Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What is considered lowest level (Saver) award inventory on Delta metal?

Old Mar 21, 19, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA

Since Delta doesn't have the typical award chart, how do I determine what is considered "lowest level" (Saver) availability on Delta, i.e., inventory that would be available to book on SkyTeam and other partners?

For example, JFK-GIG on Delta metal, both 12/25 and 12/26 show up as requiring 45k miles in economy in fare class "N". Only 12/25 shows as available on SkyTeam partners; 12/26 does not. If they have the same mileage requirement and fare code, why would one be available and one not be available on partners? I thought the fare code was the "bucket" that determined whether that flight would be available to partners? If not, what determines what is made available to partners?
Old Mar 21, 19, 11:05 am
Moderator, Delta & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Even using Delta miles, there is round trip N inventory at 90K miles -- and at 98K miles. So, clearly there are nuances beyond N inventory for coach award travel.
Old Mar 21, 19, 11:23 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
The fare basis code (which includes the mileage level amount in it) is contained in the fare rules (linked from the booking page). The different fare basis codes all map into the N fare "booking" code which is not the same as the fare basis code. This is similar to how W (C+) and E (BE) fares work where there are many fare filings/basis codes mapping into a single booking class. DL has different levels on it's own metal vs. partners. While DL has different levels (each with it's own fare basis code), the partners generally have a single level which is often cheaper than the lowest DL level. The award levels can largely be divined by using 5-week flexible search over a number of months and noting the different levels and checking the fare rules for the fare basis codes and any restrictions (like advance purchase, min stay, day of departure). There can also be roundtrip awards available which will require attempting roundtrip bookings to discover (I do it with a 7-day stay to discover awards which have min-stay, Sat-night stay requirement). Roundtrip awards have an 'R' in the middle of their fare basis codes. Note that sometimes awards can book as broken fares with multiple awards involved. The multiple awards are broken out in the fare rules.

Last edited by LBJ; Mar 21, 19 at 11:55 am
Old Mar 21, 19, 1:07 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
While DL has different levels (each with it's own fare basis code), the partners generally have a single level which is often cheaper than the lowest DL level.
if partners only have a single level, which DL level do those map to?
Old Mar 21, 19, 1:23 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rufflesinc View Post
if partners only have a single level, which DL level do those map to?
Don't know what you mean by "map". Do you mean what is the DL lowest level on a route? For example, current lowest level one-way for TATL in J on DL is CSV1050 (105K) and CSMH750 (75K) on AF/KL. The DL fare has a 90-day advance purchase requirement, while the KL/AF one has a 60-day, so they don't really "map". However, there's currently a summer-only TATL J sale on DL-only for 64K (CSVR640) each-way. These have a roundtrip and Saturday-night stay booking requirement along with a 60-day advance purchase requirement. There is no AF/KL equivalent award to "map" into for these awards. For AF/KL flights, there are only the CSMH750 awards. For coach TATL, lowest level on DL is a YSV440, while KL/AF/VS is a YSMH250 award. However, there are a number of lower DL-only coach roundtrip levels out of BOS and NYC for TATL. There can also be some exceptions out of other airports. For example, there's a YSV370 coach level on DL for DTW-LHR that's not available on other routes.

Last edited by LBJ; Mar 21, 19 at 1:43 pm
Old Mar 21, 19, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
Don't know what you mean by "map". Do you mean what is the DL lowest level on a route?
what inventory do the partners use for awards on DL metal?
Old Mar 21, 19, 2:16 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt there is a way to figure this out from simply looking at awards available on delta.com. Clearly the award systems are quite different.
Old Mar 21, 19, 2:58 pm

If you do some searching on various tools you can find the answer and gather some insight into Delta’s award pricing.

I recently looked up SEA-PVG in D1 on EF when DL announced the new 339neo on this route. EF showed 6 D1 awards and indeed VS also showed 6 awards at 60k each. Delta showed 3 awards for 120k each but when i went to 5 pax it bumped up to 180k!

I transfered 300k miles in to VS from amex and booked there, seemed a better deal than the 900k that Delta wanted for the same seats...
Old Mar 21, 19, 5:34 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Silly question... how does one check award itineraries using Skymiles on partner sites? Say, JFK-EZE on AR or JFK-AMS on KL.
Old Mar 21, 19, 5:40 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLTAM
Originally Posted by fliesdelta View Post
Silly question... how does one check award itineraries using Skymiles on partner sites? Say, JFK-EZE on AR or JFK-AMS on KL.
You can only redeem Skymiles with DL.

Other sites can be used to view that airline's award inventory, by searching for awards using their own FF program. However you can't redeem SM for them. You might do this to get a guide of what flights *may* be available on these airlines through DL.
Old Mar 21, 19, 5:44 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
You can only redeem Skymiles with DL.

Other sites can be used to view that airline's award inventory, by searching for awards using their own FF program. However you can't redeem SM for them. You might do this to get a guide of what flights *may* be available on these airlines through DL.
OK fair enough. Let's say I find award inventory on JFK-EZE on AR. How do I book that ticket using SM?
Old Mar 21, 19, 5:46 pm
Moderator, Delta & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by stephem View Post

If you do some searching on various tools you can find the answer and gather some insight into Delta’s award pricing.

I recently looked up SEA-PVG in D1 on EF when DL announced the new 339neo on this route. EF showed 6 D1 awards and indeed VS also showed 6 awards at 60k each.
OP already went that route. Two dates showed Delta pricing at 45K but the partner - not named - showed only one date.

We can't rationalize what the partner shows as its saver inventory when DL shows something different.
Old Mar 21, 19, 6:02 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLTAM
Originally Posted by fliesdelta View Post
OK fair enough. Let's say I find award inventory on JFK-EZE on AR. How do I book that ticket using SM?
The same way you'd book any SM ticket. Use delta.com or call Delta. Some partners can only be booked by calling.

Again there is no guarantee Delta has the same award inventory, so they may not be able to book it. But if AR shows availability you would usually have a good chance.
Old Mar 22, 19, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by stephem View Post

I recently looked up SEA-PVG in D1 on EF when DL announced the new 339neo on this route. EF showed 6 D1 awards and indeed VS also showed 6 awards at 60k each. Delta showed 3 awards for 120k each but when i went to 5 pax it bumped up to 180k!
I suppose I just don't understand where these 6 awards are coming from , if DL is charging 50% over their lowest rate
Old Mar 22, 19, 8:10 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suppose I just don't understand where these 6 awards are coming from , if DL is charging 50% over their lowest rate
It's clear that DL has their own internal inventory allocations to partners that does not have an exact relationship with their own award levels and only an insider is going to know exactly how seats are allocated. Most pax aren't MSer/card churner types and can't pick-and-choose or comparison shop between which bank of FF miles they redeem awards from. I just looked up LAX-HND DL7 for June 11 and DL has 3 seats in their lowest level CSV900 level (which is a special seasonal level only good on Mon-Thu flights) while VS only has 2 seats available on this same flight as G/Upper Class awards. So DL has apparently decided to only allocate 2 seats to VS in this particular case.

Search this Thread