FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1965060-delta-air-lines-plans-reduce-seat-recline-bet-make-flyers-happy.html)

dalehill Apr 16, 2019 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by TuxTom (Post 31005274)
I'm honestly surprised with the number of people claiming 'bad backs' saying that full recline is the only way they're comfortable. My experience has been the total opposite because full recline leads to a more slouched position and overall bad posture. This might relieve the pressure for a bit, but I will certainly feel it for days afterwards. I usually only recline partway because this seems to strike the best balance between good posture and comfort, so I'm all for 2" limits in Y.

This is my experience as well, though I understand that it's likely a function of where in the spine the problem lies. I have classic L4-L5 herniated disc causing back pain and sciatica which is made much worse by slouching/reclining. The best defense is for me to sit bolt upright as much as possible so my weight is on the "sit" bones. Unfortunately, that means that I am physically quite a bit closer to the seat back in front of me so that if the person fully reclines, we're kissing cousins. Hence, F/D1 for me for anything over 3 hours.

indufan Apr 16, 2019 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by 18sas (Post 31005025)
Delta One seat recline doesn't impact the person behind or in front of you so there'd be no point.

Touche.

Originally Posted by dalehill (Post 31007344)
This is my experience as well, though I understand that it's likely a function of where in the spine the problem lies. I have classic L4-L5 herniated disc causing back pain and sciatica which is made much worse by slouching/reclining.

This is correct. On the flip side to this, I have stenosis (only fairly recently diagnosed but neurosurgeon says I have had it for years and years) in C5-8. Yes, if I want to the most comfort in the rest of my life, I stay on the couch at home inclined slightly from horizontal. Further complicating is that I have some lower back issues too but don't have a definitive diagnosis on those.

Qwkynuf Apr 16, 2019 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by BenA (Post 31005660)

As someone who in both cases thinks the airline should decide, I guess I’m in the circle.

787s with lockable window shades and hard shell premium economy or business seats are my jam.

But.... the airline *has* decided - they decided that the seats not only *should* recline, for the most part, but the level of recline should fall solely within the control of the person actually sitting in the seat. They could have easily (though not logically) put the recline button on the back of the seat so that the person behind could control it, but they *didn't* do so. Same with the window shade. The airlines have had 50+ years to fine tune a policy giving equal control of the shade to all member of a row (or even a cabin). But no airline that I have ever heard of has even gone so far as implementing a "majority rules" policy - so that if you are the lone open shade in an area, then you are required to fall in with the herd regardless of your desires. No airline that I know of has ever completely eliminated windows either - a move which would save an enormous amount of weight on every plane, saving them a gazillion bucks on fuel every year. I wonder why?

FullFare Apr 18, 2019 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Ceres (Post 31002641)
It is also a little simplistic to say just because you want to play on your laptop, what I want is irrelevant.

I think you are ahead of yourself. I don't use a laptop on flights. I never intimated that what you have said is irrelevant. My post was basically an observation on the general aspects of what was being said on this thread. The issue remains, to me, how others are willing to look at the world from other than their own point of view.

FullFare Apr 18, 2019 7:33 pm

[QOTE=3Cforme;31001971]I don't believe that seat design is common across the AA narrowbody fleet.[/QUOTE]
Let me narrow it down to F cabin on 737 AA aircraft. Perhaps I should have done that. That's where I do most of my travel on AA. I only fly F cabin on AA and DL.

On AA F cabin, the recliner gives up his/her space in front of him/her. The recline does not go straight back into the space of the person behind. IMHO, that's how it should be.

I guess the only thing I can do is to appeal to the opinion of the subset of flyers who fly both DL and AA on 737 in F. There are sure to be a lot of them out there, and their opinion would be worth it to being heard.

Thanks

FullFare Apr 18, 2019 7:43 pm

I fly DL SFO-JFK in the DL One cabin once a month and have not had a problem with recline, from anybody. They're all coffin seats. Makes for minimal stress for anybody.

Qwkynuf Apr 18, 2019 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by FullFare (Post 31015700)
Let me narrow it down to F cabin on 737 AA aircraft. Perhaps I should have done that. That's where I do most of my travel on AA. I only fly F cabin on AA and DL.

On AA F cabin, the recliner gives up his/her space in front of him/her. The recline does not go straight back into the space of the person behind. IMHO, that's how it should be.

I guess the only thing I can do is to appeal to the opinion of the subset of flyers who fly both DL and AA on 737 in F. There are sure to be a lot of them out there, and their opinion would be worth it to being heard.

