Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Award ticket in O class different miles charged

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award ticket in O class different miles charged

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75
Question Award ticket in O class different miles charged

Trying to book TPE-JFK-DCA. Same flight (CI + DL) both flight on both trips show O availability. If I book in September Delta wants 85k miles. If I book within 2 weeks, they are charging 105k miles. Spoke to 2 different agents and they are telling me that even in O class there are multiple levels of awards which I think is BS. Any experience on how to get this fixed? Are they charging a 20k surplues for close in bookings? I noted a pattern online 105k withing a month, 95k after 30 days and 105k after 60.
Thanks in advance for your help or info

Angel
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by amiras
Trying to book TPE-JFK-DCA. Same flight (CI + DL) both flight on both trips show O availability. If I book in September Delta wants 85k miles. If I book within 2 weeks, they are charging 105k miles. Spoke to 2 different agents and they are telling me that even in O class there are multiple levels of awards which I think is BS. Any experience on how to get this fixed? Are they charging a 20k surplues for close in bookings? I noted a pattern online 105k withing a month, 95k after 30 days and 105k after 60.
Thanks in advance for your help or info

Angel
yes, O does not have the same cost for every date; there is nothing to get fixed. book when you see the price you want. if platinum and can re-deposit for free, then book now, and change if the price drops
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The agents are correct, there are multiple levels and they all book into O. The award level amount and the booking requirements are listed at the "fare rules" link when you go to book an award. If you follow the link, you will see that the 85K awards have a fare basis code of CSMH850 and have a 60-day advance booking requirement. The 95K awards are CSMG950 awards and have a 21-day advance booking requirement. The 105K awards with no advance booking requirement are CSM1050 awards. Most of DL's lowest level awards have some sort of advance booking requirement (for US domestic awards, it is typically 21 days). It is similar to revenue fares, where the cheaper fare classes typically have advance purchase requirements. It is not at all unusual to have multiple fare filings book into the same booking class. For example, Delta has many different Comfort+ fare filings on routes (to go with each main cabin fare filing), but they all book into the same 'W' booking class.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 8, 2019 at 10:46 am
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:25 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by amiras
Spoke to 2 different agents and they are telling me that even in O class there are multiple levels of awards which I think is BS.
I did a thread search, and this goes back even further than I thought it did:

New award levels

note the levels listed in the wiki on that thread. When you're booking you'll only see O or N but on the receipt you'll see the two-letter code if not booked at the lowest level.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Yes, I thought this practice started with the new award search engine from November '14, when, more usefully, they began adding a lot of partners to online search.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
I did a thread search, and this goes back even further than I thought it did:

New award levels

note the levels listed in the wiki on that thread. When you're booking you'll only see O or N but on the receipt you'll see the two-letter code if not booked at the lowest level.
Don't see them using separate two-letter booking classes any more for the different levels. Receipts all show only O or N booking classes for DL awards. The underlying fare basis codes of the awards (from which the mileage levels are derived) are listed in the Fare Details: section of the email receipt. Awards on partners can book into different booking classes.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
Don't see them using separate two-letter booking classes any more for the different levels. Receipts all show only O or N booking classes for DL awards. The underlying fare basis codes of the awards (from which the mileage levels are derived) are listed in the Fare Details: section of the email receipt. Awards on partners can book into different booking classes.
DL metal flights still use two letter fare classes. If you book in the app it shows you the two letter code during booking. The receipt always just shows O/N.
Partner awards book into whatever the partner uses. For Skyteam airlines this is O for business, and N/X for coach. Other partners uses different fare classes.

As for OP, if the DL metal flight isn't available at the lowest level then pricing becomes additive. It means you have to book an award for TPE-JFK and a separate award JFK-DCA. If JFK-DCA is available at the lowest "saver" level then you can book one award TPE-DCA instead.

Last edited by flyerCO; Apr 9, 2019 at 7:37 am
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many skyteam partners book into X for coach awards. Didn't realize the app still shows the two letter booking classes. But looking at it more closely, it appears that the second letter in the booking class is simply the third letter from the fare basis code.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 9, 2019 at 7:37 am
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:44 pm
Suspended

On DL metal, O awards track the fare classes of the corresponding revenue fare.

so the two digit codes are OZ, OI, OD, OC, and OJ. Just like Z/I/D/C/J revenue fares.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WalletVoter
On DL metal, O awards track the fare classes of the corresponding revenue fare.

so the two digit codes are OZ, OI, OD, OC, and OJ. Just like Z/I/D/C/J revenue fares.
They use the classes from the revenue buckets but it does not actually track the availability in the revenue buckets. DL17 and DL19 both have Z revenue bucket availability on 10/16, but if you try booking an award ticket on them you get OI second level awards instead of an OZ. So it seems pretty clear that the award buckets for each flight are maintained separately from the revenue buckets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.