Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta returns to London Gatwick - its first trans-Atlantic destination

Delta returns to London Gatwick - its first trans-Atlantic destination

Old Apr 5, 19, 11:12 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo View Post
Looks like Delta with the new B764's D1 suites
LGW will most likely not be getting the refurbished 764s...the press release specifically said that the refurbished 764s will be on all LHR-BOS/JFK flights starting this November:

https://news.delta.com/new-paths-acr...-york-jfk-2020

"...Delta also to deploy fully modernized Boeing 767-400s on all flights between London-Heathrow and Boston and New York-JFK this fall..."
Old Apr 5, 19, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm trying to see why it makes sense for DL to have some flights at a secondary leisure-oriented London airport with few onward partner connections. Surely it's expensive to maintain facilities and staff to operate two flights, and I would expect the yields to be bad.
Old Apr 5, 19, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta DM, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I'm trying to see why it makes sense for DL to have some flights at a secondary leisure-oriented London airport with few onward partner connections. Surely it's expensive to maintain facilities and staff to operate two flights, and I would expect the yields to be bad.
This is Gatwick, not Luton. It's the 9th largest airport in Europe by passengers, roughly as busy as MUC or BCN. Most people flying Delta to London aren't connecting anyway. I wouldn't expect the yields to be bad at all.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Will DL need their own ticket agents and ground staff? Can't they just contract to VS? There's plenty of destination LON traffic - connectivity isn't needed. Slots are cheaper than at LHR. The increment of capacity is bigger (probably widebodies for range and CASM) but it's really no different from DL flying to both ORD/MDW and IAH/HOU.
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Well presumably the majority of the operations will be handled by VS from their existing operation at LGW
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What does VS have at LGW? I associate their operations with LHR, where they have the good clubhouse and IIRC arrivals lounge.

BA tends to assign only leisure routes to LGW with business oriented routes and their premium long haul routes use LHR, although maybe this is a matter of perceived prestige.
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
What does VS have at LGW? I associate their operations with LHR, where they have the good clubhouse and IIRC arrivals lounge.

BA tends to assign only leisure routes to LGW with business oriented routes and their premium long haul routes use LHR, although maybe this is a matter of perceived prestige.
VS runs a few leisure flights out of LGW -- basically LAS + MCO and then all their seasonal/year-round Caribbean and Mexico flights.

Much smaller scale vs. BA but similar concept. I believe all the 744 that VS has left are out of LGW now and they do have a Clubhouse (not on the same level as LHR but it exists)
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Yes the VS LGW operation is more leisure related - MCO and Caribbean routes for example. It also has a CH that has a good reputation. It has no arrivals lounge but then again BA doesn't have one at LGW either.

But BA operates a LGW-JFK route so is that still a premium route or not? Though gien that BA seem to cancel this flight on a refular basis they don't think it is and just use it as a marketing tool (only airline that flies from JFK to 3 London Airports). When BA start treating it as a premium route then I'll start using it!

Yes there is a (misplaced) perception that LGW is some sort of second class airport (often those that protest this the most have never actually flown from LGW or if they have it was years and years ago) but CX, QR and EK all use LGW so they see merit in flying there.

And basically if an airline wants to operate more flights to London then it's going to have to use LGW or reduce / end other routes into LHR.

For many people LGW is a good airport if they are flying to London and not connecting. It's transport links to London are arguably better than those of LHR especially if you want central or east London.
Old Apr 5, 19, 1:53 pm

I used LGW when PMNW did, and I vaguely remember the express train service to Victoria station, which was convenient for that area of London )a couple times I picked a hotel for the night in that area) and for train/coach service from Victoria.

IIRC the coach service to LHR from certain smaller cities stops also at LGW along the way. With luggage, it can be a lot more convenient than taking the train to London and then transferring to either the Heathrow Express or the tube line to LHR, and the same would surely be true for LGW, although from a fewer number of places in England I suspect.
Old Apr 5, 19, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
The NEO LR should be fine. B6 has options for these.
The 757-200 with winglets has a slightly longer range than the A321NEO. The 757 struggles in the winter.
Old Apr 5, 19, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
I had the mistake of calling LGW a “charter airport” a few months ago on the UK forum and I was immediately inundated by people who were extremely offended and let me have it.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
One big advantage of LGW over LHR for Y/PE passengers has been that you can buy fast track arrivals at LGW for 7 GBP, regardless of status. I prefer LHR on VS because of the 330 2-3-2 instead of the 747 2-4-2 on the lower deck, but being out of the airport 15 minutes after landing is a big deal vs. an hour or more slogging through LHR T3 customs.

That will be mitigated somewhat by LHR allowing electronic reading of US passports in the future, but it's still LHR arrivals...
Old Apr 5, 19, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Yes there is a (misplaced) perception that LGW is some sort of second class airport (often those that protest this the most have never actually flown from LGW or if they have it was years and years ago) but CX, QR and EK all use LGW so they see merit in flying there.
I don't hate LGW, but EK also flies to Stansted!
Old Apr 5, 19, 3:08 pm

Let's not forget Luton; there are at least 5 London airports. (So what if BA does three of them.)
Old Apr 5, 19, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, RC/MR/SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Jeff767 View Post
The 757-200 with winglets has a slightly longer range than the A321NEO. The 757 struggles in the winter.
The NEO yes. The NEO LR according to Airbus will have a 100nm range increase over the 757.

Search this Thread