Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MSP - 4/10 to 4/12/19 - “Potentially Historic Storm”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.

“Potentially Historic Storm” possible near MSP.

https://www.weather.gov/mpx/weatherstory
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: DL PM
Delta has not released a weather waiver yet, but they have published the following stating that they are "keep[ing] an eye on storm headed for Northern Plains".

https://news.delta.com/delta-teams-k...lains-mid-week
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Weather waiver
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Yep, just rebooked my connection from MSP to ATL on Thursday because of this. That means I'll likely get IRROPED in ATL due to T-Storms.
strickerj, wrp96 and ems717 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver
Okay, so my DTW-JFK leg on 4/11 has an inbound from ORD with that inbound from MSP (and then CLT and ATL prior). Can I expect Delta to perhaps originate my flight's plane from another source given the waiver? Do the collective 'we' think a delay is likely?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by griffy208
Can I expect Delta to perhaps originate my flight's plane from another source given the waiver?
Not really. On a very bad day DL might cancel the ~400 flights in-bound to MSP and the ~400 outbound from MSP -- but they're not going to change the routing of 800 flights. Dozens, maybe.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Not really. On a very bad day DL might cancel the ~400 flights in-bound to MSP and the ~400 outbound from MSP -- but they're not going to change the routing of 800 flights. Dozens, maybe.
If they cancel the outbound from MSP that would ultimately be DTW-JFK do they have sufficient spares to not cause an interruption to DTW-JFK, in theory?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL could proactively cancel flights to avoid having aircraft trapped at MSP.
griffy208 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:02 am

I'm flying LGA-MSP arriving in the afternoon on Friday, April 12. Should I be worried about a cancellation?

Last edited by LionNYC; Apr 9, 2019 at 11:08 am
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by griffy208
If they cancel the outbound from MSP that would ultimately be DTW-JFK do they have sufficient spares to not cause an interruption to DTW-JFK, in theory?
Remember, it's not just having enough spares -- it's having enough planes, in the right places, with the right crew to fly them, with available hours, having the range (and other specs) to serve the needed routes. Among other specs, think of little details like no MD-88s into LaGuardia due to navigation equipment.

I'm not predicting a total schedule wipeout at MSP on any day W,Th, or Fri. But, if one were to occur, no, I don't believe DL has the spare capacity to maintain flights to/from every other hub without disruption. (That's the extent of my willingness to play VP Ops today.) That's not to say they won't find a spare to operate your specific DTW-JFK flight, nor that you won't find a seat on another DL DTW-JFK flight.
griffy208 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LionNYC
I'm flying LGA-MSP arriving in the afternoon on Friday, April 12. Should I be worried about a cancellation?
By Friday afternoon, the worst of the storm should be past. MSP is generally excellent about plowing runways, etc., so I probably wouldn't be too concerned, although you might want to consider using the weather waiver to change your trip. DL tends to delay rather than cancel flights when possible, so take that into account in making plans. Also, flights are likely to be full with customers who postponed Thursday travel, so I would expect VDBs.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Remember, it's not just having enough spares -- it's having enough planes, in the right places, with the right crew to fly them, with available hours, having the range (and other specs) to serve the needed routes. Among other specs, think of little details like no MD-88s into LaGuardia due to navigation equipment.

I'm not predicting a total schedule wipeout at MSP on any day W,Th, or Fri. But, if one were to occur, no, I don't believe DL has the spare capacity to maintain flights to/from every other hub without disruption. (That's the extent of my willingness to play VP Ops today.) That's not to say they won't find a spare to operate your specific DTW-JFK flight, nor that you won't find a seat on another DL DTW-JFK flight.
My end goal is to get to EDI, so I'm hoping they'd consider routing DTW-AMS-EDI which follows a very similar timetable. Being confirmed C+ though I suspect I'd get downgraded to Main Cabin rather than Upgraded to PS on that DTW-AMS leg.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Life Plat, HHonors DM
I fly in and out of MSP every week. This has been some winter! I just rebooked TPA-MSP from Thursday to Friday afternoon, hoping things will be cleaned up by then, but I will look at it carefully tonight and tomorrow and switch to Saturday if I have to. The waiver does not show up on the website for me, but the Delta Diamond desk had it when I called about half an hour ago.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MinnTee
I fly in and out of MSP every week. This has been some winter! I just rebooked TPA-MSP from Thursday to Friday afternoon, hoping things will be cleaned up by then, but I will look at it carefully tonight and tomorrow and switch to Saturday if I have to. The waiver does not show up on the website for me, but the Delta Diamond desk had it when I called about half an hour ago.
I posted a link to the waiver in post #3 . Right now only the 10th and 11th have waivers.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I'm currently booked to fly out first thing tomorrow morning and back the last flight of the day Friday night. So far, I'm leaving things as is because it looks like the snow will basically be confined to the 60 or so hours when I'm out of MSP, and I think my flights will be OK. Not looking forward to coming back to "4-to-24-inches" of snow though. Yuck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.