Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Giving Sky Club access to family member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Pretty sure the answer to this is a solid “no”, but I’ll give it a shot anyway:

My son (17) will be flying solo on Delta in a few months, with a very long layover in ATL. He is a SkyMiles member, but he has no status.

I will be buying his ticket with points. I am Delta Gold, and an AmEx Platinum cardholder as well. Is there any way I can leverage either the Gold status or the Platinum card to get him into a Sky Club lounge in ATL? Even if he had to pony up the $29?

Again, I am guessing that the answer is “no,” even if he wasn’t a minor. Am I right?

Please and thank you!
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by squirk
Pretty sure the answer to this is a solid “no”, but I’ll give it a shot anyway:

My son (17) will be flying solo on Delta in a few months, with a very long layover in ATL. He is a SkyMiles member, but he has no status.

I will be buying his ticket with points. I am Delta Gold, and an AmEx Platinum cardholder as well. Is there any way I can leverage either the Gold status or the Platinum card to get him into a Sky Club lounge in ATL? Even if he had to pony up the $29?

Again, I am guessing that the answer is “no,” even if he wasn’t a minor. Am I right?

Please and thank you!
The only way he can get free lounge access is if you add him as an additional card holder which will be $175. However you must be 18+ to enter the SC and 21+ at self serve bar clubs alone.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
You could add him to your Amex account as a cardholder. You can add up to three more cards for $175 (not each, you pay $175 and then you can have 1, 2 or 3 more cards.

Another option is for him to get his own Delta Amex card, like the gold or platinum. Could be a good first credit card if he is responsible enough to have one. Those cards allow access for $29 per entry to the cardholder.

edited to add: In terms of him being a minor, this should not be a problem at 17 years old as long as the club does not have a self service bar. There may technically be an 18 & over rule, but I don't see this being enforced as long as he is dressed decently and has the card.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:36 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
You could add him to your Amex account as a cardholder. You can add up to three more cards for $175 (not each, you pay $175 and then you can have 1, 2 or 3 more cards.

Another option is for him to get his own Delta Amex card, like the gold or platinum. Could be a good first credit card if he is responsible enough to have one. Those cards allow access for $29 per entry to the cardholder.
Can't apply for a credit card until you're 18. You could add him as an additional card holder for a Gold or Platinum Delta AMEX card and then he could get into the club for $29. It is hit or miss whether they ID, some people are able to get through.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Rather than spend $175 on an additional card, wouldn’t it be more fun for someone his age to catch an Uber to the beach, which is so close to the airport? Or is there something about that nearby beach area that makes it undesirable?

Oooops! I read ATL but thought of LAX.

Are there interesting places he could get to in Atlanta on MARTA?
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Can't apply for a credit card until you're 18. You could add him as an additional card holder for a Gold or Platinum Delta AMEX card and then he could get into the club for $29. It is hit or miss whether they ID, some people are able to get through.
Wouldn't DL have his DOB from his SM/ticket? Could be hard coded when they scan?
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:22 pm
formerly jackvogt

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Rather than spend $175 on an additional card, wouldn’t it be more fun for someone his age to catch an Uber to the beach, which is so close to the airport? Or is there something about that nearby beach area that makes it undesirable?
There is no beach in Atlanta.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
The closest beach to ATL is 3.5-4 hours away. The DL Museum at ATL would be a much better use of his time.
Donald.Trump and strickerj like this.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Mar 23, 2019 at 8:37 pm
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
There is no beach in Atlanta.
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle

The closest beach to ATL is 3.5-4 hours away.
My mistake - reading ATL and thinking LAX. I’ve amended my post.
Donald.Trump and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bloc0102
Wouldn't DL have his DOB from his SM/ticket? Could be hard coded when they scan?
Its not linked. As far as age, I've never seen DL care as long as doesn't look preteenish.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:36 pm
formerly jackvogt

I will say that the some states don't allow anyone in a club with a bar if you are under 21 and by yourself such as PHL. But as far as I know in Atlanta, regardless of the type of bar, you can still go in.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Can apply for his own, but parent is the one to sign application for him.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
How long is this layover?
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
He could take MARTA to the Georgia Aquarium and/or the World of Coke museum.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
He could take MARTA to the Georgia Aquarium and/or the World of Coke museum.
Agreed. If he has enough time, he should MARTA to downtown and explore. There are many things he could do. The Aquarium and Coke museum are great ideas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.