FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Connection layover (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1962611-connection-layover.html)

saintjimmy1974 Mar 26, 2019 5:57 am

Connection layover

Have a 19hr connection mco via atl to lhr, can i leave the airport at atl ?

davetravels Mar 26, 2019 6:10 am

Absolutely! Who would stop you? :)

I plan LOOOOOOONG layovers at ATL all the time, including overnights on int'l trips to do stuff in the city.

flyerCO Mar 26, 2019 6:49 am

Originally Posted by saintjimmy1974 (Post 30930825)

No they implant a sensor in you at MCO during checkin. If you get too close to an exit, the doors lock shut, metal barriers drop down and alarms start alarming/flashing. If you continue towards the exit the implant will deliver a shock.

Joking aside, In all seriousness, of course can exit.

Jon_R Mar 26, 2019 7:20 am

Did you pick the long layover on purpose? Mco > atl is 17 flights a day. From 520am to 830pm. Curious how a 19 hour layover happened.

Often1 Mar 26, 2019 8:10 am

To be fair to OP, he may not understand how US security, passport control, and customs work.

The non-snarky answer is that you will arrive as a domestic passenger. So long as you are at your departure gate no later than 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure, nobody cares what you do in the intervening 18-1/2 hours. If you have not checked in online or have a boarding pass issued to you at MCO for your international segment or if you have bags to check, make certain that you meet the check in and bag drop deadline as well.

On departure from ATL, there is no passport control, but you will pass through a security checkpoint just as you did at MCO.

saintjimmy1974 Mar 26, 2019 8:43 am

I know how us domestic works just curious as will have boarding passes on phone. V cheap flight doing the long layover even trying to get a longer one to maybe catch the falcons at home (trip is xmas day to 7th jan 20) mrs u and i travel hand only as take food for family on way out lol.

KBMIFlyer Mar 26, 2019 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30931253)
The non-snarky answer is that you will arrive as a domestic passenger. So long as you are at your departure gate no later than 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure, nobody cares what you do in the intervening 18-1/2 hours. I

On departure from ATL, there is no passport control, but you will pass through a security checkpoint just as you did at MCO.

Agree with the above, but I might try to be at the gate earlier than 30 minutes for an international flight :)

A couple of good options, take a taxi or Uber over to the Delta Museum just north of the airport. Or, take MARTA downtown to explore the city. Olympic Park, the Coca Cola Museum, and the Atlanta Aquarium are all good choices. Five Points has lots of good eating options.

If you leave the airport, you will have to reclear security when you come back to the airport. If you are flying normal coach without TSA precheck, this can take a while in Atlanta.

3Cforme Mar 26, 2019 8:54 am

You can, but plan on taking (even) checked luggage with you. Delta is very unlikely to let you check it through with that length of stop.

tvnwz Mar 26, 2019 8:57 am

I’d also get a room and sleep some of that.

saintjimmy1974 Mar 26, 2019 9:03 am

Route is delta from mco and virgin from atl so will plan to pick up luggage, we were going to hotel and some sightseeing thanks for ideas 😀

krlcomm Mar 26, 2019 9:04 am

Leave some time to get through security at ATL... the lines there can be longer than at some/most airports.

FlyBitcoin Mar 26, 2019 9:23 am

Falcons .... meh.
Coca-Cola Museum and Aquarium are next to each other near Centennial Olympic Park.
Also College Football Hall of Fame is in same area. https://www.cfbhall.com/
Definitely do the Delta Museum on the way back to the airport. Plan at least 1 hour there. Take an Uber from there to International Terminal to complete your trip.
That will save you a lot of time over returning to main terminal (where the MARTA station is).

ricktoronto Mar 26, 2019 10:31 am

TSA, Homeland Security and the FBI will put you in Guantanamo Bay so stay in a restroom and paste on a fake beard, at least.

Also review your own flight research or your travel agent for a reason to get stuck with a 19 hour layover that is not Azerbaijan or the Falklands.

flyerCO Mar 26, 2019 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by saintjimmy1974 (Post 30931433)
Route is delta from mco and virgin from atl so will plan to pick up luggage, we were going to hotel and some sightseeing thanks for ideas 😀

Remember that when goto check luggage you'll have to goto the international terminal. If you were flying DL out of ATL you could checkin at domestic side, clear security and take airside train to gate. However can't do that with VS. Note hotel shuttles only drop off at the domestic terminal. You must then catch an airport bus to the international terminal.

flyerCO Mar 26, 2019 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30931253)
To be fair to OP, he may not understand how US security, passport control, and customs work.

The non-snarky answer is that you will arrive as a domestic passenger. So long as you are at your departure gate no later than 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure, nobody cares what you do in the intervening 18-1/2 hours. If you have not checked in online or have a boarding pass issued to you at MCO for your international segment or if you have bags to check, make certain that you meet the check in and bag drop deadline as well.

Guess what is Cleary a joking statement and even is labeled as such, is snarky. Sorry for the attempt to inject a bit of humor.