Wiki Posts
Search

Booking WestJet flights out of YYF

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Booking WestJet flights out of YYF

I tried to search for a flight out of my home airport, YYF (Penticton, BC), which is served by WestJet. When I search delta.com (to see if I can somehow burn some old Delta miles), it says YYF is not a valid airport code when searching either with cash or miles. Is there some reason DL won't let me even search for award availability out of YYF on WS?

Searching for YLW (Kelowna, up the road) works fine; Delta has codeshares out of YLW too.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Typing pen brings up Penticton (YYF) in Chrome.

Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Typing pen brings up Penticton (YYF) in Chrome.
Great; thanks. It's working for me now too. It wasn't working for a few days in either Safari (on desktop) or the Delta app.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
The interesting thing with Westjet is that for some destinations you can book Delta award travel (15,000 miles for most destinations; can be a steal if you go transcontinental and/or to some small airports) but not a Delta ticket for money as Delta does not code share and/or Delta code shares the individual flights but not the whole itinerary. A bit of hit or miss.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PHXflier
The interesting thing with Westjet is that for some destinations you can book Delta award travel (15,000 miles for most destinations; can be a steal if you go transcontinental and/or to some small airports) but not a Delta ticket for money as Delta does not code share and/or Delta code shares the individual flights but not the whole itinerary. A bit of hit or miss.
How's that different from any partner?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by flyerCO
How's that different from any partner?
It is a lot more messy than with close Skyteam partners; with those there is usually no discrepancy for US-originating tickets between what you can buy with money vs. with miles (assuming there is availability).
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ashill
Great; thanks. It's working for me now too. It wasn't working for a few days in either Safari (on desktop) or the Delta app.
I don't want to be the guy responsible for maintaining Delta's airport codes database. Add too few/too slowly and frustrate travelers (like you) to less-used airports (less used by prospective DL flyers, anyway). Add too many and very slightly slow down all the itinerary searches for the ~200 million segments flown by DL flyers each year. Glad the suggestion is working for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.