Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta returns to London Gatwick - its first trans-Atlantic destination

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta returns to London Gatwick - its first trans-Atlantic destination

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by kochleffel
I remember flying CVG-LGW in a DL L-1011 in January of, I think, 1989. It was early in January and the outbound (for me) flight had a lot of British passengers returning from Florida who had been rerouted from flights via ATL. Many seemed to be dressed in beach wear and were shivering in cold Ohio. On the return flight a week later, also an L-1011, there were only six passengers in all of Y. These were my only flights ever in a TriStar.
Unless they were flying on general aviation equipment from Lukens Field, they weren't shivering in Ohio, but rather in northern Kentucky.
Tom45 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I used LGW when PMNW did, and I vaguely remember the express train service to Victoria station, which was convenient for that area of London )a couple times I picked a hotel for the night in that area) and for train/coach service from Victoria.
I was in London recently, and wanted to attend an event in Bedfordshire. The train company that served my destination was Thameslink, one of the other train companies that serves LGW (along with the Gatwick Express and Southern). Thameslink offers through trains from Brighton on the Channel to both Bedford and Peterborough via Kings Cross/St. Pancras. They have new trainsets that are some of the fastest commuter trains anywhere; I really enjoyed my Thameslink experience on this past trip. This is why I've always claimed that, for the traveler who wants to travel on a Britrailpass, the best airport in the UK is LGW, not LHR (from LHR, you can only travel by train to Paddington, which has trains that basically only serve the Reading-Oxford area, and the London-Cornwall and London-South Wales corridors. Kings Cross/St. Pancras (which are basically conjoined) is a 15 minute underground or 35 minute bus ride away; Euston, where you go for trains to Birmingham/Manchester/Liverpool/Glasgow, is about eight city blocks west of Kings Cross/St. Pancras.

Kings Cross is the station for Cambridge, York, Leeds, Hull, Newcastle, Edinburgh and Aberdeen. St. Pancras is the terminal for the Eurostar to Paris Nord and Bruxelles Midi, high speed commuter trains into Kent, and mainline service to Leicester, Derby, Nottingham and Sheffield.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:32 am

I was on one of the last LGW-JFK trips back in 2009 (I had flown eastbound via CVG). AT LGW, DL had both a Crown Room and an arrivals facility (the latter was in the Arora hotel attached to the North Terminal). Delta flew one of the ex-TWA ETOPS 757s; there were only about 40 pax on the entire flight; so everyone in the back who wanted one got a row of three. Just about as good as Business Elite.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
I had the mistake of calling LGW a “charter airport” a few months ago on the UK forum and I was immediately inundated by people who were extremely offended and let me have it.
Supposedly the busiest single runway airport in the world.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
The NEO yes. The NEO LR according to Airbus will have a 100nm range increase over the 757.
Over the standard 757 yes, it’s about 100 short of the 757 with winglets and again that aircraft struggles.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jeff767

Over the standard 757 yes, it’s about 100 short of the 757 with winglets and again that aircraft struggles.
A Delta 75S (lie-flat 757-200 with winglets) might struggle westbound in winter winds on TXL-JFK (ask United flyers about Gander and Bangor diversions on TXL-EWR with 757s) but should have ample range for LGW-BOS/JFK on all but the very worst days. I make no prediction as to Delta's choice of aircraft to start nor what might be sustained.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Jeff767
I'm not really aware of any issues with the 757s going westbound from London to JFK/BOS...
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by ND76
Unless they were flying on general aviation equipment from Lukens Field, they weren't shivering in Ohio, but rather in northern Kentucky.
Absolutely true, but I don't think they knew that. Kentucky is south of Ohio so isn't it warmer?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
For many people LGW is a good airport if they are flying to London and not connecting. It's transport links to London are arguably better than those of LHR especially if you want central or east London.
+1 to this. I fly into LGW from the continent (and pay the Ł7 for premium immigration as mentioned by ElmhurstNick) and find it more convenient than LHR (arrivals from the US). Easier transfer to the train station, and a fast ride on various services (vs a long haul on the Piccadilly or a fast train to Paddington). If Crossrail ever opens I might change my opinion back to LHR, but in the mean time I'd actually be pretty happy if DL/VS moved their entire operation to LGW (which of course they won't).
Duke787 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Absolutely true, but I don't think they knew that. Kentucky is south of Ohio so isn't it warmer?
Oh, but Kentucky is in the Appalachian Mountains, so it should be colder. <joke>
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
This was just weird. No doubt an attempt by Delta to pre-empt JetBlue's expected announcement this week that it's flying to London.

Delta seems to be keeping the 757s that feature a domestic first-class cabin branded as premium-economy on flights to Shannon and Reykjavik. It would be relatively easy for them to expand this to Gatwick, especially if it wanted to target conscious leisure travelers.

On the other hand, Virgin Atlantic has lower labor costs than Delta so it makes since for Delta to codeshare Virgin Atlantic flights. Plus, I think the average leisure traveler prefers the experience of flying a British-flagged airline to Britain.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That just assumes you want to connect in London vs. Paris, Amsterdam or Rome - or aren't already on a non-stop to KEF, GLA, EDI, DUB, SNN, MAN, CPH, TXL, DUS, BRU, FRA, PRG, ZRH, VCE, MXP, NCE, MAD, BCN, LIS, AGP, or ATH. You caught the press release references to DL being the #1 TATL carrier all in destinations, U.S. gateways, city pairs and customers carried, right? B6 will not be operating from a position of strength TATL, not from JFK or BOS. They're not going to have the network, the fleet diversity, nor the corporate contracts. They certainly don't have the operational chops: look at on-time and flight cancellation data.
JetBlue has an extensive partnership with Tap Air Portugal. I would not be surprised to see JetBlue announce London service -- perhaps utilizing EasyJet as a connecting partner -- at the same time as announcing or re-announcing its relationship with Tap via Lisbon. At least that's what I would do if I were them. The only issue with EasyJet is how to handle Mint business-class passengers.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ijgordon
VS interlines with BA, though it's not particularly easy to buy a ticket, you have to call VS or use a TA (some OTAs might be able to book). I did JFK-LHR-GVA on VS/BA recently. It's also not the most seamless experience, you have to effectively manage the reservations separately (e.g., for seat assignments) and OLCI doesn't work well.
And for years this was basically the experience Delta customers had with Virgin Atlantic, KLM and Air France.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
This is Gatwick, not Luton. It's the 9th largest airport in Europe by passengers, roughly as busy as MUC or BCN. Most people flying Delta to London aren't connecting anyway. I wouldn't expect the yields to be bad at all.
I can see all the fanny-pack tourists showing up to the wrong London airport.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by steveholt
I don't hate LGW, but EK also flies to Stansted!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Let's not forget Luton; there are at least 5 London airports. (So what if BA does three of them.)
Considering the fact that Delta loves subsidies, despite decrying their competition for receiving them, Delta should have looked at Stansted for these flights if only because the landing fees would be lower and, who knows, they might get subsidized. I still think either Delta will fly 757s with premium-economy as the highest class of service or rely on Virgin Atlantic, which has reduced labor costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.