Zipties on luggage?

Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Since I don't rely on security having the "TSA Key" I put three different coloured zip ties on my checked bag on the basis that while they all have the black or white ties, they probably don't have red, yellow, green and blue ones handy so I can look for tampering. Plus they secure the bag well.
Hard to find but I like purple zip ties. No airport is going to stock those. Standard nail clippers will easily cut the small ones, and those are allowed in your carry on.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
I have ALWAYS gotten zip ties when departing MEX for the USA, but, nowhere else consistently that I can think of.

Same here, aeromexico, interjet, aeromar and United all from MEX to USA - zip ties everytime
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
I think this is to prevent smuggling of drugs and other items, especially from Central America/Caribbean. I heard from a DL employee that these are rampant problems.
This is why I have zip ties with individual serial numbers on them. Take a photo at airport bag drop. Its obvious if they open the pocket and put on a new one.
CPMaverick and HofstraJet like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I had zip-ties placed on my luggage the last time I transited NRT with DL.

For those of you putting your own zip ties on, if all you care about is tamper-proofing, you might be better off with security seals. The bonus is that you don't need cutters to remove them, and they have serial numbers so essentially impossible to replace.

https://www.seton.com/light-duty-pul...ls-am0099.html
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I've lost locks and had notes from TSA, but I have never had zip ties put on my checked luggage when flying to/from the US, Central America, South America, Europe or Africa.

Something to anticipate?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
My Delta friend said it is to protect your luggage from bag handlers where most "missing items" occur
HMPS likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Gadot
My Delta friend said it is to protect your luggage from bag handlers where most "missing items" occur
I never asked, but always assumed that was the reason
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
For those of you putting your own zip ties on, if all you care about is tamper-proofing, you might be better off with security seals. The bonus is that you don't need cutters to remove them, and they have serial numbers so essentially impossible to replace.
Yeah, but zipties are cheap and we have them in the house because we use them for other things ;-) We only use them to discourage casual pilfering, really.
HMPS likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
This is why I have zip ties with individual serial numbers on them. Take a photo at airport bag drop. Its obvious if they open the pocket and put on a new one.
Where can you purchase zip ties with individual serial numbers on them?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Where can you purchase zip ties with individual serial numbers on them?

https://www.strombergschickens.com/p...-Poultry-Bands
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
We zip tie our luggage and keep kiddie scissors in the front pouch to cut them off when we arrive. Extra zip ties for return are in carry on so they can't cut and replace. Always try for a weird color.

I like the idea of the serial numbered ties. Here's 100 for $20.

Amazon Amazon
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve “lost” two Tumi luggage locks (TSA “approved”) in the past few months (one on domestic one on international). Might have to look into this...
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:27 pm

I do purple zip ties because it's an odd color (although after reading FT apparently not as uncommon as I thought!). I keep the spares and a nail clipper in my carry on to replace for the trip home. Having purple zip ties came in handy on my last trip because I could tell right away that my bag was opened as it had a replacement black zip tie on it. I opened it immediately (with the nail clippers from my carry on) and found the love letter from tsa. Although it occurred to me- far fetched as the premise is- a thief or smuggler could always open it afterwards and steal/smuggle but at least having the different color zip ties gives me a heads up.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I've been zip tying for years. . . I expect to have my gear opened. I use my brightly colored zip ties to remind the macaroons (tsa in the U.S. of A.) that cut them off to seal the cases again!
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Gadot
That is my main intent,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.