FA stay seated whole flight

Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

I got the impression jackvogt was referring to service in the Y cabin. And yes, Ive been on short hops where the FAs were unable to complete service throughout the Y Cabin because the flight wasnt long enough, and I would be fine if for the Main Cabin, they just did the Water Bottle service, either just mini Dasani bottles or the big bottle and plastic cups to make sure everyone got something versus doing a "full service" where they only get through 1/2 or 2/3rds of the cabin before having to stop service and put the carts away.

The flight last night was one that was only water bottles in Y as flight is only 55 minutes. (DL1133 SLC/BZN) Not like they need to worry about a full drink service. I asked the pilot while walking through airport on way out where all the turbulence was. They acted shocked that I thought there was supposed to be any.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
That's a bit of a laugh. I know Europe is not America, but I've been on flights like London-Paris or Geneva-London of about an hour's duration in the air where the crew manages to serve 150 passengers a full trayed lunch or snack. It's not the duration that rules out amenities, it's crew accountability and motivation.
You beat me to it! In some cases it's a hot meal in Business on a short hop. And they do it with a smile.......
BearX220, Spiff, enviroian and 7 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Flight attendant injuries due to turbulence have gone up over recent years and I believe the regional in question has really started to take turbulence more seriously. So this is coming from management. In recent month pilot's are asked to communicate anticipated turbulence to FA's more frequently now with actual instructions whether or not they can be up. Dispatch has been trying to do a better job at sending predicted turbulence reports to pilot's as well. So perhaps the information the pilot's got is that it is going to be bumpy, and they asked the FA's to remain seated. You should certainly complain, but it might not change much if it's safety related.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
At UA they dont pretend. On flights less than an hour, It is not unusual for FA to announce the flight was too short for service, proceed to pour herself a drink, and sit down to enjoy the rest of the fight with a magazine. It was frustrating sitting in F watching her having a spa hour instead of working.
BearX220, Spiff, Gerbs and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
The regular DL flights from BNA to ATL never have main cabin service. If all goes well, its usually about 50 minutes gate to gate. I can live without a sippy cup of water that long. First class will usually get a PDB and then a refill.

I was on a DL flight from DTW to CLE and its literally a hop across a choppy lake. The dude next to me was about to complain when the FA just sat in the jump seat until she announced we were just starting our descent. We might have been in the air 20 minutes tops. I survived. There was no service in any cabin.

I don't blame them. I paid for a safe, comfortable, on time flight not for a soda.
nancypants and jgor like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by saxman66
Flight attendant injuries due to turbulence have gone up over recent years and I believe the regional in question has really started to take turbulence more seriously. So this is coming from management. In recent month pilot's are asked to communicate anticipated turbulence to FA's more frequently now with actual instructions whether or not they can be up. Dispatch has been trying to do a better job at sending predicted turbulence reports to pilot's as well. So perhaps the information the pilot's got is that it is going to be bumpy, and they asked the FA's to remain seated. You should certainly complain, but it might not change much if it's safety related.
If there was info indicating it was even a possibility I'd understand, especially given short length of flight. However, as noted in OP, I've looked up PIREPs, SIGMETs, TAFs, and Winds Aloft. Negative on all but one or two flights for turbulence of any moderation, muchless significant turbulence requring sitting down for whole flight.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: Delta-Plat, USAir, Marriott-Plat, HHonors-Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I understand turbulence happens. However multiple times now on short SLC flights the crew stays seated the whole flight. They claim there's turbulence that severe. Only one problem! There is no turbulence, at all. It seems they just don't want to work. No service to the F cabin. Heck, they don't even get up to do a final cabin check! As a pilot I've gone online to look at PIREPs
, TAFs, SIGMETS and winds aloft. None indicate severe turbulence, in fact PIREPs normally indicate no turbulence .

Last night again flying out of SLC. Not one bump. Yet again, stay seated whole flight duration.
Interesting as Ive felt the same way the last couple of weeks, this has become the norm rather than the exception. Before takeoff the flight attendant and Captain make announcements that due to expected turbulence they will request the flight attendants to keep their seats and then if possible they do a quick rundown the aisle with a glass of water. Overall these have been very smooth flights. At the end of the flight they make their standard apology that the turbulence was less than expected. Im all for safety and feel bad for being annoyed but it is becoming expected.

I understand their #1 requirement is safety but if you are moving away from providing in flight services then own that motto and adjust your pricing and move to the model that will charge for snacks, drinks, etc.
Gerbs, MSPeconomist and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:50 pm

If multiple folks have experienced this lately then I fear this is the latest 'enhancement' from delta. And we all should be happy because this is for our safety.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I find it ridiculous that on here there are many experiences of FA's not doing service on these flights yet I have flown DAB-ATL a lot which is a sub one hour flight, on completely full MD88's, MD90's, A321's, 739's, and 752's and the FA's have managed to do full drink/snack service. This is just screaming laziness to me.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I thought Delta didn't beverage service on flights under 300 miles in Y. They never do them in Y on DTW to chicago (even though Southwest can manage to do a full beverage service on a DTW/MDW flight). If they are expecting the turbulance to be that bad the entire flight then I hope they are at least doing a PDB and offering passengers refills while still on the ground.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I thought Delta didn't beverage service on flights under 300 miles in Y. They never do them in Y on DTW to chicago (even though Southwest can manage to do a full beverage service on a DTW/MDW flight). If they are expecting the turbulance to be that bad the entire flight then I hope they are at least doing a PDB and offering passengers refills while still on the ground.
Full beverage service in YC on Delta Shuttle LGA-DCA-LGA which is sub-250 miles.....its an exception route but shows when Delta wants to offer it they certainly can enforce it.

I foresee a memo going out to FAs reminding them of service standards soon, since this clearly isnt a one off issue.

Keeping sending in the complaints!
Spiff and jamesteroh like this.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Apr 8, 2019 at 7:56 pm
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:46 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've flown on 30 seat flts between Farmingdale (Republic Airport), NY and Atlantic City, duration 30 minutes. The FA provided drink/snacks. Comparing fewer F on DL with 30 seats on my flt shows it can be done.
Spiff and jamesteroh like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: Delta-Plat, USAir, Marriott-Plat, HHonors-Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I should have clarified in my response that none of my flights were under 1 hour so plenty of time and has been the norm in the past. It has been a noticeable and expected change in the last couple of weeks. Happened on both legs today, will see what happens Friday.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jeet
If multiple folks have experienced this lately then I fear this is the latest 'enhancement' from delta. And we all should be happy because this is for our safety.
Don't be happy about not getting the product that was advertised and for which you paid. Complain to DL.
Spiff, AANYC1981 and 1readyset2go like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:59 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Flight # 2092 today. Light chop on the way out of ATL. No service on an hour and half flight because if possible turbulence. This might be the new Delta.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.