Search

No more middle seat upgrades!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
No more middle seat upgrades!

Who else got this email?
Or is this old news and I am the last to get the email? I don't recall this specific feature being discussed lately.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Available in the app, and in advance. I only saw this previously at check in, if I hadn't taken an upgrade.

Just set these preferences for my upcoming trips.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:58 am

Well I got upgraded to a "middle" seat yesterday. And checking my next trip I don't see this option. so..... it's apparently not available to all gold memberts.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:06 am

I received email this morning.

I clicked on the only reservation that I have that had potential upgrade and selected the "window" option. Will see what happens.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
"Middle Seat Upgrade" = Oxymoron
Spiff, strickerj, wlau and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
There are at least two scenarios I can think of where a middle seat upgrade is actually an upgrade:

1) I am already in a middle seat, just not C+ or the Exit Row. I would definitely rather have a C+ middle than a Y (non exit row) middle.
2) I have a tight connection and am way back in the plane.
bsagator, Zeeb, beachmouse and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:46 am

For once, I might be sitting in C+ (as opposed to the usual basic economy crowd). Got the email, let’s see how it goes!
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
I wonder how this will work for companions. If you don't care if you sit next to each other, would it put both of you in an aisle/window?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bloc0102
I wonder how this will work for companions. If you don't care if you sit next to each other, would it put both of you in an aisle/window?
It says "For now, this update is available only when you’re traveling by yourself." But that is a good question for future functionality. Maybe they will add something about only upgrade if seated with companion?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: DL GM/Hilton Gold
Just saw the email in my box a few minutes ago and updated to include C+ for window or aisle seats, where I used to leave it blank unless given the option at check-in to avoid the middle.
I knew as soon as I saw the email there would be a thread already.
defrosted likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by defrosted
It says "For now, this update is available only when you’re traveling by yourself." But that is a good question for future functionality. Maybe they will add something about only upgrade if seated with companion?
I see that now...sorry for not reading the entire post. I'm curious because I have a few trips planned with a 4 year old (so can't book exit row), and at 6'2" I do enjoy the extra legroom of C+. I don't mind sitting in the middle with him next to me, just don't want to be separated (although I'm sure anyone that would be seated next to my son would not want to be sitting next to a lone 4 year old and would be willing to switch seats, but I don't want to be that guy).

For now, I don't select the upgrade and look when my window opens to see if there is a window/middle available. I usually travel for leisure using miles, so shouldn't be giving up any priority.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
There are at least two scenarios I can think of where a middle seat upgrade is actually an upgrade:

1) I am already in a middle seat, just not C+ or the Exit Row. I would definitely rather have a C+ middle than a Y (non exit row) middle.
2) I have a tight connection and am way back in the plane.
I agree with you. There are scenarios where I would take a middle in C+. However, 90% of the time I'd rather be in an aisle further back than a middle in C+. So I'm glad they're finally adding the option to opt out. No matter where I'm at in Y an upgrade to first is an upgrade. But "Upgrades" to C+ are highly dependent on where I'm moving from and what my travel situation is. They could solve that by turning C+ in to eurobusiness and always leave the middle open, but there's zero percent chance of that happening as long as they can fill that seat with somebody.
defrosted likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bloc0102
I see that now...sorry for not reading the entire post. I'm curious because I have a few trips planned with a 4 year old (so can't book exit row), and at 6'2" I do enjoy the extra legroom of C+. I don't mind sitting in the middle with him next to me, just don't want to be separated (although I'm sure anyone that would be seated next to my son would not want to be sitting next to a lone 4 year old and would be willing to switch seats, but I don't want to be that guy).

For now, I don't select the upgrade and look when my window opens to see if there is a window/middle available. I usually travel for leisure using miles, so shouldn't be giving up any priority.
I just had the exact same situation, however I let it upgrade me and we were seated together in C+ on 4 flights. I figured take the upgrade and if we get split up let the gate agent figure it out or move us back but it wasn't an issue. There was a 5th flight we got first and we weren't together but the gate agent fixed it somehow so we could sit together. It made my day.
bloc0102 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Here's the old thread on this topic, started in June:
Comfort Plus Middle Seat Upgrade
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daloosh
Here's the old thread on this topic, started in June:
Comfort Plus Middle Seat Upgrade
That was in regards to the functionality if you didn't request an upgrade you could request non middle at check in.

Now (some of us for now) can do this in advance and manage seat preferences, not just avoid the middle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.