Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Only 4 left at this price - phantom partner award availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

I am trying to book an Award on Deltas Partner Virgin Australia LAX-BNE....for Feb12, 2020....Deltas website shows non stop flight on VA8 is available for 40,000 SM and only 4 left at this price......When I go to book it, I can enter all the necessary info, even select seats, on the last page to confirm and pay, the website then says that flight has just sold out and to search for another flight.... Delta's website has been doing this for three days... Even when I call Delta,( I have tried for three days now numerous times) they keep saying there is no availability on that flight...YET Delta doesn't seem to update their website.....
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Very common,
Same thing happen with flight for China Eastern & China Southern.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sometimes it can be helpful to go to some third party website to search for availability: You start with DL because you're using DL miles, then go to VA as the operating carrier (but they're likely to show award seats available with their own miles), then some other partner, and maybe try EF.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

EF shows availability.....yet VA's site only shows "anytime" economy... Funny how Delta's site still isn't correct... its been 4 days
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OKImready
EF shows availability.....yet VA's site only shows "anytime" economy... Funny how Delta's site still isn't correct... its been 4 days
It may never be corrected. Same phantom availability happened to me on MU flights. It was not corrected for about 2 months when flight departed.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by OKImready
Not really funny unfortunately. There have been problems like this for years. DL doesn't seem to care. When/if this phantom availability does go away, it won't be due to an actual solution.
Donald.Trump and hi55us like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
It isn't always phantom availability. Sometimes it is real, just need a competent phone agent to get it through the very buggy ticketing system.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by RealHJ
It isn't always phantom availability. Sometimes it is real, just need a competent phone agent to get it through the very buggy ticketing system.

THIS. I would keep calling Delta and insist they honor the offer on their own web site. Hang up. Call again. Keep pushing and trying. You will get it eventually.
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mridley2

THIS. I would keep calling Delta and insist they honor the offer on their own web site. Hang up. Call again. Keep pushing and trying. You will get it eventually.
I don't think it's so easy. DL can't manufacture partner award inventory that doesn't exist or that the partner isn't willing to make available to DL.
RealHJ and Donald.Trump like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mridley2
Yes and no. If it is really available and just can't be booked at the first try/online (other sources confirm availability, like ExpertFlyer), then yes, there is a shot at that, if you get a good agent who cares and knows what they are doing. But if it is true phantom availability, then no, as nothing DL can do to open up award space on other airlines (well unless they call and ask them, but DL doesn't care about its pax or its reputation, that's way down in the gutter anyway, so DL won't bother to do that...and even if they did, 90%+ likely it wouldn't work, as it's not an irrops or such situation when DL may have a valid case to ask the operating airline to open up inventory).
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:06 am
Original Poster

I have tried calling Delta numerous times ...twice a day for over four days, they put me on hold, and come back and say there is no award availability.... I mention about how it STILL shows up on their(Delta's) website( 4 available at this price of 40K miles), and agents just say that they (agent I was speaking to at the time) doesn't control what goes up on the website. Mention it shows on EF and they still say no availability....THEN they mention it is available as a paid flight...This is for Feb12, 2020 so I guess I will keep trying...thanks for all the info everyone
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:33 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
When I used to be a diamond I got an agent to honor the price for delta metal
Donald.Trump likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
I’ve seen economy class on VA available far out, but never business class. Business on VA from LAX is typically not bookable until about a week out, but it’s showing available on the OPs date.

It has to be an error, but grab it while you can if it’s not.

What a cluster ..... Delta puts its employees and customers through.

Last edited by sleuth; Mar 24, 2019 at 9:13 am
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:57 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Any tips on what to say to the good agent when it's showing on EF but Delta.com bugs out trying to book it? I see some China Airlines space that shows on EF so I'm guessing it's real ...
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
Any tips on what to say to the good agent when it's showing on EF but Delta.com bugs out trying to book it? I see some China Airlines space that shows on EF so I'm guessing it's real ...
Tell them to check SkyMiles/Direct Access under More Options.

Have them first search segment by segment vs origin to destination (if not going to or from TPE only).

That or long sell, but long sell I think pretty much everyone is blocked from doing now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.