own FC seat? Was this some celebrity fowl?

vincentharris Apr 12, 2019 8:41 am

Originally Posted by HWGeeks (Post 30992420)
I agree with this.

I had a flight recently and the chick in front of me reclined all the way back and super fast and she wasn't happy kept pushing the seat further and further back and when it wouldn't go further back she actually looked at me as if I was preventing it and sucked her teeth.

So I have to ask what is it when somebody sucks their teeth????

Bear96 Apr 12, 2019 8:52 am

Wow, is this a first in FT, everyone likes this change? Is it really unanimous? (Of course the thread is less than an hour old so that may change.)

I echo everyone else so far. I like this idea. I never recline (in Y) and would appreciate the extra space in front of me.

kop84 Apr 12, 2019 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Bear96 (Post 30992592)
Wow, is this a first in FT, everyone likes this change? Is it really unanimous? (Of course the thread is less than an hour old so that may change.)

I echo everyone else so far. I like this idea. I never recline (in Y) and would appreciate the extra space in front of me.

Pretty sure this is a dangerous situation if everyone on FT agrees!

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together – mass hysteria" Dr. Peter Venkman

Frogbone Apr 12, 2019 8:58 am

Originally Posted by lucycan (Post 30992338)
100% supportive. There is simply no reason FOR ME to recline MY seat on a flight less than a few hours long.

Obviously you don't have a medical back condition so I fixed your post.

Let me tell you that being able to recline a seat even after half an hour can make a world of difference.

Frogbone Apr 12, 2019 9:04 am

With this recent move, Delta claims it’s reducing recline because passengers want more space to watch TV, surf the internet, and eat and drink.
Seat recline has no impact on watching TV or surf the Internet (unless you bring a 17" Laptop). What meals are served on flights less than 2 hours ??

jdrtravel Apr 12, 2019 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Bear96 (Post 30992592)

Originally Posted by kop84 (Post 30992603)
Pretty sure this is a dangerous situation if everyone on FT agrees!

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together – mass hysteria" Dr. Peter Venkman

No, I commented above that I don't like this change for First Class and think that DL needs to increase F pitch. F pax should be able to have a decent amount of recline and not worry about the person behind them. I'm fine with this for main cabin on short haul flights, though I do feel bad for those on red-eye flights, which A320's are sometimes used for.

manacit Apr 12, 2019 9:06 am

I've always been of the thought that everyone is entitled to exactly as much recline as an airline seat will give you - I'll take any recline I'll get, especially when I want to sleep.

Delta made the great choice here of making the experience better for everyone by fixing the problem of giving people enough room to recline that it bothered the person behind them - as someone who often has to work on a laptop in Y, this is fantastic.

Pianoman109876 Apr 12, 2019 9:09 am

Absolutely not in favor of this in F. Especially when they're flying those godawful 739s on redeyes. Increase the pitch and stop trying to cram a 757 amount of seats in a 737.

freQ Apr 12, 2019 9:18 am

I know I’m going to miss getting that dopamine rush when I recline my seat into someone’s knees. (kidding)

ethernal Apr 12, 2019 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Frogbone (Post 30992631)
Seat recline has no impact on watching TV or surf the Internet (unless you bring a 17" Laptop). What meals are served on flights less than 2 hours ??

You're joking, right? I have a 14" laptop and it is hard enough to use in Y without recline, and if someone successfully reclines (oftentimes my knees are jammed up against the seat so they can't), it makes it impossible to use.

ethernal Apr 12, 2019 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Frogbone (Post 30992611)
Obviously you don't have a medical back condition so I fixed your post.

Let me tell you that being able to recline a seat even after half an hour can make a world of difference.

You can still recline it by 2 inches. The seats are already generously backward leaning (moderately pre-reclined). If your medical condition is so sensitive that it makes a difference between 2" and 4", you probably should avoid flying entirely (or buy F which maintains a more generous recline).

FlyBitcoin Apr 12, 2019 9:24 am

Delta is saying the back of the seatback is more important and more functional than the front (cushioned) part of the seatback.
They are probably right.

They are also devaluing the bulkhead seats even more since the biggest advantage of the bulkhead was not being reclined into. Legroom is already worse than when you have space under the seat in front of you to stretch out.

indufan Apr 12, 2019 9:33 am

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 30992706)
You can still recline it by 2 inches. The seats are already generously backward leaning (moderately pre-reclined). If your medical condition is so sensitive that it makes a difference between 2" and 4", you probably should avoid flying entirely (or buy F which maintains a more generous recline).

What planes are you flying on that are "already generously backward leaning?" Maybe, maybe Delta is in a position to decide if 2 to 4 inches is something that pays off for them vs. who won't fly but in my opinion you aren't. I have been contemplating a change of jobs because of my medical condition. Maybe they can find someone as loyal as I am to replace me. Maybe they will get someone taller that will be more loyal and profitable than I am because of reduction. Maybe not.

hockeyinsider Apr 12, 2019 9:46 am

They call this a "test."

Sure.

A "test" is to have half of these planes with one configuration and the other half with another configuration. This is hardly a "test."

This stinks for first-class.