Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MSP - 4/10 to 4/12/19 - “Potentially Historic Storm”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP - 4/10 to 4/12/19 - “Potentially Historic Storm”

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
So fortunate that I got out standby last night! At boarding I told the GA that I would stay until Thursday if someone confirmed showed up wanting their seat. She suggested that I go now as I may not get out otherwise. Haven't seen any photos, but checking flight statuses it appears to be a complete mess there today. I still wouldn't have taken off.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Indeed it seems bad and roads are bad, so getting to and from the airport isn't easy.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Ooh yeah, always fun as a foreigner to experience a midwestern blizzard & the bycoming road conditions.
Everything currently cancelled out of Hector airport so i guess i'm going to enjoy those Fargo roads for a little bit longer.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Ooh yeah, always fun as a foreigner to experience a midwestern blizzard & the bycoming road conditions.
Everything currently cancelled out of Hector airport so i guess i'm going to enjoy those Fargo roads for a little bit longer.
The roads are shut down, no enjoying them either. I'm in Bismarck and just exited since I94 is closed Jamestown to MN state line. Also I29 is closed from SD state line to Grand Forks.

Confused why waiver hasnt been updated. I expect tomorrow to also be nightmarish.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Did anyone grab a screenshot of FlightAware earlier today during the multi-hour runway closure? I'd love to see the entire USA with no planes en route to MSP.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO

Confused why waiver hasnt been updated. I expect tomorrow to also be nightmarish.
Winds in MSP are supposed to diminish after midnight tonight. Friday should be fine. Hopefully.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Remember, it's not just having enough spares -- it's having enough planes, in the right places, with the right crew to fly them, with available hours, having the range (and other specs) to serve the needed routes. Among other specs, think of little details like no MD-88s into LaGuardia due to navigation equipment.

OK, not to hijack the thread, but I have never heard about the DL MD88s being operationally restricted from LGA. Could you expand on that? When did this start?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC

I’ll

My odyssey to BIS today. After leaving CLT 4 hours late we were diverted to Milwaukee for two hours before continuing on to MSP
JTE458 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC

After finally leaving MSP we then circled BIS while the ground crew made sure the tarmac was clear enough to land.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Well I was right. I changed my connection from xxx-MSP-DTW to xxx-ATL-DTW and of course my ATL-DTW flight was delayed 3+ hours because the 739 was inbound from MSP.

I can’t believe DL didn’t have any other aircraft available in ATL that they had to delay the flight to DTW because they had to use an aircraft that was stuck in MSP
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Missed connection in AMS resulted in re-routing through MSP. I begged them to not do it, but there was no reasonable alternative. We circled the field for 15 minutes while the runways were closed for snow removal. I got to spend another night in the fantastic JW Marriott @ Mall of America.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by RobertS975
OK, not to hijack the thread, but I have never heard about the DL MD88s being operationally restricted from LGA. Could you expand on that? When did this start?
There was a thread two years ago. MD-88 Retired from LGA

Back to the thread topic.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I checked road conditions, the interstates in South Dakota were all closed east of Rapid City, with the exception of right around Sioux Falls. I-29 was once again (still?) closed on most of the stretch between Omaha and Kansas City, but this might be due to earlier flooding problems.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:52 am

I was originally going from my location to MSP to my finally destination, that flight was delayed and I was able to get a similar timed flight from my location to ATL to MSP to my destination. I was told my flight DL 439 was canceled and I needed to rebook for today.
My boss was understanding, I was rebooked in the same class, no big deal.
Apparently that flight was never canceled for the storm. All online indications show me that it was still an on time flight. Which leads me to believe the flight was overbooked. I mean my bosses already knew there were a lot of flight cancelations so that would have understood if it was overbooked, I would have understood. I am fairly peeved about straight out lied too though.

My boss still believes that I was canceled for the storm, I don’t see any reason to say differently. I think all is well that ends well, (it hasn’t yet because I’m not back in my duty area), but my family and friends think I should say something. I don’t think being lied to, just because the storms make it believable, is actually acceptable.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: DL DM
I had a quick hop from DTW to MCI last night that was delayed 6+ hours (original depature scheduled for 8 PM, actual departure 2:30 AM). Multiple gate changes & swaps - just kept cascading the departure time down from 11 PM to 2:30 AM. Not a single one of the planned inbound birds had routed through the upper midwest (our final inbound was from New Orleans, original was Buffalo), so they really just had some nasty cascading effects from that closure.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...029Z/KDTW/KMCI

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.