Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy

Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy

Old Apr 16, 19, 1:27 pm
  #166  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SFO/TPA
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 163
Originally Posted by TuxTom View Post
I'm honestly surprised with the number of people claiming 'bad backs' saying that full recline is the only way they're comfortable. My experience has been the total opposite because full recline leads to a more slouched position and overall bad posture. This might relieve the pressure for a bit, but I will certainly feel it for days afterwards. I usually only recline partway because this seems to strike the best balance between good posture and comfort, so I'm all for 2" limits in Y.
This is my experience as well, though I understand that it's likely a function of where in the spine the problem lies. I have classic L4-L5 herniated disc causing back pain and sciatica which is made much worse by slouching/reclining. The best defense is for me to sit bolt upright as much as possible so my weight is on the "sit" bones. Unfortunately, that means that I am physically quite a bit closer to the seat back in front of me so that if the person fully reclines, we're kissing cousins. Hence, F/D1 for me for anything over 3 hours.
dalehill is offline  
Old Apr 16, 19, 3:53 pm
  #167  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: IND
Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Posts: 20,073
Originally Posted by 18sas View Post
Delta One seat recline doesn't impact the person behind or in front of you so there'd be no point.
Touche.

Originally Posted by dalehill View Post
This is my experience as well, though I understand that it's likely a function of where in the spine the problem lies. I have classic L4-L5 herniated disc causing back pain and sciatica which is made much worse by slouching/reclining.
This is correct. On the flip side to this, I have stenosis (only fairly recently diagnosed but neurosurgeon says I have had it for years and years) in C5-8. Yes, if I want to the most comfort in the rest of my life, I stay on the couch at home inclined slightly from horizontal. Further complicating is that I have some lower back issues too but don't have a definitive diagnosis on those.
indufan is offline  
Old Apr 16, 19, 7:14 pm
  #168  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,033
Originally Posted by BenA View Post


As someone who in both cases thinks the airline should decide, I guess Iím in the circle.

787s with lockable window shades and hard shell premium economy or business seats are my jam.
But.... the airline *has* decided - they decided that the seats not only *should* recline, for the most part, but the level of recline should fall solely within the control of the person actually sitting in the seat. They could have easily (though not logically) put the recline button on the back of the seat so that the person behind could control it, but they *didn't* do so. Same with the window shade. The airlines have had 50+ years to fine tune a policy giving equal control of the shade to all member of a row (or even a cabin). But no airline that I have ever heard of has even gone so far as implementing a "majority rules" policy - so that if you are the lone open shade in an area, then you are required to fall in with the herd regardless of your desires. No airline that I know of has ever completely eliminated windows either - a move which would save an enormous amount of weight on every plane, saving them a gazillion bucks on fuel every year. I wonder why?
Qwkynuf is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 7:23 pm
  #169  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Jose, CA USA
Posts: 1,689
Originally Posted by Ceres View Post
It is also a little simplistic to say just because you want to play on your laptop, what I want is irrelevant.
I think you are ahead of yourself. I don't use a laptop on flights. I never intimated that what you have said is irrelevant. My post was basically an observation on the general aspects of what was being said on this thread. The issue remains, to me, how others are willing to look at the world from other than their own point of view.
FullFare is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 7:33 pm
  #170  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Jose, CA USA
Posts: 1,689
[QOTE=3Cforme;31001971]I don't believe that seat design is common across the AA narrowbody fleet.[/QUOTE]
Let me narrow it down to F cabin on 737 AA aircraft. Perhaps I should have done that. That's where I do most of my travel on AA. I only fly F cabin on AA and DL.

On AA F cabin, the recliner gives up his/her space in front of him/her. The recline does not go straight back into the space of the person behind. IMHO, that's how it should be.

I guess the only thing I can do is to appeal to the opinion of the subset of flyers who fly both DL and AA on 737 in F. There are sure to be a lot of them out there, and their opinion would be worth it to being heard.

Thanks
FullFare is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 7:43 pm
  #171  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Jose, CA USA
Posts: 1,689
I fly DL SFO-JFK in the DL One cabin once a month and have not had a problem with recline, from anybody. They're all coffin seats. Makes for minimal stress for anybody.
FullFare is offline  
Old Apr 18, 19, 8:50 pm
  #172  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,033
Originally Posted by FullFare View Post
Let me narrow it down to F cabin on 737 AA aircraft. Perhaps I should have done that. That's where I do most of my travel on AA. I only fly F cabin on AA and DL.

On AA F cabin, the recliner gives up his/her space in front of him/her. The recline does not go straight back into the space of the person behind. IMHO, that's how it should be.

I guess the only thing I can do is to appeal to the opinion of the subset of flyers who fly both DL and AA on 737 in F. There are sure to be a lot of them out there, and their opinion would be worth it to being heard.

