Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Award Redemption Question: BE vs. miles & cash for main cabin

Old Mar 27, 19, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I have 8200 miles available to use. Im going from Los angeles to cleveland on August 5th. They have Basic Economy redemption for 8000 points + $5.60. I'm a little skeptical about using BE. For 5500 points + $95 I can do miles and cash for Main cabin. Is it worth it or should i try and tough it out with BE for the flight? Any advice is welcomed. This is my first time redeeming points.
Old Mar 27, 19, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rashodw View Post
Hello,

I have 8200 miles available to use. Im going from Los angeles to cleveland on August 5th. They have Basic Economy redemption for 8000 points + $5.60. I'm a little skeptical about using BE. For 5500 points + $95 I can do miles and cash for Main cabin. Is it worth it or should i try and tough it out with BE for the flight? Any advice is welcomed. This is my first time redeeming points.
What, exactly, is your concern about redeeming for BE? Were you planning to check baggage? Or do you just not want to board last and (possibly) get stuck in a middle seat near the back of the plane?
Old Mar 27, 19, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Just Worried about the middle seat! Im gonna carry on so no issue with checked luggage. I've never done BE before and like the option of picking my own seat etc. But not sure if its worth spending the $90 when I can go for free.
Old Mar 27, 19, 8:20 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rashodw View Post
Just Worried about the middle seat! Im gonna carry on so no issue with checked luggage. I've never done BE before and like the option of picking my own seat etc. But not sure if its worth spending the $90 when I can go for free.
Well -- only you can make that decision. Middle seat is definitely a risk booking BE -- if you are willing to pay $90 to avoid that risk and pick your own seat you have your answer. If you'd rather save the $90 but know you may end up in the middle seat you should go with BE.
Old Mar 27, 19, 8:44 am

BE is use it or lose it non changeable so if you miss the flight for any reason all of the value is lost.
Old Mar 27, 19, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice and comments. Ill pay the money for Main cabin.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: