Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA stay seated whole flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by SSF556
Flight # 2092 today. Light chop on the way out of ATL. No service on an hour and half flight because if possible turbulence. This might be the new Delta.
Delta is so scared of FAs unionizing I wonder if this will ever get better despite customers complaining. They’ll always say it’s under the veil of safety which we know it is not like 80 percent of the time.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
That's a bit of a laugh. I know Europe is not America, but I've been on flights like London-Paris or Geneva-London of about an hour's duration in the air where the crew manages to serve 150 passengers a full trayed lunch or snack. It's not the duration that rules out amenities, it's crew accountability and motivation.
Same on short-hop intra-Asia flights. Full service and often second beverage service for the whole plane on circa 1 hr flights.

Seems to me that "turbulence" is being used more and more these days to suspend or eliminate cabin service.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Honestly, I think there should be no service on flights under an hour. On a ATL-TPA flight on a 739 a few days ago, the crew struggled to complete a full service due to the flight being like 56 minutes. I am fine not eating/drinking for that short of a period. Maybe they could leave the water bottles that are always in F at every seat.
CX will happily fully cater a 773 (400 seats), A330 (300+ seats) and A350 (330 seats) on a 90 minute flight as will others around Asia. Though to be fair they are all cutting back.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
It’s a lack of service standard. Sub 1 hr flights in Asia get you full meals and in the US flights are “too short” for water.
Spiff, fpmurphy and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: too many
Even on a 15-minute flight in domestic Greenland the crew managed to serve passengers a full dash-8 with water bottles and a basket of snacks.
Spiff, narvik, hi55us and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Seems to me that "turbulence" is being used more and more these days to suspend or eliminate cabin service.
Too often, it's whether the FAs are feeling it or not. A little while ago my wife and I did a SEA-YVR return in AS F. On the way up there were 5 or 6 of us up front; the FA claimed short flight duration made service impossible, and relaxed and read a gossip magazine in her jumpseat. On the way back: full F cabin but different FA, PDBs for all including coffee, then cocktails in the air. Fine weather both directions.

Once the forward door is closed management can't make them do anything.
Spiff and fpmurphy like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by dnrmil

I should have clarified in my response that none of my flights were under 1 hour so plenty of time and has been the norm in the past. It has been a noticeable and expected change in the last couple of weeks. Happened on both legs today, will see what happens Friday.
If you click on the "meal service" under the flight it will tell you if there is a beverage service or not. On the DTW/CHI and ATL/AGS I take quite a bit with no beverage service in Y it states clearly there is no service. I understand the ATL/AGS but DTW/CHI makes no sense that they can't do at least water and snacks since Southwest does a full service on the DTW/MDW flights and I've been offered refills before on that flight on WN if the plane is pretty empty. If the website is showing a beverage service on a flight then people should complain.

On short flight in F I've noticed the service is a lot better on a connection carrier than mainline Delta flights.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Avios
Absolutely Fabulous

yUOTE=flyerCO;30978439]I understand turbulence happens. However multiple times now on short SLC flights the crew stays seated the whole flight. They claim there's turbulence that severe. Only one problem! There is no turbulence, at all. It seems they just don't want to work. No service to the F cabin. Heck, they don't even get up to do a final cabin check! As a pilot I've gone online to look at PIREPs
, TAFs, SIGMETS and winds aloft. None indicate severe turbulence, in fact PIREPs normally indicate no turbulence .

