Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Booking a connection as two, one-way legs

Old Apr 3, 19, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Delta PM

Hey all, have a very strange situation right now:

Trying to book a flight from GRR->ATL->ALB.
There are a couple routings through DTW, but they are mostly regional jets (boo) and at very inconvenient times.

For some reason, Delta (dot) com does not give ANY routings through ATL, even though there are perfectly reasonable layovers (around 2 hrs 45 minutes).

I called the Platinum line and HUCA to two separate representatives. Neither one of them could generate the routing I wanted and had to "force" it as a "multi-city inventory" which substantially raised the price. However, if I book each leg SEPARATELY (GRR->ATL; ATL->ALB), I get a much lower price.

Example:
1.) Tried searching GRR->ALB via ATL (NOTHING)
2.) Tried multi-city inventory via ATL (ERROR)
3.) Called Platinum line, found a RIDICULOUS (B fare) option for almost $1700 IN COACH. Declined.
4.) See that each leg separately is in T fare. If I booked each leg individually, it would only be $400 total.

My questions are:
1.) Is this a glitch on Delta's website? The agents were just as baffled, as the routing is legal and the layovers are legal. If so, what are my options?
2.) If I book each leg separately, but MISCONNECT the GRR-ATL to weather, am I just .... out of luck for the ATL-ALB leg (since they are technically separate reservations)?

Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 19, 1:55 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott
Just book it separately. DL will take care of you if there's a misconnect. They'll even thru-check your luggage if you show them both tickets. You are not violating any rules doing this.

Probably not a bug. Likely that DL simply wants to keep the ATL flights for people who really need them (ie, connecting to cities in the south US or internationally)
Pianoman109876 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 19, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Along Great Circle routes it's 609 miles GRR-DTW-ALB. It's 1,493 miles GRR-ATL-ALB. Unless you can point to a published thru-fare GRR-ALB that allows routings thru Atlanta I don't this is a defect of delta.com. Moving planes and people about isn't like moving a few electrons on the internet.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 3, 19, 4:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Kayak is showing a connection or two through MSP.
Potentially a hair less circuitous then ATL.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 3, 19, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Along Great Circle routes it's 609 miles GRR-DTW-ALB. It's 1,493 miles GRR-ATL-ALB. Unless you can point to a published thru-fare GRR-ALB that allows routings thru Atlanta I don't this is a defect of delta.com. Moving planes and people about isn't like moving a few electrons on the internet.
Thats the thing though... I have flown this route literally hundreds of times. I donít know why it is suddenly not bookablr. I do not want to fly regionals and the Detroit timings suck. It literally was bookablr as of two weeks ago.
Old Apr 3, 19, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joeyE View Post
Kayak is showing a connection or two through MSP.
Potentially a hair less circuitous then ATL.
there is only one MSP flight that goes to ALB and it gets in way too late, plus itís on a regional that is notoriously canceled or delayed frequently
Old Apr 3, 19, 6:53 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
It is not, in fact, a legal routing for any current fare filings. It may have been in the past, but it is not true now. See routing rules below from EF. Given that it's not a legal routing, the only way to book it on a single ticket is with a broken fare. But DL won't let you book broken fares through hubs where they do not have a fare filing unless you have a connection longer than 4 hours to create a true fare break.

MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. GRR-MSP/DTT-ALB
MSPeconomist and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 3, 19, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
It is not, in fact, a legal routing for any current fare filings. It may have been in the past, but it is not true now. See routing rules below from EF. Given that it's not a legal routing, the only way to book it on a single ticket is with a broken fare. But DL won't let you book broken fares through hubs where they do not have a fare filing unless you have a connection longer than 4 hours to create a true fare break.

1. GRR-MSP/DTT-ALB
well that absolutely sucks; any idea as to why? I have had terrible experiences with the regionals out of Albany due to timing and frequent delays. May honestly consider leaving Delta for this. Sigh...
Old Apr 3, 19, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pianoman109876 View Post

well that absolutely sucks; any idea as to why? I have had terrible experiences with the regionals out of Albany due to timing and frequent delays. May honestly consider leaving Delta for this. Sigh...
Because it's double the direct distance?
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 3, 19, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Because it's double the direct distance?
I can get BDL -> ATL -> GRR, BOS -> ATL -> GRR AND BTV -> ATL -> GRR all just fine. Larger, smaller, and same size airports at approximately the same distances. and again, this was bookable as of 2 weeks ago
Old Apr 3, 19, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If DL is not publishing a fare for GRR-ALB via ATL that is a conscious decision if it did so in the past. Likely a poor financial decision for DL, so it dropped the fare.

Do bear in mind that you do not have a connection if you are on separate tickets and that if you need to make a change or cancel, you will need to pay a change fee for each ticket (typically $200 for a standard domestic penalty fare). Thus, if your plans change by a day, it will cost $400 to make the change.

For what it is worth, I am seeing a mix of, -900's, -700's, and a -175 on the route. Those are all 2-cabin aircraft with operational parameters at least the same or exceeding DL's typical mainline narrow bodies. The three aircraft also have a more comfortable Y cabin (to the extent any Y cabin is comfortable) with 2-2 seating. Thus, I am struggling a bit as to why anyone would fly 1,000 miles out of the way to do this.
Old Apr 3, 19, 7:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post

1. GRR-MSP/DTT-ALB
I was going to suggest trying to book it using advanced search by fare class and increasing the fare class one step as a time as IMO this sometimes is a way to avoid broken fares and get cheaper ticket prices, but if the ATL connection isn't a legal routing, the only choice would be to do it as multicity with more than four hours in ATL, which seems to increase the price (perhaps because the cheaper fares don't permit stopovers.

I really miss the functionality of being able to use multicity to construct particular routings without making stopovers along the way.
Pianoman109876 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 19, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
If DL is not publishing a fare for GRR-ALB via ATL that is a conscious decision if it did so in the past. Likely a poor financial decision for DL, so it dropped the fare.

Do bear in mind that you do not have a connection if you are on separate tickets and that if you need to make a change or cancel, you will need to pay a change fee for each ticket (typically $200 for a standard domestic penalty fare). Thus, if your plans change by a day, it will cost $400 to make the change.

For what it is worth, I am seeing a mix of, -900's, -700's, and a -175 on the route. Those are all 2-cabin aircraft with operational parameters at least the same or exceeding DL's typical mainline narrow bodies. The three aircraft also have a more comfortable Y cabin (to the extent any Y cabin is comfortable) with 2-2 seating. Thus, I am struggling a bit as to why anyone would fly 1,000 miles out of the way to do this.
its a major MQM boost since I fly paid F. GRR/DTW is very often delayed.
Old Apr 3, 19, 8:15 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876 View Post

You will have a hard time finding lots of options on any airline GRR-XXX-ALB that do not use regional aircraft for one or both legs. I don't blame you for wanting to avoid regionals, as they are typically the first to be cancelled or delayed due to weather, but this is just the reality of flying into and out of small airports.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 3, 19, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by third_wave View Post
You will have a hard time finding lots of options on any airline GRR-XXX-ALB that do not use regional aircraft for one or both legs. I don't blame you for wanting to avoid regionals, as they are typically the first to be cancelled or delayed due to weather, but this is just the reality of flying into and out of small airports.
yes,
i know, which is why I am angry that they removed the ATL connection. The regionals out of ALB in particular are .....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: