New 764 D1 Suites won't have doors

Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I'm surprised they didn't do anything to increase the comfort of the D1 seats either. I flew D1 SLC-LHR on a 763 and it paled compared to an A330 on ATL-EZE. At least on TATL out of BOS and JFK, the flights are short enough to make this less of a factor than it is on TPAC or West Coast - Europe.
I actually think the opposite.. I want the most comfortable seats for the short TATL flights because that is where it is most critical to fall asleep quickly as you're already at best getting 5 hours of rest.

It's especially frustrating as a lot of these TATL routes are Delta's highest yielding routes (especially per-flight-hour) given the anti-competitive JVs in place with the US3.
lost_perspicacity likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by M2578Z
From The Points Guy
[pics removed]
Those are not suites! Those are the current coffins with some extra walls around them and new finishing. That's a refurb of what they have... Particularly on the aisle side pic from TPG you can tell.

With the 40>34 J they'll probably take out 1.5 rows and add some Y+ ...
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by mayhem
My guess is the deleted 1.5 rows are 9/10 - if Y+ is going in behind door 2, they'd probably want to add a galley there (plus perhaps move the dedicated J lavs forward of door 2).
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Am I missing something here? These look like the same old 764 seats with new upholstery + a hook for headphones and a little lip for some extra privacy.

Updating.....saw the TPG photos and can def tell the updates/differences.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Apr 4, 2019 at 11:43 am
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
I actually think the opposite.. I want the most comfortable seats for the short TATL flights because that is where it is most critical to fall asleep quickly as you're already at best getting 5 hours of rest.

It's especially frustrating as a lot of these TATL routes are Delta's highest yielding routes (especially per-flight-hour) given the anti-competitive JVs in place with the US3.
For me, it's more about the timing. If it's a daytime flight I'm more apt to want functional space, whereas on a redeye (as they like to do TATL, sleeping comfort becomes more important.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by c5ruzr
For me, it's more about the timing. If it's a daytime flight I'm more apt to want functional space, whereas on a redeye (as they like to do TATL, sleeping comfort becomes more important.)
Agree 100% -- this is why I don't mind (and actually like) Virgin Upper Class on an eastbound redeye, but hate it on a westbound day flight. DL's current 767 seats I find a bit tight in the shoulders when on my back in bed mode, but doable, and totally fine for daytime flights.

So is there actually more pitch to these seats? They really look only like a minor refurb. Disappointing.

On the lavs - 2 for 40 is definitely not enough, 2 for 34 is stretching it a bit, but probably okay.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
These are interior reconfigurations of existing aircraft. DL can't just remove a door, and they probably can't block off a door for safety reasons.

OTOH an airplane without any doors at all would make it difficult for terrorists. I didn't realize that Boeing was that far into autopilot when we don't have reliable self driving cars yet. Three dimensions should be harder than two.
Air traffic is more predictable and controlled than road traffic though!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
I don't mind a change to the title, but I wouldn't say you can call these Suites at all.

For those of us that have flown a "real" suites product, I'd say that of the A350/777 product as well
BamaGirl likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by ethernal
1 row removed, plus two seats gone to make room for a lav - that gets you to 34. That said, not sure beancounter logic would allow adding a lav while reducing the number of seats.
Moving the lavs up and dropping a row (but keeping J between L1 and L2) makes room for the W cabin, which can apparently be more profitable on a square foot basis than J, so presumably that would make the beancounters happy. Also reducing J supply should increase prices, as we've seen on most other configs. I guess they won't be able to add the $500 surcharge without the door, though.

Those are not suites!
The seats marketed as "D1 Suites" are also not suites, they're just J seats with a gimmicky door. For proper suites, check out SQ, EK, etc.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:39 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by audidudi
Misleading thread title...should say "B764 D1 Suites won't have doors".
Have changed title to include Suites
Obscure2k/Mod
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Those are not suites! Those are the current coffins with some extra walls around them and new finishing. That's a refurb of what they have... Particularly on the aisle side pic from TPG you can tell.

Delta appears to agree with you: their own language in the images at the top of this thread refers to them as seats, not suites. In addition, their press release from today goes out of its way to not refer to the new product as “suites” at any point.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:25 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
My window seat on the a350 was far enough from the aisle that the door felt like more of a novelty. No matter how you cut it, it's a big step up from the current 767 seats.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by bennos
The seats marketed as "D1 Suites" are also not suites, they're just J seats with a gimmicky door. For proper suites, check out SQ, EK, etc.
Since when did SQ or EK install Business Class suites?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Have changed title to include Suites
Obscure2k/Mod
Why? Delta is NOT calling them suites. Notice the PR:

"And in November 2019, the airline will introduce on these routes fully refurbished Boeing 767-400s, featuring a modern interior and all four branded seat products – including a more private Delta One experience, Delta Premium Select, Delta Comfort+ and Main Cabin – to give customers greater choice when they travel. Delta's refreshed 764-400 aircraft will also feature the new wireless IFE system developed by Delta Flight Products with seat-back entertainment screens in every cabin and thoughtful touches like full-spectrum LED ambient lighting and memory foam cushions throughout the aircraft for added comfort"

https://news.delta.com/new-paths-acr...-york-jfk-2020

At best the thread should have the word SEATS!
BenA likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by bennos
Moving the lavs up and dropping a row (but keeping J between L1 and L2) makes room for the W cabin, which can apparently be more profitable on a square foot basis than J, so presumably that would make the beancounters happy. Also reducing J supply should increase prices, as we've seen on most other configs. I guess they won't be able to add the $500 surcharge without the door, though.
Must be a super small W cabin then. The bulkhead behind the current D1 cabin is where the boarding doors are. I believe the lavatories are already behind the boarding doors, not in front of them. I guess you're proposing they've been able to cabin-engineer the plane so that they can fit in (presumably) three rows of W (18 seats) in the space of 6 former D1 seats?

I suppose it might be possible if they took out the back part of the forward gally and put two extra D1 seats there and took out 2 rows in the back and that makes room for 3 rows of W? That's pretty amazing if so (6J seats for 18 W seats is a great revenue tradeoff...).

Regardless.. it's just incredibly disappointing that they are keeping the worst product in the fleet after the refurb. Adding some high walls to the seats does not make the seat any better.

It makes me sad to say but I guess I'm looking forward to 2025-2026 when most of these birds are retired.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.