Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Possible Downgrade from equipment change

Possible Downgrade from equipment change

Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, when DL sells lots of very cheap upgrades to anyone, then I'm not so sure that elites shouldn't be prioritized. You can't be come DM by spending $10 or even $100.......
It's definitely a balance. I agree that in principle people that paid for first class should be the first to keep the seat.

That said, there is a lot more nuance to it than that. On a per-segment / cents per mile basis (and often outright), I generally pay more for my Y ticket than the majority of the people sitting in first class.

From a pure margin protection perspective, Delta is far more interested in keeping my business. I pay more for a seat that costs only 57% as much for Delta to serve.

I think a lot of people flying in F would be surprised that if fares were rank-ordered on a segment-cost basis and Delta seated people that way, they wouldn't make the "front of the cabin" cut.

On the flip side, the reason this is true is because I am a hub-captive and book late tickets (which incurs its own inventory spoilage costs). So Delta has less interest to protect my revenue.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Why would he have gotten the seat? There were likely 3 other displaced F passengers now moved back to Y, and I'm assuming they offered the seat to one with a paid fair and status.
Because he would be the first to ask for it, since he was right there.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Because he would be the first to ask for it, since he was right there.
So priority in this situation is based on proximity to the gate agent? I've never been involuntarily downgraded, but I would hope there is some sort of order of priority based on type of fare and elite status, rather than who can reach the podium fastest.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So priority in this situation is based on proximity to the gate agent? I've never been involuntarily downgraded, but I would hope there is some sort of order of priority based on type of fare and elite status, rather than who can reach the podium fastest.
It can be a squeaky wheel situation, with some GAs giving the upgrade to the person who's obviously aware that a FC seat is available or the person facing them.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apodo77

Not getting the empty seat is messed up. Would be curious what the standby/upgrade gids showed on the app.

Enjoy the Bahamas and you should get at least a $200 voucher and fare difference.
The gids showed nobody upgraded to First and 2 persons upgraded to Comfort+.

Originally Posted by MarkCron
He would have gotten the seat if he spoke up when he overheard the agent say they had a seat available. I assume he preferred the compensation, so stayed silent.
The reason why I didn't speak up is twofold. I arrived at the gate dead last, due to being at the T4 Skyclub and not even realizing the gate had changed to a T2 one. I assumed by then procedures would have already been put in place for one of the other displaced passengers whether by status or by them simply being at the gate on time. The second reason was the seat was a aisle. While it's generally preferred by most people here, I tend to prefer windows especially when I'm tired, as I lean on the partition to nap.

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Have you had any luck with Tagg? Just curious
I've had some good friendships from it. Don't use it too often though.

Why would he have gotten the seat? There were likely 3 other displaced F passengers now moved back to Y, and I'm assuming they offered the seat to one with a paid fair and status.
My main reasoning exactly. It worked that way on United last year when they canceled a 777 flight and substituted a 757 in it's place. While only being a Premier Silver, I was still in paid F and managed to snag one of two F seats remaining over the other elites. I expect Delta to work the same way.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Did you ask how they picked you and if they had asked for volunteers?

As for the lady with children, you can checkin online, get BP, and need to have docs verified. Also if they were connecting from OAL docs would need to be verified.
I did not ask. Like others here I just assume it's a hierarchy based on Status, Fare class, date purchased. My main gripe, is there was no notification at all. Either for the downgrade or the gate change. The gate change one came after I had already arrived at the new gate lol. Delta could really learn from UA here, where my phone blows up with every minor change.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:32 am

Thanks for updates OP. Enjoy Bahamas!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Just a update on this; I checked my email today to found out Delta had gotten back to me.

The agent exact words were "As a gesture of goodwill, I will refund you the fare difference". How does she consider that goodwill, when I didn't get what I had dished out extra money for

Her reply bothered me more than the lousy 3000 miles she threw in. I didn't contact Delta expecting anything guaranteed, except the refund in fare difference, which I feel is justified when downgraded. It's almost like she was saying well I don't want to refund you anything, since you still flew and got there.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Just a update on this; I checked my email today to found out Delta had gotten back to me.

The agent exact words were "As a gesture of goodwill, I will refund you the fare difference". How does she consider that goodwill, when I didn't get what I had dished out extra money for

Her reply bothered me more than the lousy 3000 miles she threw in. I didn't contact Delta expecting anything guaranteed, except the refund in fare difference, which I feel is justified when downgraded. It's almost like she was saying well I don't want to refund you anything, since you still flew and got there.
I would call and politely ask for the $200 voucher. You should get it with no issues.
Good luck.
ijgordon and Widgets like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Have you had any luck with Tagg? Just curious
pardon my ignorance / what is Tagg
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Mister Nice

An app to find friendship. I noticed the icon in his screen shot.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apodo77

I would call and politely ask for the $200 voucher. You should get it with no issues.
Good luck.
I called Customer Care and while the agent was very nice; because her colleague had touched the case, she didn't seem to want to interfere. Thus she wrote a note for the agent handling my case to call me. So far that has not happened as yet.

Originally Posted by Mister Nice
It's a average social app. Probably 2 steps below Facebook, Insta and Snapchat.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
So OP got the fare difference + 3000SM (= $30.00 if used for PWM)? That is just plain insulting. Sorta like giving a valet at the hotel $.25 for a tip, except in this case the insult is to the customer. I am pretty agreeable in most instances, but I would be livid over a "resolution" like that.

If any staff at DL is monitoring FT, DL needs to step up and make this one right.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel

Honestly, this would prompt a DOT complaint from me. If Delta doesn't think they need to comply with their contractual provisions around downgrades, the DOT should know about it.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:30 am
Original Poster

The agent on my case never bothered contacting me, so I got it sorted in 3 minutes via twitter this morning. Every airline has their bad apples, so I can't fault Delta. I do wonder how many other downgraded persons she's gotten away with making them think, their DOT mandated refund is Delta offering them a goodwill gesture.

Her feedback rating was not positive, on the survey I filled out.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Her feedback rating was not positive, on the survey I filled out.
By and large, DL has pretty good agents. It is my perception that they have improved overall substantially since DL started doing the one question survey. So when I get an agent that provides 5* service, I rate accordingly. And on those rare occasions that I get a dud, I rate accordingly.

PS - 5* service doesn't mean that I necessarily got what I wanted, but rather that the agent did all in his/her power to address my problem/concern.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.