Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DM Observation: less complimentary first class upgrades in 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DM Observation: less complimentary first class upgrades in 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Sitting on a 35% success rate as a DM this year in upgrades.

At this point I’ve stopped looking at the upgrade list on the phone and if I get moved cool.

Id say my percentage should really be in the low 20s but I’ve had some early Saturday morning flights where everybody got upgraded and they still left with empty seats skew the number higher
HDQDD and beachsideflier like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Frogbone
Quite the opposite here for 2019 :
75 % upgraded to F
13 % upgraded to C+
10 % CRJ 200
(numbers rounded down)
Pretty good mix of gate upgrades and upgrades at booking.
No complaints here.
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Okay, I'll bite. What would make you happy? They don't sell FCseats, even though someone else wants to pay? What would make you think that you would
have more priority than another Diamond. If FC isn't much more, why not pay for it (unless you are buying super low fares, in which case, maybe Delta doesn't even care
if you are happy). I think loyalty is worth more than an upgrade. It gets you improved support service, higher boarding priority, GUC's and RUC's, free baggage, free award redeposits,
and the list goes on and on. I travel frequently in a market where most of the year, upgrades are out of the question. In fact, it is difficult to even buy first class. I figure it is what it is, someone
is willing to pay a lot more than I am and they get what they want.
What would make me happy? well, I would say there have probably been other changes made at Delta over the years I've been a DM and PM that have not impacted me a negative way and caused me to question my loyalty. From what I'm learning about this change for FY'19 (the ability to use miles to upgrade) it's a big change and I've noticed it's had a negative impact on my travel as a DM. my recommendation to Delta would be to stop allowing upgrades to FC using miles and let people purchase upgrades with cold hard cash like how it's been in the past. Yes, I'll send them an email letting them know about my dissatisfaction and yes, I know nothing will change! lol

Also I understand we will have different opinions on what earns loyalty to Delta. I can respect that.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by beachsideflier
What would make me happy? well, I would say there have probably been other changes made at Delta over the years I've been a DM and PM that have not impacted me a negative way and caused me to question my loyalty. From what I'm learning about this change for FY'19 (the ability to use miles to upgrade) it's a big change and I've noticed it's had a negative impact on my travel as a DM. my recommendation to Delta would be to stop allowing upgrades to FC using miles and let people purchase upgrades with cold hard cash like how it's been in the past. Yes, I'll send them an email letting them know about my dissatisfaction and yes, I know nothing will change! lol

Also I understand we will have different opinions on what earns loyalty to Delta. I can respect that.
In my universe there is no such thing as loyalty to a company. I usually fly DL for the obvious reason, the bright orange jumpsuit I wear that says "ATL" on the front and has my SM number on the back. [And enough of my ITNs are international that the "other" airline down here does not work very well for me]

That said, I am reasonably happy with DL in recent years. I have learned to live with the pain of having to shop all over for split tickets, search partners for decent prices and all that junk. But in return I find an airline that handles the flight quite well.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
As a PM, I'm buying up to F probably 10% of the time on connections through Atlanta, especially if C+ doesn't look like it's going to clear at ticketing. That's taking away some DM's upgrades. The last one I purchased in F was a late afternoon ORD-ATL connecting to CRW.

When I was a GM last year, it was probably double because there were many flights where it was clear that my C+ upgrade wouldn't clear, so if I was going to buy C+ at ticketing then I'd consider buying F.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
Not new for 2019 but DM "companions" have reduced availability for comp. upgrades somewhat. With FCM (miles/cash) further reducing availability. Leisure routes tend to have more companions where business routes have more elites.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:26 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
From what I'm learning about this change for FY'19 (the ability to use miles to upgrade) it's a big change and I've noticed it's had a negative impact on my travel as a DM. my recommendation to Delta would be to stop allowing upgrades to FC using miles and let people purchase upgrades with cold hard cash like how it's been in the past.
It's not new, the opportunities/mechanics just work differently than they used to (see: Delta Mileage Upgrade Awards).

Ultimately Delta isn't going to give away for free what they can get money for. Liabilities off the balance sheet at a favorable rate is just as good as cash in the long term.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by davetravels
THIS!
No, I think DL is firmly adamant in WFBF (Want First Buy First).

Like any habit or addiction, once you're used to something for long enough for free and take it for granted, the chances are you are ready to start paying for it when it is no longer free. Honestly, that's just sound business (at least in this case, may be not when it comes to pharmaceuticals and such).
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc

correct me if I am wrong but didn’t you used to be able to buy up with miles? (Though it was more of a pain in the butt and you had to call in to do it over the phone)
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:48 pm

I am 100% this year so far on segments that are eligible (I've had 2 CRJ2 segments) and that I flew as originally ticketed (e.g. no SDC/SDS/irrops). That's 27 upgraded segments year to date.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
I've also been 90% this year - until tonight.

