Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can I split DL AmeEx boost between two SkyMiles accounts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Poster

I tried searching for an answer to this question and apologize if I missed previous posts about it, but I could not find anything.

I have a DL Plat AmEx, and get the 10K MQM boost for my first 25K of spending, and then another boost for my second 25K in spending. I recently received my first 10K MQMs. I wondered if I can switch the accounts so that the second 10K boost (after spending another 25K on the same AmEx card) could go into my wife's SkyMiles account, instead of my own. I can't seem to find any specific mention about whether this is disallowed on the AmEx web page. Has anyone tried this?

Thank you!
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
The Platinum Card doesn't have an option to give the MQM's or RDM's to someone else.

The Reserve Card gives you the option to give the MQM's to another SkyMiles member. That card costs more but gives you additional benefits, $30 K qualified spend - 15000 miles, $60K qualified spend - another 15000 miles. The 15K MQM at each level are transferable.
You also get SkyClub admission and a companion ticket that can be used for domestic F, and some other benefits as well. You can get a free DL AMEX Plat card for your wife which credits the Spend $ to your account.

Last edited by SuperG1955; Apr 6, 2019 at 10:35 am
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Specifically, with the Reserve card you cannot gift the welcome MQMs or generally any special promo MQMs you might get, but you can gift the regular 15,000 MQMs for $30,000 spend (twice per calendar year) ones, in fact each time to different FF accounts but you cannot subdivide the any 15,000 MQM increment among two or more accounts.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Yes- Thanks. I am not asking about gifting the MQM bonus. My question is whether I can change the SkyMiles account number associated with the DL AmEx Plat mid year, so that the second bonus would go to a different account?
Thank you.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK you can only have *your* credit card associated with *your* FF account.

In fact, I don't think you can switch back and forth on an account between the person who is the primary account holder and the person with a secondary card without doing an application for a new credit card, presumably with a hard pull on the credit report.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well, you could TRY it. Go back in, delete the connection with your current Skymiles account (once your bonus is posted), then try to link to your wife's account. I don't know if their software would pick up on the name change or not. But that would seem to be the only way to do it.

Then you'd have to go back in and repeat the process after the second bonus was awarded, and revert to your original account again.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:09 pm

I wouldn't try flipping it back and forth like this. DL, AmEx or both could view it as fraudulent. If you want to gift MQMs, you need to get (and pay more for) the Reserve card.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wouldn't try flipping it back and forth like this. DL, AmEx or both could view it as fraudulent. If you want to gift MQMs, you need to get (and pay more for) the Reserve card.
Or, OP could choose to have their spouse open their own Amex DL Plat associated with spouse's DL SkyMiles account and get the MQM bonus that way.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
Or, OP could choose to have their spouse open their own Amex DL Plat associated with spouse's DL SkyMiles account and get the MQM bonus that way.
True, but OP doesn't seem to want to do this.....or perhaps wife is already getting MQMs from her own DL AmEx card and still needs more of them for status.....or maybe OP wants the associated RDMs to go into his account....or......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.