Community
Wiki Posts
Search

award cancelation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:43 am
Original Poster

award cancelation

I'm currently gold. I have an award booked for my family but I need to cancel two of the 4 tickets. Right now in the app when I hit cancel, it takes me to a screen with cancel options but doesn't mention any fees. Does that mean they won't charge me the cancel/redeposit fee or is it assumed I know?

Also, if they are charging it, do you think they'll wave one of the fees for me? One of the tickets I booked accidently for my child that qualifies as a lap child. So in theory he doesn't need a seperate ticket.

Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
IIRC award tickets can be changed/cancelled 72+ hours before departure. Cancelling has no fees and miles are redeposited.

To cancel part of a booking I expect you'll need to make a call.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tanglin
IIRC award tickets can be changed/cancelled 72+ hours before departure. Cancelling has no fees and miles are redeposited.
I think that's only for PM/DM and higher. For gold their site still lists a $150 fee (which I think is per ticket).
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Ah. OK that explains why that's my understanding...

Sorry OP.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:18 pm

OP, how many hours has it been that you booked? I believe you can cancel anything with 24 hours with no charge. I called and the rep cancelled for me with no re-deposit fee.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Magna
OP, how many hours has it been that you booked? I believe you can cancel anything with 24 hours with no charge. I called and the rep cancelled for me with no re-deposit fee.
It's been about a week.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:27 pm

If the tickets were for a short haul minimal amount you might be better off walking away and saving the $150 per ticket penalty. Using one cent per mile as a guide I would only pay the $150 per ticket if you will be refunded at least 15,000 SM.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:17 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Typically, you can call, explain your case and an agent may have mercy on you. They have done things like this for me countless times. Just be nice hang up and call again if one doesn't help you out.
cdrwf150 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
My approach to this would be piecemeal. Start by asking just to cancel the lap child's ticket. The agent may have more sympathy to waive the fees if you didn't know he could ride in your lap when you booked the ticket. It's unlikely they'd waive fees on both tickets unless there's something more to the story (e.g., medical issue). If you're successful getting the lap child's ticket refunded without fees, I'd call back and just bite the bullet on the $150 for the second ticket.
SuperG1955 and cdrwf150 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
My approach to this would be piecemeal. Start by asking just to cancel the lap child's ticket. The agent may have more sympathy to waive the fees if you didn't know he could ride in your lap when you booked the ticket. It's unlikely they'd waive fees on both tickets unless there's something more to the story (e.g., medical issue). If you're successful getting the lap child's ticket refunded without fees, I'd call back and just bite the bullet on the $150 for the second ticket.
That's what I did.Thanks! The agent was very nice and waived the cancellation fee and transformed the ticket to an infant ticket. Going to call tomorrow for the second part. I don't mind if they charge the fee on that one. Work will reimburse me for it.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Glad it worked out for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.