Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change or just book new flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Change or just book new flight?

I have an upcoming round trip flight, the outbound leg is Tuesday, and the return Wednesday. The total was about $200.

I now need to change the return flight to go to a different city. Since the change fee would be more than the return segment cost, can I just book a new one way flight on Wednesday and no-show for the return or will there be an issue with being booked on two flights at the same time? Does the answer change if I book the new flight on a different airline?

I don't really care about paying the change fee (work will reimburse me), I just don't feel like dealing with the hassle of doing this on the phone. And even if I'm not paying for it, I don't like the idea of spending an extra $200 for no reason.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No issue flying outbound and no-show for return. The only obstacle will be if you must book on the same connecting flight out. Then it'll see you on the same flight twice.

I would call DL and see if they'll waive the fee for rebooking. They might be willing, especially if new ticket costs more in this case.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
It wouldn't be the same flight connecting. My current itinerary is:

4/2 - LGA-AAA (direct)
4/3 - AAA-LGA (direct)
Need to change the 4/3 to AAA-BBB (direct)

So if I just book AAA-BBB I'd be booked on two flights that leave AAA on the same day (within the same hour).

Will then book a separate flight home to LGA from BBB. I can also book the AAA-BBB on United if that makes this easier, which I may do anyway as the United flight is at a better time.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
It wouldn't be the same flight connecting. My current itinerary is:

4/2 - LGA-AAA (direct)
4/3 - AAA-LGA (direct)
Need to change the 4/3 to AAA-BBB (direct)

So if I just book AAA-BBB I'd be booked on two flights that leave AAA on the same day (within the same hour).

Will then book a separate flight home to LGA from BBB. I can also book the AAA-BBB on United if that makes this easier, which I may do anyway as the United flight is at a better time.
If you're not using the first ticket you might as well as cancel it so you don't appear to be double-booked which could flag you for potential fraud.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Why not just cancel? You don't pay the fee until/unless you actually change the ticket -- which you could always do at a future date for $200 to recoup the lost value and apply to a new work trip
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:21 pm

Or if you upgrade on the new flight you don’t pay the change fee. This could possibly be cheaper??
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP would still pay the change fee from Flight #1 to Flight #2 . He would not pay a fee to upgrade if he subsequently did that.

Easiest here is to simply cancel the return of the first ticket. SInce it's likely worth substantially <$200, it won't be worth using it at a future time. You can then book your new ticket without being caught in the "impossible" ticketing algorithm.

Don't know if this is a possibility because you haven't told us where "AAA" is, but you could also book your new ticket on another carrier. This would leave your return on #1 alone and, if that flight is cancelled or substantially delayed, generate a refund.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:14 pm

I've always wondered why people won't share their itinerary sometimes on threads such as this. Why use AAA, BBB? Just tell us where you're going, we might have other suggestions if we knew. What's the value of obfuscating it?
JPG3392 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
If you won't be using a segment, cancelling rather than being a no-show would be more considerate if that flight is full and has a standby list.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's unlikely to make a difference, but I would look at the fare rules for the original ticket and the fare rules for the new OW segment. It's possible that the value of the return part of the original ticket is less than the change fee of $200, but due to the difference between one way and open jaw fares, it's cheaper to change the return portion of the ticket rather than abandon it and purchase a new one way ticket. This is unlikely because pricing for most domestic routes is such that a RT is just two OWs, but there's a chance (depending on what AAA and BBB are) that it might be cheaper to end up with an open jaw ticket.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:23 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Or if you upgrade on the new flight you don’t pay the change fee. This could possibly be cheaper??
They might make such an exception, but I believe that as written the change fee waiver for buying up from Y to F only applies if everything else about the itinerary remains the same and you're just upgrading the cabin.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
If you won't be using a segment, cancelling rather than being a no-show would be more considerate if that flight is full and has a standby list.
The only "person" this ends up being considerate to is to Delta, as it guarantees them the revenue for the unused ticket. If OP no-shows and there are standbys, they will be cleared in once OP is off-loaded for the no-show. If on the other hand OP doesn't show up, but the flight gets significantly delayed, cancelled, or has a significant schedule change, OP would be entitled to the value of that ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.