Columbus CMH - no SkyClub

Reply

Old Mar 25, 19, 8:22 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: The ATL
Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Posts: 419
Atlanta (inside city limits) is smaller than Columbus.
I vote they box up the Concourse B Sky Club and ship it up to you.
You can mount it high above one of your concourses.
FlyBitcoin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 8:37 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN. US
Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Posts: 527
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin View Post
Atlanta (inside city limits) is smaller than Columbus.
I vote they box up the Concourse B Sky Club and ship it up to you.
You can mount it high above one of your concourses.
Does this include shipping up the crabby bartenders, surly staff and huge crowds in the B club? It’s just not the B club without those fun features.
MSPeconomist, AANYC1981 and hi55us like this.
puck021 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 8:55 am
  #33  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,336
Originally Posted by puck021 View Post


Does this include shipping up the crabby bartenders, surly staff and huge crowds in the B club? It’s just not the B club without those fun features.
On a side note, the funny thing about the Concourse B lounge is it proves that science is right. As with highways, enlarging something doesn't reduce the congestion and overcrowding. It just makes it worse.
monitor and M2578Z like this.
hockeyinsider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 8:56 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 40
This post reminds me of the bizarre heated arguments on a.net between Midwesterners (IND, PIT, CLE, CVG, CMH, etc.) about how *their* airport DESERVES transatlantic service and the other airports don't.

Folks, the airline industry is a commercial enterprise. This is not a grant funding application. If it's profitable enough, they will probably do it.
CPMaverick likes this.
blueflyer3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 9:14 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 70
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC View Post
DL's decision where to place SCs is all about premium and elite passenger volumes and not total passenger counts. From DL's POV there must not be enough volume for the numbers to work. Not only do the number not work for DL, but they seem to not work for AA or UA either, and AA has more traffic in and out of CMH than DL does.

No SC aside, the DL terminal in CMH, and the CMH airport as a whole is so bland and uninspired. Limited food options post-security worsened by the fact that the three concourses are not connected post-security. A major fail for an airport this size. Not an airport on the top half of my favorite airports list.
I agree. On the plus side though, I can get from my couch downtown to the gate in 28 mins, so I don't have to spend a lot of time in the terminal.
M2578Z is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 9:38 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CMH
Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AAdvantage, US Airways Dividend Miles (Fmr), Northwest WorldPerks (Fmr)
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
I'm really surprised that Delta doesn't have a Sky Club in Columbus. Especially considering the fact that Columbus is the second-biggest city in the Midwest, beyond only Chicago. Yes, I realize Columbus isn't a hub -- it isn't a hub for any airline -- but it's amazing there isn't a Delta lounge, let alone a Priority Pass lounge.
Stepping off the soapbox now.
I have a friend who's a gate agent at CMH and he's said there are a number of people who check in and are surprised to find no Club. Leading into:


Originally Posted by Paul E Thomas View Post
There is space in a vacant upper level closed restuarant. Maybe if Delta and CMH can come to agreement on an AMS flight a Skyclub would follow.
I agree the former Mulligan's restaurant would be the perfect spot for one. If CMH were ever to get a TATL flight (CRAA and DL have both acknowledged mutual interest), the location would make sense as the flight would presumably leave C46 (FIS gate).

Originally Posted by DltaSchmlta View Post
My biggest complaint about CMH and Delta is they make you walk past all these unused gates to get to the farthest gate (C56) to get your flight. I think they do it so you have to walk past all the stores and the airport gets more rent. They are the biggest airline in the C concourse and they should have gates closest to security.
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
Is it possible that the gates they use are better for operational reasons?
DL DID use the gates closest to security (today known as C46, a door (call it C47A) for RJs, C47, and C48) before the expansion of C in 2002 (WN had C49 and 50). When the expansion was finished, they moved to C52-56 and added C51 for NW in 2009 as the merger was taking place.

The majority of mainline flights leave C54-56. This could be because the holdrooms are much larger than at other gates and/or these gates are the most versatile in terms of the fleet types used (see below). I'm typically there in the 4-7pm range, with an RJ to DTW usually at 54, mainline to ATL at 55, and mainline to MSP at 56. Occasionally, you'll have a mainline flight go off C50, especially early morning, and LAX tends to leave from C51. (C52 and C53 are on a double jetway that can't handle anything larger than an E175.)

CRAA had an RFP for jetways last year which gives you an idea as to which gates can handle which planes:
C50: DC‐9,MD80/88/90,737‐7,738,739,CRJ200,CRJ700,CRJ900,E175,E170,A3 21,A320,A319,B717,E145
C51:CRJ200,CRJ700,E175,E190,A320,A319,E145,DC‐9,B7 37‐700,B737‐800,B737‐900,CRJ900
C52:CRJ200,CRJ700,CRJ900,E175,E170,E135,E145
C53:CRJ200,CRJ700,CRJ900,E175,E170,E135,E145
C54:CRJ200,CRJ700,CRJ900,E175,E190,A320,A319,B717, B737‐700,B737‐800,B737‐900,E145,DC95,DC9‐4,DC9 ‐3,MD88,MD90
C55:CRJ200,CRJ700,CRJ900,E175,E190,A320,A319,B717, 737‐700,737‐800,737‐900,E145,DC‐95,DC‐94,DC‐93,MD8 8,MD 90,E135,757‐200
C56:CRJ200,CRJ700,CRJ900,E175,E190,A320,A319,B717, 737‐700,737‐800,737‐900,E145,DC‐95,DC‐94,DC‐93,MD8 8,MD90,E135,757‐200,767
What gets interesting are the RONs/early morning flights. CMH has 3 to ATL (which are typically some combination of 738/739/M88/M90/occasional 757), a 738 to MSP, a 738 to LAX and, in a couple months, will add a 319 to SLC.

Last edited by JSprague24; Mar 25, 19 at 9:46 am
JSprague24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 12:36 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: DL DM (segs), Hilton DM, Marriott Pt, TSA Opt-out Platinum
Posts: 2,386
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
Miami and Nashville don't have a population of 800,000. But, Houston, San Antonio, and San Jose do have more than 800,000 and they don't have Sky Clubs.
City limit populations are meaningless when measuring catchment area. Obviously, people who live in adjoining towns/suburbs also use the airport. Most major airports aren't even in the city limits of the cities they serve. CSA (Combined Statistical Area), is a far better metric for air travel catchment populations.

CSA's (in millions):
BNA is 2.03
MIA is 6.8
Houston: 7.09
Bay area: 8.8
SAT is not part of a CSA due to geography, but MSA is 2.47mil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area
HDQDD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 1:48 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Programs: DL DM Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by griffy208 View Post
Columbus is awful.

Go Blue!

I kid.

Kinda...
Love you TTUN folks coming to Columbus and giving us your tax dollars, etc. every 2 years for your annual beat down. Heck, TTUN has not won a game in Columbus since 2000!

I've lived in Columbus for most of my life. We used to have a Southwest non-stop to Oakland. That stopped a few months ago.

Alaska just started direct service to Seattle. Hope it sticks around.

Columbus is supposed to be the 2nd largest city in the Midwest during the upcoming decade.

Red coat last year told me they are planning on putting a SkyClub in when the new terminal is built...who knows when that is.

Not having a direct flight to Europe hurts. CVG, IND, DTW and PIT all have them.
griffy208 likes this.
buckeye91 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 1:51 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 7,600
Originally Posted by buckeye91 View Post
Columbus is supposed to be the 2nd largest city in the Midwest during the upcoming decade.
.
CIty or metro area? I don't see Columbus surpassing Detroit or Minneapolis-St.Paul in terms of metro area.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
jdrtravel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 2:24 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: At the moment? ...
Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 340
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
I'm really surprised that Delta doesn't have a Sky Club in Columbus. Especially considering the fact that Columbus is the second-biggest city in the Midwest, beyond only Chicago. Yes, I realize Columbus isn't a hub -- it isn't a hub for any airline -- but it's amazing there isn't a Delta lounge, let alone a Priority Pass lounge.

Stepping off the soapbox now.
I don’t think there’s any soapbox to be on. I call CMH home now and am adding it to the list of airports which surprisingly don’t have a Skyclub (IAD is the only other on the list). I generally depart on the first flights of the morning and return late morning/early afternoon. There is not a time of day when there isn’t a gate being prepped for arrival or departure.

I do agree that space is a factor and did not know the second floor area after TSA is airside. What a perfect spot for a club. Thanks @JSprague24 for that info, though I do take issue with the C54-56 area because of that ridiculous restaurant. The C55 boarding door opens directly into it causing huge amounts of efficient Gate Lice clogs coupled with the SkyCap golf carts trying to drive through.

