Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL only, TSA pre check working about 1/2 The time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

Known Traveller number in the record. I’m paid up. Pretty much always works on the carriers. Why not on DL?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
How are you booking DL tickets vs. other carrier tickets? Is the first segment typically DL-operated and DL-coded?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
How are you booking DL tickets vs. other carrier tickets? Is the first segment typically DL-operated and DL-coded?
Sorry not to include. All DL flight, all booked via dl.com
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:35 am

Just because your KTN is present does not guarantee PreCheck - that’s what they told me when I signed up. The government can choose to subject you to regular checks as part of “random” theatre.

That being said, I have never not had PreCheck since I’ve had GE (seven plus years). I have booked directly through DL and now usually through Amex Travel using my SM number to link it to me at DL.com.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by slykens
Just because your KTN is present does not guarantee PreCheck - that’s what they told me when I signed up. The government can choose to subject you to regular checks as part of “random” theatre.

That being said, I have never not had PreCheck since I’ve had GE (seven plus years). I have booked directly through DL and now usually through Amex Travel using my SM number to link it to me at DL.com.
Same here. 6+ years with GE and have always gotten pre check.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by apodo77

Same here. 6+ years with GE and have always gotten pre check.
5 years of GE and 2+ now of NEXUS with 1 miss, SSSS YUL-LGA about 5 years ago.

Also, DL doesn't like UA 2MM's
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been getting it consistently over the years and more recently so have my travel companions on same PNR with no KTN (companions used to be hit-and-miss).
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I've had GE for 6 years and I've never missed on any US-originating flight.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by zrs70
Known Traveller number in the record. I’m paid up. Pretty much always works on the carriers. Why not on DL?
Are you sure the rest of the Secure Flight data is correct? Is there any extra blank spaces at end that aren't obvious? If all that is correct, try removing the info and putting back in. Also to make sure, are you putting your SM in the reservation at time of booking and booking directly with Delta? It won't be added to reservation if you add after initial booking or book through third party. In that case must manually add it.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: LH, DL
I have GE. I got PreCheck consistently until about 8 months ago when on DL only it went to about 50%. I tried reentering KTN, rechecking in, nothing worked. Then in 2019, Precheck went back to 100%.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
100% for 4(?) years with a KTN.

If OP is really 50%, I have to assume somebody hates him :-)
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Must be beating the statistical odds. I've never not gotten pre-check on DL (or any other carrier for that participates in pre-check for that matter).
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Sorry not to include. All DL flight, all booked via dl.com
At DL, there are two places you can record your Secure Flight Passenger Data (which includes the KTN). One place is in your SkyMiles profile, and the other place is in each flight reservation.

When you book a ticket using DL.com, the Secure Flight Passenger Data fields from your SkyMiles profile are copied to those fields in your reservation.

However, ONLY the Secure Flight Passenger Data information in each RESERVATION is actually used for the TSA Precheck eligibility determination for that flight.

EVERY poster on FT who complains about "not getting TSA Precheck with valid KTN" discovers they actually have a problem with the other "Secure Flight Passenger Data" fields NOT exactly matching their KTN. These fields include First name, Middle name, Last name, Date of birth, and sex.

Look at your KTN card. Look at your trusted traveler program (TTP) profile online. How is your name spelled (exactly) in that system? First name? Middle name? Last name? Is the birthdate correct? Then, carefully look at your online DL.com profile. Do each of the fields exactly match your KTN card and online TTP profile?

Finally, try this: On your next flight, check in 24 hours in advance and see if you get TSA Precheck. If not, call DL or visit a ticket counter and ask them to verify your "Secure Flight Passenger Data" with you. Be prepared to provide the exact values from your KTN card/TTP profile. Then try reprinting your boarding pass - TSA Precheck eligibility is recalculated each time a BP is printed. You will almost certainly find out that something was mistyped or misspelled, and the reprinted boarding pass will have TSA Precheck.
digitalpuppy and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Only missed it once since getting it in 2012 and that was on a last second UA ticket where it dropped out (even used to get it back in the day at small airports that had no idea what precheck was at the time and had TSA agents who had no clue what the 3 beeps signified). That covers every major US airline except Hawaiian and every foreign carriers who participates.

I book through either DL.com directly or through Concur/AMEXGBT.

That said a couple of times it has been dropped from my wife's record when I book a ticket for both of us so I've gotten in the habit of entering her # everytime.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnbp
At DL, there are two places you can record your Secure Flight Passenger Data (which includes the KTN). One place is in your SkyMiles profile, and the other place is in each flight reservation.

When you book a ticket using DL.com, the Secure Flight Passenger Data fields from your SkyMiles profile are copied to those fields in your reservation.

However, ONLY the Secure Flight Passenger Data information in each RESERVATION is actually used for the TSA Precheck eligibility determination for that flight.

EVERY poster on FT who complains about "not getting TSA Precheck with valid KTN" discovers they actually have a problem with the other "Secure Flight Passenger Data" fields NOT exactly matching their KTN. These fields include First name, Middle name, Last name, Date of birth, and sex.

Look at your KTN card. Look at your trusted traveler program (TTP) profile online. How is your name spelled (exactly) in that system? First name? Middle name? Last name? Is the birthdate correct? Then, carefully look at your online DL.com profile. Do each of the fields exactly match your KTN card and online TTP profile?

Finally, try this: On your next flight, check in 24 hours in advance and see if you get TSA Precheck. If not, call DL or visit a ticket counter and ask them to verify your "Secure Flight Passenger Data" with you. Be prepared to provide the exact values from your KTN card/TTP profile. Then try reprinting your boarding pass - TSA Precheck eligibility is recalculated each time a BP is printed. You will almost certainly find out that something was mistyped or misspelled, and the reprinted boarding pass will have TSA Precheck.

BRAVO! Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.