Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PVD v. BOS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
PVD v. BOS

Are there any advantages with respect to flying to/from PVD instead of BOS -on Delta - , for those of us who live in the Boston area? I'm a 20 minute drive (no traffic from Logan); and a 51 minute drive (no traffic to PVD)... I flew to PVD for the first time this weekend and really liked it. Are flights from PVD cheaper/more expensive on average, etc?

Thanks!!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You're going to give up a lot of frequency and non-stop destinations out of PVD.

Don't rely on generalizations of fares. Do your own searches for destinations and dates.
jinglish and jalves like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
In my one specific case (YMMV) I have found the two to be similarly priced. Since I am not actually going into Boston proper so I can avoid traffic and tolls. Last time I flew into BOS the toll bill from the rental car place exceeded any savings in the flight.

However as mentioned, there is no frequency into PVD so the last time I missed my connection in ATL to PVD I ended up having to go to BOS anyway to make it same day. For me no big deal as I just pick up a rental car somewhere else, but if your car is at PVD that may cause a headache.
jalves likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
I generally find fares out of PVD to be higher than BOS, but that may be destination driven. Agree with the comments above about frequency and IRROPs. Had the exact same situation as defrosted (even the same connection, ATL) and had to drive the BOS rental car to PVD to get my car the next day.

PS pretty easy to check fares on Google flights. Just add PVD as a second departure airport and you'll see BOS and PVD fares to where you want to go.

Last edited by bosman; Mar 25, 2019 at 1:18 pm Reason: added details
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I prefer flying out of Providence immensely, since it's the flip for me (20 minute drive to PVD vs. 1 Hr. to BOS), but Delta actively discourages me from flying out of PVD, even though I don't mind the extra connection for my usual routing. I usually fly to the west coast and Delta regularly wants a $100-$200+ OW premium out of PVD and has a limited number of flights with usually only 3x daily to ATL/DTW (no RDU, CVG, MSP or SLC service).

But I agree, the PVD airport is great, quick to get to your gate and easy off/off the highway. But when I can hire a limo to drive me to Boston for the same price as flying out of PVD, I'm flying out of Boston.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Rather than generalizing, it really pays to look at the specific journey (in both directions) you are considering. If you can find the same convenience and same or better pricing out of one than the other, go for it.

As an aside, drive time alone is less important the the time you must depart in order to make it to the gate ontime. That one cuts in favor of PVD. On the flip side, there is less to be done in IRROPS both because there likely aren't other convenience frequencies to most destinations and because it is less likely that there is a spare aircraft to be had at PVD.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Yes, it is important to check individual dates, as the fares to the two cities vary. However, after 14 years of traveling to PVD (from SEA for about six years, then from MSP the last 8) about four times a year, I have found that most of the time it is less expensive to go to BOS. That has been reinforced by competition from Jet Blue in the last year or so. I usually fly to BOS, then take commuter rail into downtown Providence. The time and hassle spent on ground transportation ends up being comparable to the time and hassle of connecting flights to PVD. There used to be one conveniently timed NS PVD-MSP flight and back each day but that was dropped a few years ago.

I do this for personal travel, but assume many of the same factors would apply for business travel.

Last edited by CarmenOM; Mar 26, 2019 at 12:10 am
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:05 pm

PVD is a great airport, incredibly easy and convenient. The MSP-PVD direct flight allowed me to fly direct from home for college and avoid stopping in Detroit. Really appreciated the route and was the reason I started flying Delta in the first place.

If it’s any consolation, Sun Country announced that it will start flying direct from MSP-PVD which would at least provide connection options on Delta on top of Detroit and Atlanta.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:07 am

The commuter rail and Silver Line combination actually works pretty well if the schedules align with your flight. And if you can avoid driving and parking at BOS, all the better.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
PVD used to be significantly cheaper than BOS a while ago (talking 10 years) but I haven't seen flights out of there with lower prices any time recently. And as others mentioned, a lot less frequency.

PVD is smaller and so easier to navigate and less expensive parking... but I would not go out of my way to fly out of there. If you're near by and get a comparable flight cost and times that work, sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.