Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Only 4 left at this price - phantom partner award availability

Only 4 left at this price - phantom partner award availability

Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Isn’t advertising a fare that they won’t honor or is not actually available against some federal and/or state laws?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
Isn’t advertising a fare that they won’t honor or is not actually available against some federal and/or state laws?
Nope. Mistakes don’t need to be honored.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Originally Posted by pbarnette

Nope. Mistakes don’t need to be honored.
But the “mistake” has been brought to their attention and they’ve refused to correct it. That seems like it would run afoul of some regulations.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Here you go:

https://www.jdpower.com/business/rat...l-Carrier/1269

https://www.theacsi.org/index.php?op...212&i=Airlines

https://www.travelandleisure.com/air...a-most-admired

Put simply, the statement that Delta’s reputation is “in the gutter” is patently false.

And for the record, I didn’t attack anyone I pointed out a false statement.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Reputation is how actual customers see and perceive a company, not how it advertises and positions itself. Two different things.
Exactly. If Delta doesn’t give a **** about giving customers partner award options in an easy and less time consuming way, not training or allowing its agents to quickly and efficiently find and price partner award options, and have GTS agents who refuse to do their jobs - I can’t give a **** about earning more Skymiles.

Perception is reality.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:56 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Tell them to check SkyMiles/Direct Access under More Options.

Have them first search segment by segment vs origin to destination (if not going to or from TPE only).

That or long sell, but long sell I think pretty much everyone is blocked from doing now.
Thanks for the advice.

I guess the other question is, is there a definitive authority on whether space is truly phantom or not? In my case Delta.com is showing it but won't book, EF is showing it, but Airfrance.us isn't showing it.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:47 am

Unfortunately, I'm having the same issue with China Eastern awards on Delta, for HKG-PVG-HNL. I've typed the pax name so many times now!! Also tried calling and was told they see the same 4 seats available but then after you click to submit, it craps out and says it just sold out.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Have you tried ticketing 3, 2, or 1 award for that itinerary? I can understand the value of having the entire party travel together - but this might be helpful as a diagnostic.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by optostar
Unfortunately, I'm having the same issue with China Eastern awards on Delta, for HKG-PVG-HNL. I've typed the pax name so many times now!! Also tried calling and was told they see the same 4 seats available but then after you click to submit, it craps out and says it just sold out.
If the res agents also see it available, it likely is available, just somehow the PNR is not being properly created at MU at ticketing, so it fails... that can be worked around..

It happens from time to time, and a good agent will work around it (via longsell or something else, not sure exactly how). The issue is getting a competent agent who knows what is going behind their dumbed down and extremely buggy and cares enough to get it to ticket for you.
optostar likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by bgriff
Thanks for the advice.

I guess the other question is, is there a definitive authority on whether space is truly phantom or not? In my case Delta.com is showing it but won't book, EF is showing it, but Airfrance.us isn't showing it.
No 100% certain definitive authority on what is really available to DL customers (that DL itself is not blocking, or other airline isn't blocking to DL), I'm afraid. The only real way to see that is the command line (non-GUI) DL res system, that few if anyone has access to now, as DL is working very hard to restrict award availability as much as possible.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: Delta platinum, Hilton diamond mts
I too have been searching LAX -BNE-PER, found several options at 200k , got all the way to payment and received the error message of sold out. Tired many other options, same result. Called Delta 2 hours ago, agent could see the same thing, but she couldn’t book it either. She couldn’t book main for 40k. So over this award calendar!
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL
Have had mixed success booking the VA awards via Skymiles at these low rates going on 3 years now. It's blatant revenue management / protection when the DL metal equivalents are 2-6x the miles. VA has the award ticket available, the search engine works as intended but can't book via online / phone until usually somewhere around a week out once most of the availability has dried up. Really disappointing to watch these fares disappear.

Can anyone book at all on VA using Skymiles right now? I can't...

Last edited by No Smoking; Apr 2, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by No Smoking
Have had mixed success booking the VA awards via Skymiles at these low rates going on 3 years now. It's blatant revenue management / protection when the DL metal equivalents are 2-6x the miles. VA has the award ticket available, the search engine works as intended but can't book via online / phone until usually somewhere around a week out once most of the availability has dried up. Really disappointing to watch these fares disappear.

Can anyone book at all on VA using Skymiles right now? I can't...
Have you tried to contact a DL contact center in a different region of the world than the when on the phone trying to do so before?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:16 pm

So I have sworn off wasting my time with phantom availability (the tip-off is there are always four seats available -- at least in the case of flights from Australia to the US).

So I called the AAdvantage desk yesterday (I have no status) and within ten minutes had two one-way tickets on JL in J (SYD-NRT and NRT-JFK with a two hour connection for 100K miles for each of us).
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:15 pm

Any luck with booking VA J awards using DL miles in the last few months? I did see the 100K awards (4 on each flight) from HBA/ADL-LAX for May/June 2019 and it matched ExpertFlyer availability. Never had a chance to even try to book them, but it sounds like I didn't miss out on much, since it didn't exist in the first place. Wondering what recent Virgin Australia success stories are like- if they even exist that is?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.