Last night again flying out of SLC. Not one bump. Yet again, stay seated whole flight duration.[/QUOTE]
There is a film of a UK TV comedy series called Absolutely Fabulous. There's an airline boarding scene where a flight attendant describes herself as the designated DNB (do nothing person) - not the expression used but trying to stay within the rules!. It's very funny and clearly this FA is a follower of AbFab
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220
That's a bit of a laugh. I know Europe is not America, but I've been on flights like London-Paris or Geneva-London of about an hour's duration in the air where the crew manages to serve 150 passengers a full trayed lunch or snack. It's not the duration that rules out amenities, it's crew accountability and motivation.
Originally Posted by sdix
You beat me to it! In some cases it's a hot meal in Business on a short hop. And they do it with a smile.......
This has been my experience on AF and KL short flights. BHX-AMS and MAN-AMS (which are def sub 60 minutes) and KL serves a full plated meal in the front and a box snack in Y...on a 739...and serves every pax. I have a lot of beefs with KL, but I gotta give them credit for the efficiency of the service, even down to the way they collect the garbage while simultaneously sorting the recyclables. It CAN be done - the question is if the FA's WANT to do it.
BearX220, fpmurphy, hi55us and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Interesting to read this thread - 4/8 I flew DCA-CVG-LAX. Sat up front on the short DCA-CVG flight on Endeavor and had great service from a friendly FA, in fact just wrote in to compliment her.
CVG-LAX was really bumpy for the first 90 minutes or so. I was in PE on this one. The FA got earphones out to PE before we took off and explained they would hold off on service until we cleared the turbulence. But once we did, excellent service, several passes for beverages and the full snack basket. The FA event went back to get some more bananas when they ran out just before me. Even the FC FA brought a tray of coffees and teas to PE. This thread makes me think I need to compliment this crew too.
sdadept and hi55us like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by mot29
Interesting to read this thread - 4/8 I flew DCA-CVG-LAX. Sat up front on the short DCA-CVG flight on Endeavor and had great service from a friendly FA, in fact just wrote in to compliment her.
CVG-LAX was really bumpy for the first 90 minutes or so. I was in PE on this one. The FA got earphones out to PE before we took off and explained they would hold off on service until we cleared the turbulence. But once we did, excellent service, several passes for beverages and the full snack basket. The FA event went back to get some more bananas when they ran out just before me. Even the FC FA brought a tray of coffees and teas to PE. This thread makes me think I need to compliment this crew too.
I love it when I get a connecting itinerary thru CVG!
hortkie likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If there was info indicating it was even a possibility I'd understand, especially given short length of flight. However, as noted in OP, I've looked up PIREPs, SIGMETs, TAFs, and Winds Aloft. Negative on all but one or two flights for turbulence of any moderation, muchless significant turbulence requring sitting down for whole flight.
While Pireps, Sigmet's, and TAF's do provide some basic information to us public, airline operations and dispatchers have access to much better weather and turbulence data. Stability reports, lift index reports, standard temperature deviations, etc, all fed into fancy software to predict turbulence. When I visited operations once, I was amazed at what they had access too, and all right there on a fancy map. It's a lot more information that what us get too see on the normal aviation weather sites that don't require a subscription.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by saxman66
While Pireps, Sigmet's, and TAF's do provide some basic information to us public, airline operations and dispatchers have access to much better weather and turbulence data. Stability reports, lift index reports, standard temperature deviations, etc, all fed into fancy software to predict turbulence. When I visited operations once, I was amazed at what they had access too, and all right there on a fancy map. It's a lot more information that what us get too see on the normal aviation weather sites that don't require a subscription.
I do understand they have very complicated weather forecasting departments. However when it comes down to it, the info the airline is using is the same. Where do you think their data comes from to begin with? It's how that info is interpreted/processed that differs. When nothing in any of those indicates severe, muchless any turbulence it's really hard to see the airline system coming to the conclusion that there's severe turbulence along the whole route. Also if there system really is saying this then it's a bad system. It's not like this type of incident is a one off.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mot29
I suspect that there's no PE = Premium Economy cabin on CVG-LAX as I don't believe DL uses either the A350 or 777 on this route. Couldn't you mean C+ seats?
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:05 pm

LOL. Classic. And dead on. You think it's bad on DL? Try #Iflyalaska

Originally Posted by jeet
Those FAs must have joined from Alaska.
Its a normal occurrence on Alaska short flights. In my opinion these FAs should be the ones piloting the aircraft as they know more about the turbulence then pilots.

On one of my Alaska flights, the pilot pointedly came on and announced that the flight will be smooth RIGHT AFTER FA announced that they will not serve due to turbulence that is expected. Go Figure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.