Columbus CMH - no SkyClub

Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by buckeye91

Not having a direct flight to Europe hurts. CVG, IND, DTW and PIT all have them.
I'd like to see DTW or CMH get a nonstop to GB aside from LHR. And if that should come to CMH rather than DTW I'll gladly drive on down there for that!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by griffy208
I'd like to see DTW or CMH get a nonstop to GB aside from LHR. And if that should come to CMH rather than DTW I'll gladly drive on down there for that!
It will NEVER happen to CMH before DTW.
SJC ORD LDR, HDQDD and griffy208 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Columbus simply is not a big enough or economically important enough city for TATL flight. It's a pipe dream that isn't happening.

I mean, CMH only recently got SLC...
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by indufan
It will NEVER happen to CMH before DTW.
I know I'd love to see this happen at DTW someday... Give me EDI or GLA or INV!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tvtd
Not arguing your point, but just reflecting it is kind of hard to believe for the amount of corporate travel in the region.
I wonder how much of that corporate travel is contracted to DL versus AA versus being free range?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by blueflyer3
This post reminds me of the bizarre heated arguments on a.net between Midwesterners (IND, PIT, CLE, CVG, CMH, etc.) about how *their* airport DESERVES transatlantic service and the other airports don't.

Folks, the airline industry is a commercial enterprise. This is not a grant funding application. If it's profitable enough, they will probably do it.
I someone from PIT hears you calling PIT "midwestern" you're gonna get it.

PIT is not east coast, but it's not midwestern. I'll step back now and watch the fur fly...
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC

PIT is not east coast, but it's not midwestern. I'll step back now and watch the fur fly...
This is getting really off-topic, but basically western New York, western Pennsylvania, and most of Ohio and Michigan are similar to each other and aren't really Midwest. North Central or Old Northwest would be better descriptors.

See here: https://hourdetroit.com/from-the-magazine/the-meaning-of-midwest/
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Regardless of how you split hairs, Columbus is the biggest city in Ohio and is the second biggest in the Midwest. I can't think of another city with 800,000-plus people without a Sky Club. Plus, you have Fortune 500 companies in or near Columbus on top of one of the biggest public universities in the country.

Just seems odd not to have even a Priority Pass lounge.
Let's not forget that Columbus is also the state capitol.

Many of the same statements apply to Madison, WI, which also doesn't have a SC.

BTW, when the "new" terminal was built for PIT, shopping was supposed to be part of the attraction of the airport.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by M2578Z
I agree. On the plus side though, I can get from my couch downtown to the gate in 28 mins, so I don't have to spend a lot of time in the terminal.
Isn't the more important metric for this the variance? If you cannot count on getting to the airport in 28 +/- 10 minutes for example, you either spend a lot of time in the airport or you miss a lot of flights.

I suspect that there might have been a TWA lounge at CMH at some point. Perhaps the space became the America West lounge, although it's odd that a smaller and IIRC LCC airline would have a lounge.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 26, 2019 at 12:44 pm
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't the more important metric for this the variance? If you cannot count on getting to the airport in 28 +/- 10 minutes for example, you either spend a lot of time in the airport or you miss a lot of flights.

I suspect that there might have been a TWA lounge at CMH at some point. Perhaps the space became the America West lounge, although it's odd that a smaller and IIRC LCC airline would have a lounge.
Well the TWA Ambassadors Club at CMH does have a Priority Pass page. Suspect they've had very few entries in the past decade.

According to the America West History Page the America West Club was taken over from TWA in 2000.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
Originally Posted by WWads
Columbus simply is not a big enough or economically important enough city for TATL flight. It's a pipe dream that isn't happening.

I mean, CMH only recently got SLC...

PIT and CLE also only recently got SLC.

MCI, STL, IND, CVG (WW), CLE, and PIT all have gained TATL in recent years. If you fund it, they will come.

The Ambassadors Club became the America West Club. It was roughly halfway between Gates B21 and B23.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC

As a Pittsburgher myself, I'm inclined to agree with you. "Mid-Atlantic" is probably the term that fits best. When it comes to talking about airports, I guess I (perhaps carelessly) tend to lump PIT in with other airports in the Midwest that are former hubs given how similar a lot of them are in terms of positioning, passenger count, service, etc.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
CIty or metro area? I don't see Columbus surpassing Detroit or Minneapolis-St.Paul in terms of metro area.
This is an interesting thread. One of my kids went to a visit at Ohio State, thinking about going to school there. The pitch that the university reiterated over and over was that Columbus is in the top 10 largest cities in the United States. I scratched my head at that one, as I dug deeper, what they meant was, has a large geographic footprint, and the municipality itself encompasses around 800,000 people spread over 200+ square miles. By comparison, Cleveland and Cincinnati have somewhere around 70 square miles in each of their cities. Boston has less then 50 and Atlanta has 133. All of the Ohio cities mentioned have around 4,000 people per square mile. The point being, Columbus is a fine city with many great things. The headline that catches attention regarding population though is a bit misleading. Using Cincinnati as an example: In 2020, Cincinnati and Dayton are expected to be married into a single census population area, similar to Columbus along I 70 towards Zanesville and Cleveland with Akron and Canton. The population of the new metro area will be north of 3 million. Add to that the surrounding areas of Indiana and Kentucky that CVG draws from, and you begin to get a glimpse into the volumes and revenue that likely drive the investments Delta makes at CVG ( as well as the cutbacks that they made for several years). It was stated really well above, airlines are free enterprises that follow the money, pure and simple. If there was money to be had or made by putting a SkyClub at Columbus, I imagine Delta would do so.
pgh234 and jdrtravel like this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 6:01 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
So there is a new Escape lounge going into Concourse B at Columbus. Of course, all Delta flights go out of C, so one would have to re-clear security. Even though most of my flying is from B (except on Alaska from C), I'll likely never set foot in this lounge. CMH is only 10 minutes from home, so on any delay, I'll head home and back instead of the lounge. I also don't have a Plat as Amex won't give me any more cards I wouldn't think there is much connecting traffic in CMH either, except on WN, who flies out of A. Anyway, here are some preview pics:

Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by blueflyer3
As a Pittsburgher myself, I'm inclined to agree with you. "Mid-Atlantic" is probably the term that fits best. When it comes to talking about airports, I guess I (perhaps carelessly) tend to lump PIT in with other airports in the Midwest that are former hubs given how similar a lot of them are in terms of positioning, passenger count, service, etc.
I would put PIT, CLE, DTW, CMH and CHI squarely in the "Great Lakes" category. Not midwestern, not mid-Atlantic, not northeast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.