Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zipties on luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Zipties on luggage?

Does delta put zipties on luggage when traveling internationally? Flew from newark to bangkok and found my checked bag had ziptie on the zipper.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
They have been doing that if you have a firearm. Haven't seen it on any international flights.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:58 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
yes they did this for our checked bags last week from Cancun to Atlanta.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Same here zip ties on all bags from St Lucia last week. Assuming its a security thing, like they checked at your departing airport and with a zip tie likley the bag was not tampered with after the check.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:07 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I have ALWAYS gotten zip ties when departing MEX for the USA, but, nowhere else consistently that I can think of.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by skiier
Does delta put zipties on luggage when traveling internationally? Flew from newark to bangkok and found my checked bag had ziptie on the zipper.
Did you also have a TSA love note inside that says they did a random check? I have had the Love note and zip tie in the past.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I always put zip ties on my luggage for all flights so I know if it's opened.
CO-PLAT, Zeeb and rickg523 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: Delta, United
Never had zip ties but did have a security sticker put on one of three zippers. I thought that funny especially since it was on the side rather than main zipper.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: Delta Plat
They always zip tie luggage out of SDQ and it doesn't always mean they checked it, I have seen them zip tie it in front of me. It means they don't trust their staff.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by rubesl
A friend does that as well. She carries cutters in the unzipped pocket of her bag so she can cut the zip tie at her destination.
HofstraJet likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by rubesl
Since I don't rely on security having the "TSA Key" I put three different coloured zip ties on my checked bag on the basis that while they all have the black or white ties, they probably don't have red, yellow, green and blue ones handy so I can look for tampering. Plus they secure the bag well.
Dublin_rfk and HeatherDsyd like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
I have been using zip ties in place of locks for ages. Figure most all locks can be opened and closed. Zip ties have to be cut. At destination you know the beag was tampered with as soon as you pick it up !
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Yep, we've been using zipties forever as well. Right now we have a stock of purple at home....
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Since I don't rely on security having the "TSA Key" I put three different coloured zip ties on my checked bag on the basis that while they all have the black or white ties, they probably don't have red, yellow, green and blue ones handy so I can look for tampering. Plus they secure the bag well.
Your post made me wonder if they had multi-color zip ties; that is, multiple colors in a single tie. Like tie-dye or stripes. I managed to find these:
https://www.panduit.com/en/products/...plt1ml610.html

I think I might have to get a pack - I doubt anybody would have them on hand to replace a cut tie with
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
I think this is to prevent smuggling of drugs and other items, especially from Central America/Caribbean. I heard from a DL employee that these are rampant problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.