Thanks
You keep harping on this point. It doesn't make any difference. There is a fixed amount of space inside an enclosed tube. The airline, the designers of aircraft interiors, and to a lesser extent the aircraft manufacturer are not unaware of how the seats function. They were designed to work a certain way, and that way was not an accident. Some seats are designed to not recline at all. Some glide as they recline (a lot of Delta's C+ seats do this). Some simply pivot backwards on a hinge near the bottom seat cushion. If an airline decides to deploy the glider recliners in their aircraft, it is *not* so that you can be more comfortable. It is *not* so that the person behind you can be more comfortable. Those issues are incidental to the real reason, which is that it allows them to decrease pitch while reducing the likelihood of a mutiny among the traveling public.

There is no panacea for this issue. Some believe that if the airline didn't want their seat to recline, they wouldn't have put a button on the armrest which allows the seat to recline. Others fall in to the NoRAAA mindset:
No
Recline for
Anyone
Anywhere
Anytime

Like almost every other subject on FT, no one is going to change anyone's mind.
indufan, emma dog and davidlhanson like this.
Qwkynuf is offline  
Old Apr 19, 19, 7:06 pm
  #173  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Jose, CA USA
Posts: 1,689
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
But.... the airline *has* decided - they decided that the seats not only *should* recline, for the most part, but the level of recline should fall solely within the control of the person actually sitting in the seat. They could have easily (though not logically) put the recline button on the back of the seat so that the person behind could control it, but they *didn't* do so. Same with the window shade. The airlines have had 50+ years to fine tune a policy giving equal control of the shade to all member of a row (or even a cabin). But no airline that I have ever heard of has even gone so far as implementing a "majority rules" policy - so that if you are the lone open shade in an area, then you are required to fall in with the herd regardless of your desires. No airline that I know of has ever completely eliminated windows either - a move which would save an enormous amount of weight on every plane, saving them a gazillion bucks on fuel every year. I wonder why?
I have tried to follow the "logic", if any, of the elements in this post, but it has pretty much totally escaped me. That said, I agree with one element of it that nothing in it has changed my mind.
FullFare is offline  
Old Apr 19, 19, 7:48 pm
  #174  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: SAN
Programs: AA EXP, US, DL, CO
Posts: 462
Originally Posted by gmt4 View Post
Another example of a Delta bad idea that UA and AA will feel compelled to follow in short order. Thanks.
Perfect!
AA100k is offline  
Old Apr 19, 19, 8:10 pm
  #175  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,174
You've got the sequence wrong. AA - with its MAX 8 rollout (11/17) and now its Project Oasis 738 reconfiguration featured reduced recline in F and Y.

Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21
3Cforme is offline  
Old Apr 19, 19, 11:30 pm
  #176  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,033
Originally Posted by FullFare View Post
I have tried to follow the "logic", if any, of the elements in this post, but it has pretty much totally escaped me. That said, I agree with one element of it that nothing in it has changed my mind.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you. Sorry.
Qwkynuf is offline  
Old Apr 20, 19, 2:58 am
  #177  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: JFK BOS LAX
Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Posts: 117
Originally Posted by Auston View Post
Interesting approach. Can't say I disagree.

https://skift.com/2019/04/12/delta-a...-flyers-happy/
Reclinging should be limited to elites only. Kettles would get zero inches, and elites could get 1-4 depending on their tier (Sikver thru Diamond).
CatchFlightsNotFeelings is offline  
Old Apr 20, 19, 5:34 am
  #178  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PDX
Programs: Delta Diamond & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, ICH Gold, *A Gold
Posts: 816
Originally Posted by emma dog View Post
I prefer to have the recline as is. I accept that the person in front of me may recline and I presume the person behind me knows I may recline. I think the recline in F is just sufficient.

I use my 16Ē Dell laptop in e+ and f routinely and get a lot of work done. I havenít had issues with people in front of me interfering. In regular economy, I canít use my computer regardless of recline because the space is just too tight.

Iím a 5í11Ēdude and my knees touch the seat in front when in regular economy. It doesnít seem to be significantly worse when the person in front of me is reclined. I have a history of back issues and the reclined position is much more comfortable to me... 60-90 minutes is about my personal limit to sit upright without walking around or reclining.
I recently found a long-lost uncle through DNA testing. Now you. You must be related. 5'11", bad back, will avoid this aircraft in the future.
CO-PLAT is offline  
Old Apr 20, 19, 8:12 am
  #179  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Posts: 20,845
What happened to articulating recline seats which, when you recline, move your seat pan forward so you reduce your own knee room? I know I've had one of those recently on either an AA or UA flight.
DenverBrian is offline  
Old Apr 20, 19, 9:43 am
  #180  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SLC & NYC
Programs: Diamond Medallion, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 648
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
Support this in main cabin, but not in C+ and certainly not in F. Delta needs to increase pitch in the domestic F fleet--this is one spot where DL falls behind other domestic carriers. First Class pax should be able to recline enough to take a nap or be reasonably comfortable on a red-eye.
while I agree with F needing to get more pitch back, absent that change I fully support them reducing F recline. I fly paid F nearly 100% of the time and when my laptop is out and someone in front of me reclines, it can be difficult to get anything done. I frequently book bulkhead first for this very reason.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
sdadept is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread