Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Passenger in C+ (and next to empty seat) complains about empty F seat

Old Mar 21, 19, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, AAdvantage Gold, SPG/Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards

Iím sitting in C+ on a CRJ900. On this bird, 6 of the 20 Comfort + seats are full while 11 out of 12 of the F seats are full. There are 4 elites (including me, who is second) left on the upgrade list, it looks like someone who was upgraded may not have shown up. One passenger complained to the FA about the empty F seat. The funny thing was that he is currently in a better seat as no one is next to him (the empty F seat is next to another passenger). Service in F on this plane is minimal. Is this a big deal? The complaining passenger will still get free alcohol and a snack on this 50 minute flight.

Also, Iíve seen a lot of flights recently with full F, empty C+ and full C. Not sure if that is what Delta is intending
Old Mar 21, 19, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
F would give the complainer seat width, seat pitch and exclusivity. Think of all the posts that have been made in this forum about F seats flying empty.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 21, 19, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
What seat is open in F?

If 2A, 3A, or 4A I think it's reasonable -- I think those seats are a tad more comfy. If the 2 side it's a wash in my eyes if it's a 50min CR9
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 21, 19, 8:08 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Plat
Doesn't matter if it's a short CR9 flight - if that passenger is stuck in C+ with an open F seat, it's going to hurt their precious upgrade percentage rate in the upgrade thread!

(Personally I wouldn't make a big deal out of it for such a short flight, but seeing some of the other threads about empty F seats, I think there's a number of folks who would say something).
Old Mar 21, 19, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex AA EXP
Depends on the seat, but an upgrade is an upgrade....
Old Mar 22, 19, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe the pax likes the thigh support of the FC seat.
Old Mar 22, 19, 8:07 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
I agree with the passenger. A flight shouldn't go out with an empty F seat with Medallions in the back, not even a CRJ. If everyone on the UG list wants to stay where they are that's fine, but the offer should be made.
Old Mar 22, 19, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Don't forget he also missed out on the precious PDB and bottle of water by not being in F.

As an ATL hub captive, I never see empty seats anywhere from the Y exit rows forward. Only time was a Saturday 8pm DTW to ATL in the last 5 years. The thought of an empty seat in C+ is just mind boggling to me.

I'd take C+ with an empty next to me over F for a 50-minute RJ flight any day, unless I had a super-tight connection and need to deplane as quick as possible.
Old Mar 22, 19, 9:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin View Post
Don't forget he also missed out on the precious PDB and bottle of water by not being in F.

As an ATL hub captive, I never see empty seats anywhere from the Y exit rows forward. Only time was a Saturday 8pm DTW to ATL in the last 5 years. The thought of an empty seat in C+ is just mind boggling to me.

I'd take C+ with an empty next to me over F for a 50-minute RJ flight any day, unless I had a super-tight connection and need to deplane as quick as possible.
I declined an upgrade on an MD-88 to seat 1A. Had 10ABC all to myself. This was a Wednesday after Labor Day last year. Canít tememebr the route but it was an hour flight or so. Think there were 88 empty seats on the plane. Emptiest Iíve ever seen a DL flight.
Old Mar 22, 19, 11:12 am

Programs: AA PPRO, DL PM, Marriott Plat Elite, Hertz Pres Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
Iím sitting in C+ on a CRJ900. On this bird, 6 of the 20 Comfort + seats are full while 11 out of 12 of the F seats are full. There are 4 elites (including me, who is second) left on the upgrade list, it looks like someone who was upgraded may not have shown up. One passenger complained to the FA about the empty F seat. The funny thing was that he is currently in a better seat as no one is next to him (the empty F seat is next to another passenger). Service in F on this plane is minimal. Is this a big deal? The complaining passenger will still get free alcohol and a snack on this 50 minute flight.

Also, Iíve seen a lot of flights recently with full F, empty C+ and full C. Not sure if that is what Delta is intending
That passenger probably doesnít fly often enough to know that F and C+ service is comparable on short regional flights. From that perspective, I can see why he would complain about it.

This kind-of happened to me once. I took a trip to FAR from DFW on an AA/Envoy E175. On the return flight, there were a few empty F seats. I wasnít EXP yet, so I couldnít get on the upgrade list on the award ticket I used. Sucked.
Old Mar 22, 19, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Same thing happened wednesdsy when I flew ATL - CMH.

Still people on the upgrade list but flew with 4 open F seats.
The flight load was very light in front and in Y
Old Mar 22, 19, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Was the person who complained #1 on the upgrade list? And did he complain before or after the door was closed?
Old Mar 22, 19, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, AAdvantage Gold, SPG/Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Was the person who complained #1 on the upgrade list? And did he complain before or after the door was closed?
The person said he was #4 on the list! He mentioned it after the door was closed. The FA said agents couldn't do anything about it once the door closed. This was a delayed flight, so maybe they were trying to get it pushed off ASAP.
Old Mar 22, 19, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex AA EXP
The person said he was #4 on the list! He mentioned it after the door was closed. The FA said agents couldn't do anything about it once the door closed. This was a delayed flight, so maybe they were trying to get it pushed off ASAP.
Well then he has no right to complain...
Old Mar 22, 19, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've been in 5A on a JFK-RDU CR9 and have complained when I wasn't upgraded. For me it's the principle, Delta touts upgrades as a benefit of status and when we're denied a published benefit it irks me.
NotHamSarnie likes this.

Search this Thread