Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta returns to London Gatwick - its first trans-Atlantic destination

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

40 years ago, Delta launched service from ATL to LGW. Now, presumably to pre-empty JetBlue's announcement next week, Delta is announcing its return to Gatwick from JFK and BOS. Service will launch in 2020, but details will be unveiled "later this year."

https://news.delta.com/new-paths-acr...-york-jfk-2020
NYC Flyer and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
LGW is where all the US airlines except PA and TW flew when trans-Atlantic service opened to other airlines, right?
And I flew BOS-PIK on NW way back when before GLA became the international airport for Glasgow.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mot29
LGW is where all the US airlines except PA and TW flew when trans-Atlantic service opened to other airlines, right?
And I flew BOS-PIK on NW way back when before GLA became the international airport for Glasgow.
LGW was the LON airport for US carriers except PA and TW, then UA and AA, until the EU Open Skies air travel agreement came into effect. Under Bermuda II, the old US-UK air services agreement, only two carriers from each country could serve Heathrow.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
LGW was the LON airport for US carriers except PA and TW, then UA and AA, until the EU Open Skies air travel agreement came into effect. Under Bermuda II, the old US-UK air services agreement, only two carriers from each country could serve Heathrow.
I believe it was DL that inherited both PA European routes and assets. Pacific operation went to UA though.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Wonder if Delta will use the new A321neo as deliveries start in 2020.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:09 pm

The announcement also mentions using the A330 for BOS-LHR which is a recent change. DL also uses the big bus for one of the AMS flights. Interesting change, though a better hard product, I don't think the loads have been great recently on this competitive route. Though maybe the priority is J and not Y revenue.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: Free agent
Looking forward to the competition between DL/B6 over this route. I love both products and this makes for an easy choice.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by discoseal
I believe it was DL that inherited both PA European routes and assets. Pacific operation went to UA though.
DL inherited PA's authorities/operations in continental Europe, but United had previously purchased PA's London authorities.

Details: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...900-story.html
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Looking forward to the competition between DL/B6 over this route. I love both products and this makes for an easy choice.
Yeah the war in Boston is just entering phase 2 and I am certainly not complaining as a satisfied passenger of both Jet Blue and Delta.

Time for Delta to offer comp J upgrades TATL out of Boston! That would knock out B6!
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I would assume they would use LGW North Terminal and use VS check in and Clubhouse.

LGW was been crying out for a full service flight to JFK as the BA offering uses old planes and often gets cancelled so hopefully the competition ups their game as well.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I would assume they would use LGW North Terminal and use VS check in and Clubhouse.

LGW was been crying out for a full service flight to JFK as the BA offering uses old planes and often gets cancelled so hopefully the competition ups their game as well.
Did I miss where it said DL would be operating the flights? Or just that the JV (i.e. either VS or DL, to be determined later) will be operating the routes? Though my bet is both of these flights end up as 26J 767s (if not 757s)
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFTNYC
Did I miss where it said DL would be operating the flights? Or just that the JV (i.e. either VS or DL, to be determined later) will be operating the routes? Though my bet is both of these flights end up as 26J 767s (if not 757s)
It wasn't totally clear, but strongly implied that Delta will be the operating carrier:

Delta is building on its position as the leading global carrier in Boston and New York with the launch of two new international routes – nonstop service from Boston's Logan International Airport and New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport to London's Gatwick Airport will begin next summer in partnership with Virgin Atlantic
Full Gatwick schedule details will be announced later this year. The London-area airport was the destination for Delta’s very first transatlantic flight more than 40 years ago, when service began from Atlanta.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:59 pm

This should be a lesson for B6...don't tip your and so badly on your plans before you're ready to put tickets on sale, especially when you filed several motions to the DOT begging for them to make Delta give up LHR slots and hand them over to B6...for free. Especially when B6's plan doesn't particularly add anything other than one more carrier on a already competitive route. AND will also be offering fewer seats than DL/VS (And BA/AA/UA for that matter) would be offering in the same slot.

https://www.regulations.gov/document...2013-0068-0071
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by hi55us
Time for Delta to offer comp J upgrades TATL out of Boston! That would knock out B6!
I think there's a better chance of B6 operating JFK-SYD on their own metal than DL offering comp J upgrades.

Originally Posted by kop84
This should be a lesson for B6...don't tip your and so badly on your plans before you're ready to put tickets on sale
Eh, I'm pretty sure B6 planned for some reaction from the legacy carriers. TCON Mint has certainly stuck around, notwithstanding the major's ability to redeploy product on those routes. Furthermore, if (as rumored) B6 offers onward connectivity from LON into Europe somehow, they'll be a step ahead of DL/VS, which still doesn't have a good connectivity solution on the European side.
mizzou miles likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bennos
Furthermore, if (as rumored) B6 offers onward connectivity from LON into Europe somehow, they'll be a step ahead of DL/VS, which still doesn't have a good connectivity solution on the European side.
That just assumes you want to connect in London vs. Paris, Amsterdam or Rome - or aren't already on a non-stop to KEF, GLA, EDI, DUB, SNN, MAN, CPH, TXL, DUS, BRU, FRA, PRG, ZRH, VCE, MXP, NCE, MAD, BCN, LIS, AGP, or ATH. You caught the press release references to DL being the #1 TATL carrier all in destinations, U.S. gateways, city pairs and customers carried, right? B6 will not be operating from a position of strength TATL, not from JFK or BOS. They're not going to have the network, the fleet diversity, nor the corporate contracts. They certainly don't have the operational chops: look at on-time and flight cancellation data.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.