Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

i finally realized why economy is so bad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

i finally realized why economy is so bad

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Ordhater
I’m going to get this IBTL and disagree with the OP. While the recline situation is definitely unpleasant, as is the lack of legroom, to me the worst thing about flying economy is the shoulder room. I’m an average sized guy but my typical 19 inch shoulder width doesn’t work well with 17 inch wide seats. Put me next to another average sized guy and we both have to scrunch to fit into the seats.

Agreed. Really hope that that the A220 is the future. I'm a pretty small person but I still just value my personal space
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I gave up on exit rows long ago. I'd rather deal with recline than the invariable person in the middle exit row overflowing into the other seats with the FA's and GA's unwilling to do anything about it.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I gave up on exit rows long ago. I'd rather deal with recline than the invariable person in the middle exit row overflowing into the other seats with the FA's and GA's unwilling to do anything about it.
It's been a while since I've sat in the exit row. Isn't there a solid partition between seats (instead of movable armrests) so there is no issue with spillover (at least of the abdominal region)?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Don't sit in the exit row on a Delta A319/320 cause you will not be reclining either.
There are quite a few people who care more about avoiding a seat reclining into them than about being able to recline.
I, for one, when in economy would gladly forgo reclining in exchange for not having someone recline in to me -- if someone is reclining into me, I can't use my laptop.
ExArkie and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
There are quite a few people who care more about avoiding a seat reclining into them than about being able to recline.
I, for one, when in economy would gladly forgo reclining in exchange for not having someone recline in to me -- if someone is reclining into me, I can't use my laptop.
Yes, 100% this. If an airline has 31" or less in pitch, recline should be removed. I would prefer 29" seat pitch with no recline than the risk of someone reclining into me than a 30-31" seat with a rude recliner in front of me (and yes, it is rude - even if you think you are "entitled" to that space). Even ignoring the issue with pain from knees jammed into the seat, It basically makes it impossible to work on a laptop at all.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL Plat/SC 1MM, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Sam's Club
We are entitled to the space of our seats, be it up front, or the back. . . bolt upright or full recline. Being almost 2m tall, I always pray my fellow pax in front of me won't recline.

That being said, I always recline. When doing so, I do it slowly. I then adjust my appendages as needed.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by TomMM
Whatever happened to those thingamajigs that prevented seats from reclining?
Are they even in business anymore after all the airlines banned those devices?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
Originally Posted by ethernal
Yes, 100% this. If an airline has 31" or less in pitch, recline should be removed. I would prefer 29" seat pitch with no recline than the risk of someone reclining into me than a 30-31" seat with a rude recliner in front of me (and yes, it is rude - even if you think you are "entitled" to that space). Even ignoring the issue with pain from knees jammed into the seat, It basically makes it impossible to work on a laptop at all.
Here is the issue for many, myself included. The full upright pitch of the seats is dibilitatingly painful for long periods of time. Thus I recline slowly but without any hesitation or apologizes. Saying it is rude is self entitlement. As for not being able to use a laptop, in my experience that has never been an issue even when the person in front of me is fully reclined. I guess that is because it is on my lap and not on a tray table. YMMV. But at the end of the day if one knows they might not be able use their laptop then one needs to plan accordingly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.