What time to arrive at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:43 pm
formerly known as lady1964
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
What time to arrive at JFK

Hi,

Myself & Hubby flying JFK-MBJ at 9.30am on Wednesday 24th April in F. We’re staying close to Times Square & will arrange a car to pick us up but we’re unsure what time we should book the car for.
if it makes any difference we’re from the U.K.
Would be grateful for advice, many thanks.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by LadyB
Hi,

Myself & Hubby flying JFK-MBJ at 9.30am on Wednesday 24th April in F. We’re staying close to Times Square & will arrange a car to pick us up but we’re unsure what time we should book the car for.
My recommendation is to have the car company suggest a time. They are aware of weather and airport conditions and can best give you the best advice.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: delta diamond, Hilton Diamond
Just did this last week. I was staying by times square and had an 8:30 flight from JFK. I left at 5:30 planning 45 minutes to an hour to get to JFK then check my bag and get through security. I am Diamond on Delta so used that line to check my bag then pre-check so I got there plenty early. You are leaving an hour later so traffic might be worse so leaving three hours before your plane leaves probably will be safe. I don't like to run to my gate. NYC people might have a better idea on exact times.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Assuming you have to check at least 1 bag, the cutoff is 1 hour before, so 8:30am. There will be traffic at that time, but not nearly as bad as inbound traffic to Manhattan. If it were me I'd leave at 6:30am and plan to eat breakfast after getting through security.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by LadyB
Hi,

Aim to be there at 8. Which means you don’t have to leave Midtown any earlier than 7.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I just wouldn't even consider a car because of the highly variable times. I would take the subway and the airtrain.
Duke787 and Aliquot like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
+1 on don't take car. Either subway + airtrain or subway to Penn Station and take LIRR to AirTran.

Gives you a predictable 1.25 hour travel time vs variability of car
Dalewood and Gerbs like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
I would suggest walking to Penn Station (15 minutes max) then taking the Long Island railroad to Jamaica Station. It's ~ a 20 minute train ride from Penn to Jamaica. From there you can take the air train to JFK for $5. Its economical and takes traffic out of the equation.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by langbr01
I would suggest walking to Penn Station (15 minutes max) then taking the Long Island railroad to Jamaica Station. It's ~ a 20 minute train ride from Penn to Jamaica. From there you can take the air train to JFK for $5. Its economical and takes traffic out of the equation.
there is not usually traffic leaving manhattan at 7am. There just isn’t. Of course, the traffic picture is dynamic but there are a lot of routes that will get you to JFK in under an hour.

OP doesn’t sound like he wants to take mass transit. He/she will be heading off to a Caribbean vacation with luggage. You want him to walk to Penn Station and fight the commuter mess to get on LIRR? A cab/Uber will take much less time and hassle at that hour.

I may be “orlandodlplat” but I’m a real NYer, from NY, who currently lives in NY, and knows that which he speaks. OP, take a car if you want. Have a nice trip.
lost_perspicacity likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:48 pm

There is no reason at all not to take a car. There are those who like the train but unless traffic is bad I see no reason. I might suggest using uber black over ordering a car which gives you a little more flexibility. I would quick check google maps or tune into the traffic report to make sure there isn’t an accident But under normal conditions it will take you 45 minutes to reach Jfk. If you don’t have tsa pre the security line can be long but no more than twenty minutes. Some gates can be a bit of a hike so say twenty mi utes to be safe. As a New Yorker I would leave at seven.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:35 pm

Take a cab or car service at 7 am sharp. It might take an hour, it might take 30 minutes. Hope for the best, plan for the worst, and use Google Maps to double check for traffic that morning.

If you're into public transportation, the LIRR or the E train are typically reliable options (and sometimes an absolute mess). The LIRR is my preferred option, but I'm usually travelling pretty light and Penn Station is easy for me to get to.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by orlandodlplat

there is not usually traffic leaving manhattan at 7am. There just isn’t. Of course, the traffic picture is dynamic but there are a lot of routes that will get you to JFK in under an hour.
you're right, but the issue isn't traffic getting out of manhattan. it's traffic that is coming into the city and generally being an obstruction. if the question was about lunch time or 7pm I would agree, but this is the start of rush hour and just such a huge variable
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:27 am

I would say err on the side of caution- the earlier you leave for JFK the less traffic you will hit. There will be traffic (especially in midtown) that starts accumulating quickly as it gets closer to 7/7:30. I always leave extra time to get to the airport and relax in the SkyClub before the plane takes off.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Having done this trip several times I would go with a car anytime between 6.30 and 7.00 am (with 7am being the absolute latest) based on the OPs flight times.

Also having done Manhattan to JFK using the subway etc I would simply say - don't - if you have luggage of any magnitude. I would use the subway etc in many cities to their airports but NYC isn't one of them!
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by gitismatt
you're right, but the issue isn't traffic getting out of manhattan. it's traffic that is coming into the city and generally being an obstruction. if the question was about lunch time or 7pm I would agree, but this is the start of rush hour and just such a huge variable
Crosstown is not bad at 7am in Midtown. From TSQ you go . Midtown Tunnel, to the LIE, to the Van Wyck. Let's not scare the OP. She'll be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.