Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Which side of the plane has a better view flying into YYZ? and other questions

Old Mar 25, 19, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 GM back to PM

Tomorrow I'll fly ATL-YYZ, I wonder if one side the plane had a better view than the other. I know lots of cities have benefits, not sure what you can see, thought it was worth asking.

Also, are there any special offerings meals/drinks/or anything else for international trips into Canada?

For the return trip, where is the best place in the airport for getting poutine or a smoked sandwich?

Lastly, I decided to go YYZ--CVG--LAX for my next leg, what should I know about CVG...

traveling like a silly tourist...
Old Mar 25, 19, 10:05 pm

Programs: Delta PM/2.8 MM; Hertz PC; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Rewards Silver
I've never flown in or out of YYZ, but I've been to Woodbine racetrack which is just northeast of the airport property (if you are a horse racing fan, Woodbine is a treat; one of the best racecourses in North America). As the runways appear to be angled at 60 degrees - 240 degrees on either side of the terminal, you probably want to sit on the left hand side of the plane as the prevailing winds are out of the west; but you never know what conditions are like when you fly. Downtown Toronto is quite a ways away from YYZ; at least 15 miles if I had to guess.

As for your trip via CVG, you'll pre-clear USA immigration and customs at YYZ, and you will arrive at CVG midfield concourse B (once upon a time, Delta used all of midfield concourse A and B in addition to a CRJ terminal accessed by a Cobus 3000 bus and operated by the late and unlamented Comair (this building has been demolished). All of Delta's operations at CVG occur at concourse B. There is a high quality SkyClub with its entrance near the food court in the middle of the concourse; they have an ice cream freezer to the right of the bar, in addition to other delights. There is an Outback Steakhouse at one end of the concourse, with a number of fast food options on the opposite side, my favorite of which is Gold Star Chili (Cincinnati chili is different from chili con carne and is served on top of hot dogs or over spaghetti). I used to pass through CVG at least twice a month for probably 20 years or so. Like YYZ, CVG is adjacent to a horse racing facility; Turfway Park is just to the right of the top of runway 36R if you land from south to north. CVG is located in Kentucky; interestingly, it is owned by the Kenton County Airport Board, even though the airport is located in adjacent Boone County (CVG stands for Covington, which is in Kenton County).
cmx and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 25, 19, 10:30 pm

Normally, flights will land at YYZ from the east, meaning you will probably approach the city from the south, veer east and then circle back to land. In this case, being on the ABC side will give a view of downtown and the CN tower as you land. If the winds change, the approach may as well. Depending on the approach, you may get a view of Niagara Falls on the south side of Lake Ontario.
Old Mar 25, 19, 10:32 pm

On the other note...No good smoked meat or poutine in Toronto. You will need to visit Montreal for that. Swartz for Smoked Meat, La Banquise for Poutine, though others will have their favourites.
Old Mar 26, 19, 4:03 am

Programs: Hertz Pres Circle,DL , HH Diamond
Last time I flew Delta from ATL-YYZ I was on the AB side and seen nothing, while the CDE side had view of Niagara Falls, as flight path was on the east and then made the left turn with the falls on the north side. But of course flight paths and all get changed so anything is possible.
Old Mar 26, 19, 4:50 am

Programs: AC Prestige
YYZ Terminal 3 has Caplansky’s for smoked meat, but unfortunately for you it is airside in the Domestic/International area. You will be flying out of the Transborder area after US pre-clearance, so you will not be able to access it.
Old Mar 26, 19, 5:44 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Titanium; National Exec Elite
YYZ has 3 East-West runways (05/23, 06R/24L and 06L/24R) and 2 North-South runways (15R/33L and 15L/33R)

As per slide 9 of this document https://www.torontopearson.com/uploa...esentation.pdf, in 2014 42% of the traffic was West-East, 50% was East-West and a total of 8% was using North/South runways. So really it's almost a 50/50 chance when you land at YYZ that you will be on the "good" side to see the city.
Old Mar 26, 19, 6:27 am

Programs: DL PM
Flights from Detroit last Friday were landing from the south, so you would want to be on DEF side
Old Mar 26, 19, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkCron View Post
Flights from Detroit last Friday were landing from the south, so you would want to be on DEF side
Flights land according to the prevailing wind direction, not city they come from.
Old Mar 26, 19, 8:13 am

When winds are out of the north and east like they are this morning, you'd get a brief glimpse of Toronto out of the right (DEF) side of the plane. The winds are forecast to shift out of the southwest later in the afternoon, so if your flight's landing after 4pm, your best bet is probably the ABC side, which offers a great view as the typical approach from the south flies along the lakefront before turning north and west toward YYZ.
Old Mar 26, 19, 10:38 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, WS Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Wimsta View Post
Tomorrow I'll fly ATL-YYZ, I wonder if one side the plane had a better view than the other.

For the return trip, where is the best place in the airport for getting poutine or a smoked sandwich..
1. Not really since they almost always do a 180 degree turn at some point and there is nothing to see.

2. The best place is Montreal for the latter. Both foods.
Old Mar 26, 19, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 GM back to PM
I love that most of my friends think these oddities are a waste of time but that I can post in here and get such a wealth of knowledge.

I'm not sure how late they turn the lights on the Falls off, but maybe I'll get lucky.

What a lesson on CVG, I'm looking forward to the ice cream.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 26, 19, 6:55 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
There are many threads you should search to learn the history of CVG before going, with some remarkable pictures on this forum. It is actually quite a legendary airport here on FlyerTalk, for Delta fans, arguably the most legendary airport, with the possible exception of MEMPHIS.

You will enjoy the nostalgia but also be quite sad when you fly through CVG if you understand the history of this once great airport.
Old Mar 26, 19, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, MR Ambassador
If you don't have SkyClub access already through another means, you will have it on this trip since you're Delta GM/SkyTeam Elite+ and Delta classifies Canada as international travel.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access