Now I'm #9 with 0 seats left (usually I'm in the top 2-3).

Mind you, it's ATL-SNA weekday night and everyone's Diamond on this plane

Anyway, enjoying a red wine in A Central SC with one bartender and a line 3 deep (although she's working faster than anyone I've ever seen, is as cheerful as anything too!)
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vincentharris

correct me if I am wrong but didn’t you used to be able to buy up with miles? (Though it was more of a pain in the butt and you had to call in to do it over the phone)
from the reading I've done today, it's a new thing to pay for an upgrade with miles. Paying with cash has been around for at least a year, maybe two.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RealHJ
No, I think DL is firmly adamant in WFBF (Want First Buy First).

Like any habit or addiction, once you're used to something for long enough for free and take it for granted, the chances are you are ready to start paying for it when it is no longer free. Honestly, that's just sound business (at least in this case, may be not when it comes to pharmaceuticals and such).
I wouldn't say it's 'free', it's a complimentary upgrade in recognition that I spend a lot of money with Delta and fly them exclusively. 'Free' would be if I bought one coach ticket this year and I promptly demanded Delta upgrade me to FC on the spot at no charge.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
I wouldn't say it's 'free', it's a complimentary upgrade in recognition that I spend a lot of money with Delta and fly them exclusively. 'Free' would be if I bought one coach ticket this year and I promptly demanded Delta upgrade me to FC on the spot at no charge.
...yes, and that is something that NW had (PU464s) for their loyal elite customers, that DL made sure to promptly discontinue (though it promised, in writing, to the contrary, just as it was doing so behind the scenes).

Just look at flying in Asia. WFBF all the way. No matter how ultra titanium elite you are, no upgrades for anyone, regardless of 5 hour or 50 minute flight. I am pretty sure DL (and AA, UA) wants to, sooner or later, get to that model in the US. That is, C+ becomes the new F for "complimentary" upgrades (and perhaps you can only get a comp upgrade to F if you buy C+ as a higher tier elite). That being said, other airlines like MF recognition of STE+ status is still pretty decent - while no upgrades to F, you get personal recognition from the FA and a goodies bag with some (fancier than the rest of the cabin gets) bottled water, snacks, newspaper, in addition to the adjacent seat next to you being kept empty if possible.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vincentharris

I'm still trying to sort through all of this, but I read a link on another thread where now 4,000 travelers a day are choosing to upgrade to FC using miles. So I guess something changed to make it much easier to use miles for upgrades because i recall the only option I had to upgrade to first last year was to pay with cash, not miles.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Okay, I'll bite. What would make you happy? They don't sell FCseats, even though someone else wants to pay? What would make you think that you would
have more priority than another Diamond. If FC isn't much more, why not pay for it (unless you are buying super low fares, in which case, maybe Delta doesn't even care
if you are happy). I think loyalty is worth more than an upgrade. It gets you improved support service, higher boarding priority, GUC's and RUC's, free baggage, free award redeposits,
and the list goes on and on. I travel frequently in a market where most of the year, upgrades are out of the question. In fact, it is difficult to even buy first class. I figure it is what it is, someone
is willing to pay a lot more than I am and they get what they want.
Agree. Don't forget the SDC benefit, especially when flying paid F. That is huge.
The complimentary upgrade is not the marquee benefit of being a DM or PM. It is simply a nice little add-on that I never expect to receive but am happy when I get it.

The other bonuses of loyalty with DL: On-time performance, professionalism, schedule, safety, and a corporate culture that really reveals itself in the product.

Since becoming a shareholder, I become a little less agitated as I see the value of my SM's seemingly erode with the frequency of complimentary upgrades. Because I know they are monetizing those seats instead (and yes, paying with SM's is monetizing as it takes a liability off the books).

I have never been more proud as a shareholder as I was yesterday when they shook off the A220 delays and government shutdown to post an incredible quarter. I am proud of the deal they got on those 339's. I am happy they are fortunately not embroiled in the MAX grounding. I hate that I cannot fly to HKG on DL metal but am happy they are smart enough to not lose money on such a route in the midst of an epic TPAC fare war.
And when a newbie to DL gets an AMEX and books DL instead of Spirit, then uses their bonus SM's to upgrade to F (at a horrible valuation) and takes "my" upgrade, I know DL is going to be stronger for it, and I am still going to get there at the same time and just as safely. And I know if I really wanted F I could have bought it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.