Thanks

You keep harping on this point. It doesn't make any difference. There is a fixed amount of space inside an enclosed tube. The airline, the designers of aircraft interiors, and to a lesser extent the aircraft manufacturer are not unaware of how the seats function. They were designed to work a certain way, and that way was not an accident. Some seats are designed to not recline at all. Some glide as they recline (a lot of Delta's C+ seats do this). Some simply pivot backwards on a hinge near the bottom seat cushion. If an airline decides to deploy the glider recliners in their aircraft, it is *not* so that you can be more comfortable. It is *not* so that the person behind you can be more comfortable. Those issues are incidental to the real reason, which is that it allows them to decrease pitch while reducing the likelihood of a mutiny among the traveling public.

There is no panacea for this issue. Some believe that if the airline didn't want their seat to recline, they wouldn't have put a button on the armrest which allows the seat to recline. Others fall in to the NoRAAA mindset:
No
Recline for
Anyone
Anywhere
Anytime

Like almost every other subject on FT, no one is going to change anyone's mind.

FullFare Apr 19, 2019 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf (Post 31008410)
But.... the airline *has* decided - they decided that the seats not only *should* recline, for the most part, but the level of recline should fall solely within the control of the person actually sitting in the seat. They could have easily (though not logically) put the recline button on the back of the seat so that the person behind could control it, but they *didn't* do so. Same with the window shade. The airlines have had 50+ years to fine tune a policy giving equal control of the shade to all member of a row (or even a cabin). But no airline that I have ever heard of has even gone so far as implementing a "majority rules" policy - so that if you are the lone open shade in an area, then you are required to fall in with the herd regardless of your desires. No airline that I know of has ever completely eliminated windows either - a move which would save an enormous amount of weight on every plane, saving them a gazillion bucks on fuel every year. I wonder why?

I have tried to follow the "logic", if any, of the elements in this post, but it has pretty much totally escaped me. That said, I agree with one element of it that nothing in it has changed my mind.

AA100k Apr 19, 2019 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by gmt4 (Post 30992811)
Another example of a Delta bad idea that UA and AA will feel compelled to follow in short order. Thanks.

Perfect!

3Cforme Apr 19, 2019 8:10 pm

You've got the sequence wrong. AA - with its MAX 8 rollout (11/17) and now its Project Oasis 738 reconfiguration featured reduced recline in F and Y.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...2019-21-a.html

Qwkynuf Apr 19, 2019 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by FullFare (Post 31018644)
I have tried to follow the "logic", if any, of the elements in this post, but it has pretty much totally escaped me. That said, I agree with one element of it that nothing in it has changed my mind.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you. Sorry.

CatchFlightsNotFeelings Apr 20, 2019 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Auston (Post 30992320)
Interesting approach. Can't say I disagree.

https://skift.com/2019/04/12/delta-a...-flyers-happy/

Reclinging should be limited to elites only. Kettles would get zero inches, and elites could get 1-4 depending on their tier (Sikver thru Diamond).

CO-PLAT Apr 20, 2019 5:34 am

Originally Posted by emma dog (Post 30996823)
I prefer to have the recline as is. I accept that the person in front of me may recline and I presume the person behind me knows I may recline. I think the recline in F is just sufficient.

I use my 16” Dell laptop in e+ and f routinely and get a lot of work done. I haven’t had issues with people in front of me interfering. In regular economy, I can’t use my computer regardless of recline because the space is just too tight.

I’m a 5’11”dude and my knees touch the seat in front when in regular economy. It doesn’t seem to be significantly worse when the person in front of me is reclined. I have a history of back issues and the reclined position is much more comfortable to me... 60-90 minutes is about my personal limit to sit upright without walking around or reclining.

I recently found a long-lost uncle through DNA testing. Now you. You must be related. 5'11", bad back, will avoid this aircraft in the future.

DenverBrian Apr 20, 2019 8:12 am

What happened to articulating recline seats which, when you recline, move your seat pan forward so you reduce your own knee room? I know I've had one of those recently on either an AA or UA flight.

sdadept Apr 20, 2019 9:43 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 30992370)
Support this in main cabin, but not in C+ and certainly not in F. Delta needs to increase pitch in the domestic F fleet--this is one spot where DL falls behind other domestic carriers. First Class pax should be able to recline enough to take a nap or be reasonably comfortable on a red-eye.

while I agree with F needing to get more pitch back, absent that change I fully support them reducing F recline. I fly paid F nearly 100% of the time and when my laptop is out and someone in front of me reclines, it can be difficult to get anything done. I frequently book bulkhead first for this very reason.