Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy + No Status = First

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Basic Economy + No Status = First

On a Canada-US flight this morning my “At Gate” seat assignment magically turned into 1D. I have to think nearly all of the 58 other passengers in economy were more qualified for that upgrade. Goes to show you just never know what will happen when you play the airplane game!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Did you end up on the flight due to a flight disruption, or did you purchase that particular flight?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RRDD
Did you end up on the flight due to a flight disruption, or did you purchase that particular flight?
Purchased a Basic Economy ticket on Delta.com. No IRROPS.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Been discussed many times before. BE gets whatever seats are left. If that's F, they get F. However most agents will ensure elites have been upgraded before giving it to a BE passenger.
sdadept likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was there an upgrade list for the flight or were all eligible elites already upgraded?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
What were the cities you flew?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCAFly
What were the cities you flew?
YYJ-SEA. The app shows 13 people were upgraded to C+ and I was the only one upgraded to F.
griffy208 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:54 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by DLASflyer

YYJ-SEA. The app shows 13 people were upgraded to C+ and I was the only one upgraded to F.
I suppose this will be the new reason why people have BE so much. Because there is a sliver of a chance that a non elite will receive first class...I love it. Congrats on taking the gamble and winning. I have gotten C+ several times but other than that, it has been aisle or window in the back.
DLASflyer, TetonSig, Jma12 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

YYJ service is stopping shortly. Also most Canadian flights are light on elites/paid F, other than YYZ and to lesser extent, YVR. Thus greater likelihood of F being last available seats.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
Basic Economy + Diamond Status = First

Diamond medallion booked BE $99 roundtrip SJC-LAS. Volunteered on SJC-LAS potential oversold flight- but not needed upgraded to First. Return flight had empty first class seats and no one left on upgrade list, so I asked and exception was made and upgraded to First.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
YYJ service is stopping shortly. Also most Canadian flights are light on elites/paid F, other than YYZ and to lesser extent, YVR. Thus greater likelihood of F being last available seats.
My luck as a bottom feeder elite on UA and DL has been pretty good on CPUs to F on Canadian routes. Even on award tickets.

As for the OP I once got C+ on a BE ticket but usually am stuck in the back. I now usually find myself paying the medallion tax and buying main cabin to preserve the upgrade chances.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Seats went out empty in C+ and steerage. Maybe the agents are just being nice and not following corporate policies for their last few months of employment!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Seats went out empty in C+ and steerage. Maybe the agents are just being nice and not following corporate policies for their last few months of employment!
Brought a main cabin ticket from ATL-AUS, probably should of book BE for a gamble. Who knows.. maybe I can still get lucky..
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Also most Canadian flights are light on elites/paid F, other than YYZ and to lesser extent, YVR. Thus greater likelihood of F being last available seats.
YVR to a lesser extent? I think not... I haven't been this low on an upgrade list since being FO! And on a Tuesday no less.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
My luck as a bottom feeder elite on UA and DL has been pretty good on CPUs to F on Canadian routes. Even on award tickets.
Probably depends on the route... that or I don't have your luck.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by defrosted
YVR to a lesser extent? I think not... I haven't been this low on an upgrade list since being FO! And on a Tuesday no less.

Probably depends on the route... that or I don't have your luck.
YVR varies wildly. It just depends. However YYZ generally has much more paid F, if for no other reason than cheap J fares ex-YYZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.