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC View Post
DL's decision where to place SCs is all about premium and elite passenger volumes and not total passenger counts. From DL's POV there must not be enough volume for the numbers to work. Not only do the number not work for DL, but they seem to not work for AA or UA either, and AA has more traffic in and out of CMH than DL does.
Not arguing your point, but just reflecting it is kind of hard to believe for the amount of corporate travel in the region.

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin View Post
I vote they box up the Concourse B Sky Club and ship it up to you.
You can mount it high above one of your concourses.
I’ll take that deal if it doesn’t come with the noise and crowded overflow.

Originally Posted by JSprague24 View Post
DL DID use the gates closest to security (today known as C46, a door (call it C47A) for RJs, C47, and C48) before the expansion of C in 2002 (WN had C49 and 50). When the expansion was finished, they moved to C52-56 and added C51 for NW in 2009 as the merger was taking place.

What gets interesting are the RONs/early morning flights. CMH has 3 to ATL (which are typically some combination of 738/739/M88/M90/occasional 757), a 738 to MSP, a 738 to LAX and, in a couple months, will add a 319 to SLC.
Point of interest and off topic, C49 has now gone to Alaska for their daily Seattle direct. In the case of CMH and IAD post Alaska agreement, DL has added or is adding service to SLC.
tvtd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 2:54 pm
  #41  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,336
Originally Posted by tvtd View Post
I don’t think there’s any soapbox to be on. I call CMH home now and am adding it to the list of airports which surprisingly don’t have a Skyclub (IAD is the only other on the list). I generally depart on the first flights of the morning and return late morning/early afternoon. There is not a time of day when there isn’t a gate being prepped for arrival or departure.
You could at least access the Air France/KLM lounge at Washington–Dulles until earlier this year. Even after this Delta-wide devaluation, there are still Priority Pass options at IAD. There is nothing at CMH.
hockeyinsider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 2:59 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CMH
Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AAdvantage, US Airways Dividend Miles (Fmr), Northwest WorldPerks (Fmr)
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by buckeye91 View Post
I've lived in Columbus for most of my life. We used to have a Southwest non-stop to Oakland. That stopped a few months ago.

Alaska just started direct service to Seattle. Hope it sticks around.

Columbus is supposed to be the 2nd largest city in the Midwest during the upcoming decade.

Red coat last year told me they are planning on putting a SkyClub in when the new terminal is built...who knows when that is.

Not having a direct flight to Europe hurts. CVG, IND, DTW and PIT all have them.
-WN restored CMH-OAK on a seasonal basis in response to UA adding CMH-SFO. It comes back this Spring.
-The new terminal is 2030 at the very earliest.
-CRAA and DL have been talking about a TATL flight (rumored to be AMS), but it comes down to money.
JSprague24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 3:53 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Midwest USA
Programs: BA Gold, UA SIL, WN A+/CP, Marriott Tit (LT), Hyatt EXP, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,334
There used to be an America West Club back when it was a hub. That was before I knew what an airline club was. I'm guessing it was mid-late 1990's.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
nachosdelux is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 4:26 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco & Squaw Valley
Programs: Giants Ballpark Pass. Lifetime Ambassador Club. WN A+/CP, AS MVP, UA "fools Gold" (aka PresPlus).
Posts: 2,910
Originally Posted by nachosdelux View Post
There used to be an America West Club back when it was a hub. That was before I knew what an airline club was. I'm guessing it was mid-late 1990's.
It was closed when I first visited CMH in 2003.

Also---I think CMH would be an ideal candidate for an Escape Lounge. The Amex Plat-accessible Escape Lounges tend to be in smaller markets with no other clubs (e.g. [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], etc.) with one notable exception (MSP).
worldwidedreamer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 19, 4:58 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: At the moment? ...
Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 340
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
You could at least access the Air France/KLM lounge at Washington–Dulles until earlier this year. Even after this Delta-wide devaluation, there are still Priority Pass options at IAD. There is nothing at CMH.
I always kept the Air France option in mind at IAD but unfortunately my schedule never made it a viable option (first flights, then desperate to get home). The lone time in four years when I would have used it was on a four hour MX delay with an MD88 but they wouldn’t let me in because of expected occupancy from the international flights.
tvtd is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread