FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DFW -> HYD in J. Delta or American? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1962066-dfw-hyd-j-delta-american.html)

carlosnunez.dfw Mar 22, 2019 11:07 am

DFW -> HYD in J. Delta or American?

(I’ve cross-posted this on the American forum.)

Hello!

I am currently Platinum Pro on AA with 0 EQM/EQD: flown and Platinum Medallion on DL with about 34k EQM/$4.7k EQD. I might be going to Hyderabad (India) for the next three months; four round trips in total. I will be flying in J.

Both have pretty good routings on pretty good aircraft, but I’m not sure which will help me earn more status faster.

Which airline/partner network should I fly on?

3Cforme Mar 22, 2019 11:51 am

Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw (Post 30917372)
I’m not sure which will help me earn more status faster.

Which airline/partner network should I fly on?

For both carriers elite status is a function of qualifying miles (which can be a function of fare class, not cabin) and qualifying spend. Partner carrier eqms can be a function of distance if segments aren't AA/DL-coded. These are basics to understanding and getting elite status.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...o-qualify.html

Gig103 Mar 22, 2019 4:40 pm

Earning depends on the metal, but if you're on DL it's 150% MQM and on AA it's 200% EQM, so AA on their planes would be the faster earning you ask of. When you start throwing in partners that can vary.

But you've flown enough on both airlines to be both PP and PM, so which do you think is the better option? Already having status means faster shouldn't be a concern, you can use your existing elite status benefits all year.

Duke787 Mar 22, 2019 4:46 pm

Not sure I'd touch 9W which you have to for DL/ST.

QR crediting to AA or EK (if A380) crediting to AS seems much more attractive.

plon Mar 22, 2019 4:50 pm

Definitely take the QR option credited to AA. Far superior product/service.

BenA Mar 22, 2019 5:12 pm

Do not book or fly Jet Airways under any circumstances right now. They're rumored to be days from total collapse, and flight cancellations are already getting substantial. This isn't an Alitalia-style "well, the government may need to step in and help them restructure, but it's probably fine" situation - it's a "lessors have already repossessed a large part of their fleet, pilots haven't been paid in months, and they may be down to flying only Indian domestic routes as soon as tomorrow" situation. Kingfisher 2.0, if you're familiar with that fiasco.

Eventually, DL/KL/AF/AZ/VS will backfill for Jet with additional capacity of their own to India, I suspect. But for now, you really want to book a different alliance, because to the best of my knowledge none of the main Delta partners currently serve Hyderabad with their own metal.

In addition to avoiding Jet/9W, I'd also recommend avoiding Air India (AI) as a general rule - but that's more for customer service and onboard experience reasons.

taxicabnumber Mar 22, 2019 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by BenA (Post 30918574)
Do not book or fly Jet Airways under any circumstances right now. They're rumored to be days from total collapse, and flight cancellations are already getting substantial. This isn't an Alitalia-style "well, the government may need to step in and help them restructure, but it's probably fine" situation - it's a "lessors have already repossessed a large part of their fleet, pilots haven't been paid in months, and they may be down to flying only Indian domestic routes as soon as tomorrow" situation. Kingfisher 2.0, if you're familiar with that fiasco.

Eventually, DL/KL/AF/AZ/VS will backfill for Jet with additional capacity of their own to India, I suspect. But for now, you really want to book a different alliance, because to the best of my knowledge none of the main Delta partners currently serve Hyderabad with their own metal.

In addition to avoiding Jet/9W, I'd also recommend avoiding Air India (AI) as a general rule - but that's more for customer service and onboard experience reasons.

Even if 9W were to somehow get its stuff together, on a more practical note there's no way to go DFW-HYD with only one stop using DL and its partners. Whereas with oneworld you have a couple of one-stop, nicely-scheduled options (DFW-LHR-HYD, DFW-DOH-HYD, even DFW-HKG-HYD although that one's not as efficient)...

hotturnip Mar 22, 2019 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber (Post 30918731)
Even if 9W were to somehow get its stuff together, on a more practical note there's no way to go DFW-HYD with only one stop using DL and its partners. Whereas with oneworld you have a couple of one-stop, nicely-scheduled options (DFW-LHR-HYD, DFW-DOH-HYD, even DFW-HKG-HYD although that one's not as efficient)...

Winner.

dciolli Mar 23, 2019 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by plon (Post 30918517)
Definitely take the QR option credited to AA. Far superior product/service.

I'm currently in the middle of my India trip going LAX-DOH-COK and HYD-DOH-LAX on the return. Can't recommend QR enough. Best hard and soft product I've experienced.