Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA stay seated whole flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Honestly, I think there should be no service on flights under an hour. On a ATL-TPA flight on a 739 a few days ago, the crew struggled to complete a full service due to the flight being like 56 minutes. I am fine not eating/drinking for that short of a period. Maybe they could leave the water bottles that are always in F at every seat.
Meanwhile, airlines like Emirates, Qatar, and Turkish can complete a meal service in under 60 minutes, let alone 90 minutes.

With Delta using pre-select for meals in first-class and Delta One business-class on longer flights, it could easily offer a meal on a pre-ordered basis on much shorter flights. Even if it was a cold meal at least give a first-class passenger the option.
Spiff, susanc and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
That's a bit of a laugh. I know Europe is not America, but I've been on flights like London-Paris or Geneva-London of about an hour's duration in the air where the crew manages to serve 150 passengers a full trayed lunch or snack. It's not the duration that rules out amenities, it's crew accountability and motivation.
It's more staffing levels - which is an airline management decision - than "crew motivation."

LHR - CDG / GVA length flights serving a full meal to the equivalent of a 757 economy cabin have more than two F/As.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackvogt
Honestly, I think there should be no service on flights under an hour. On a ATL-TPA flight on a 739 a few days ago, the crew struggled to complete a full service due to the flight being like 56 minutes.
I agree. I routinely fly ATL-TPA. Usually I try to be in F of course but a few times I have been stuck in the back of Y and have seen the crew bust their tails but still not be able to serve drinks to the last few rows with the drinks trolley before they have to stop the service and prepare the cabin for landing.

It would be a lot saner, and better in terms of customer expectations, on such short flights to just have them come through with trays of pre-poured cups of water and maybe one or two of the most popular drinks like coffee for morning flights, and honor special requests as time permits. (OR staff the flights with more F/As, which is beyond the crew's control.) That way at least everyone gets SOMEthing.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:33 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by Bear96
I agree. I routinely fly ATL-TPA. Usually I try to be in F of course but a few times I have been stuck in the back of Y and have seen the crew bust their tails but still not be able to serve drinks to the last few rows with the drinks trolley before they have to stop the service and prepare the cabin for landing.

It would be a lot saner, and better in terms of customer expectations, on such short flights to just have them come through with trays of pre-poured cups of water and maybe one or two of the most popular drinks like coffee for morning flights, and honor special requests as time permits. (OR staff the flights with more F/As, which is beyond the crew's control.) That way at least everyone gets SOMEthing.
Or honestly, they should have those carts they use when there is a delay with snacks and drinks and just make an announcement upon boarding for people to grab what they wish as the flight is too short for a service. Maybe I'm being too logical but I like the idea....
jamesteroh and ExArkie like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver

Before they did away with drink service entirely on VPS-ATL, I remember they used to do a limited drink service with water and orange juice in little pudding cup-like containers that were quick and easy to pass out.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:01 am

That's a bit of a laugh. I know Europe is not America, but I've been on flights like London-Paris or Geneva-London of about an hour's duration in the air where the crew manages to serve 150 passengers a full trayed lunch or snack. It's not the duration that rules out amenities, it's crew accountability and motivation.
We've noticed even when flying KLM out of Atlanta that the flight attendants jump up much sooner to start service than DL FAs ever would have...
Old May 20, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by NoleATL
We've noticed even when flying KLM out of Atlanta that the flight attendants jump up much sooner to start service than DL FAs ever would have...
It can vary a lot within a single airline, even on the same route.

I have flown ATL-TPA with 1 PDB and 2 in air runs in F. I Have also been in C+ and seen the service discontinued shortly after my single drink.

As far as KLM though, they might not have been as attuned to how fast the pop-up t-storms can hit in ATL. Would be really embarrassing if the FA gets up quickly to start service, and then spills the drink in the customers lap because they missed the cup wide right. :-)
Old May 21, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
It's more staffing levels - which is an airline management decision - than "crew motivation."
I was on AS ORD-SEA in premium class this weekend where flight time was 3h 45m and the first drink cart did not appear until 1h 40m into the trip. That has nothing to do with staffing levels.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I was on AS ORD-SEA in premium class this weekend where flight time was 3h 45m and the first drink cart did not appear until 1h 40m into the trip. That has nothing to do with staffing levels.
+1 WN has no problems doing a full service on a MDW/DTW trip
IndyHoosier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.