Wiki Posts
Search

Deplane in spite of checked luggage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Plat, Lifetime Skyclub
Deplane in spite of checked luggage

My wife and I had the unfortunate experience of realizing that she was missing her cell phone after we had already boarded our flight to return from a vacation trip. A quick check of the Find My iPhone app showed us exactly where it was - in our rental car in the Hertz car lot. We had just finished a vacation and only my wife's phone had all of her vacation photos (not backed up to the cloud, Dropbox or another server). We had a quick discussion of whether or not we could trust Hertz's lost and found (ha!) and I then asked the FA about the possibility of deplaning so I could go and attempt to retrieve the phone. She asked if I had checked luggage (yes, we both did, but there was definitely a checked bag under my name) and then said deplaning wasn't possible (it would mean delaying the flight to retrieve my luggage) but I could ask the gate agent if I wanted to.

When I asked the gate agent, he said no problem, he didn't care if I had a checked bag, and he made a reservation for me on the next flight out. My wife stayed on the plane and finished the original flight. I retraced our steps back to Hertz and since I could tell them exactly where our phone was in their parking lot, they were able to retrieve it. The car had already been "cleaned" and was ready for rental, so who knows if we would have ever gotten the phone back otherwise. I had gotten the gate agents name, so when I got back home I went to the Delta website "Comment/Complaint" to give him kudos.

So my question is this: is it just urban myth that you can't deplane if you have checked bags (since I obviously was able to) or was the difference that my wife continued on the scheduled flight with my bags? I suspect he gate agent's answered would have been different for an international flight.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was this domestic or international?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by travelhive
So my question is this: is it just urban myth that you can't deplane if you have checked bags (since I obviously was able to) or was the difference that my wife continued on the scheduled flight with my bags? I suspect he gate agent's answered would have been different for an international flight.
Not an urban myth, just dated. Airlines did enforce "positive bag match" (baggage only travels if pax is boarded) in the months just after 9/11 but with advances such as security screening for all checked luggage, baggage is just ordinary cargo again for many flights. Some flights still enforce positive bag match but obviously your routing didn't.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Plat, Lifetime Skyclub
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was this domestic or international?
Domestic flight, DEN-MSP
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
Unfortunate this was at DEN, with the hertz lot several miles from the gates.

Recently flying out of Colorado, my entire family got off the plane (doors stayed open for a long time) when it became clear we wouldn’t make connection. Although we would have taken bags off if we could have, it was made very clear that we could get off but bags were staying. Ironically, after a couple of hours of waiting for weather to improve, the flight was rescheduled to the next morning and all the bags off-loaded. But we were long gone.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by travelhive
Domestic flight, DEN-MSP
No positive bag match domestically as all bags are 100% screened nowadays. International still happens do to international regulations. If you SDC after checking bags at a kiosk or online, it'll ask "are you sure you wish to voluntarily separate from bags? If you do we will not be responsible for delivering (from airport to home/hotel) bags."
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:36 am

Thanks to all for the question and answers: I've also been wondering about "positive bag match"

Off topic #1 : It's not too hard these days to back up photos daily from a camera or phone so that you don't lose too many if the device gets lost.

Off topic #2 : "Find My Phone" got me my phone back after I left it on a bus from Santiago to Valparaiso. The driver had picked it up and left it at the ticket counter. The desk clerk at my hotel and I communicated with him by placing a notification on the phone with the hotel's phone number as contact info. (I also pessimistically thought it had been stolen.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.