Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Downgrading a Medallion Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Absolutely Delta can retract an upgrade.
Happened to me and another guy on a NAS-JFK flight earlier this year. All I got for explanation was "the computer made a mistake upgrading you". I got the sense that the GA made the mistake (either upgrading me in the first place or by putting someone else in my seat after the fact) and refused to acknowledge it. DL subsequently gave me 10k miles for my troubles, as I had previously been in C+ and would have been perfectly fine not being fake-upgraded!
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
Happened to me and another guy on a NAS-JFK flight earlier this year. All I got for explanation was "the computer made a mistake upgrading you". I got the sense that the GA made the mistake (either upgrading me in the first place or by putting someone else in my seat after the fact) and refused to acknowledge it. DL subsequently gave me 10k miles for my troubles, as I had previously been in C+ and would have been perfectly fine not being fake-upgraded!
Honestly, I think this is what happened to me (since I had been confirmed both when I booked the flight and had even gotten my boarding pass when we checked in for the first leg).

Delta claimed an equipment change (but there wasn't one -- I checked).

They did give me 9000 miles. Guess it was kinda worth complaining.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Widgets

Federal Air Marshal. They can walk up to your gate and are allowed to take any seat they want including first class, and the gate agent can’t tell the negatively impacted passengers what happened.
The policy changed last December. Now they have to sit in coach. Letting them sit in F was just stupid.

https://onemileatatime.com/us-air-ma...ack-of-planes/
Spiff and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

The policy changed last December. Now they have to sit in coach. Letting them sit in F was just stupid.

https://onemileatatime.com/us-air-ma...ack-of-planes/
I think the entire program is a waste of taxpayer money, but in fairness, if your full time job was to fly around, it's pretty terrible to make them sit in coach 24/7 given the torture devices most airlines have. Of course, I assume that they don't exclusively fly legacy carriers so they've always been forced to sit in economy at least in some instances. I don't envy the juniors that probably get assigned the Spirit routes...
tardyturtle likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
I think the entire program is a waste of taxpayer money, but in fairness, if your full time job was to fly around, it's pretty terrible to make them sit in coach 24/7 given the torture devices most airlines have. Of course, I assume that they don't exclusively fly legacy carriers so they've always been forced to sit in economy at least in some instances. I don't envy the juniors that probably get assigned the Spirit routes...
Well, they're not forced to take that job. They shouldn't be taking up the best real estate on the plane. Passengers have shown multiple times that they will contain any problem that arises on the airplane.
Spiff and El Boocho like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ethernal
Most government employees who travel for business get coach tickets even for long trips and even if their job requires constant travel. Why should FAMs be treated differently?

Especially when the government doesn't pay anything for their tickets, so it's really a matter of the airline being required to give a free ticket to FAMs for the cabin where they're sitting. This is expensive for the airline and more so when they must downgrade a premium cabin customer and pay downgrade compensation or at least he fare difference to that passenger.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL
This happened to me yesterday at MCO, I was #3 with 3 seats open. They upgraded the top three and put me in 2A on a 763. When I was boarding, I happened to look up at the screen and suddenly I was #2 for an upgrade and they upgraded someone to my original Comfort+ seat since it was open after I got upgraded.

Sure enough, I board (first class is full) and head back to my original seat and two of us have the same seat assignment, 17A. They used the handheld scanner for boarding so there was no tickets to print out for seat changes. The flight attendant couldn't explain it, finally ended up in an exit row as it was a short flight to ATL and not worth trying to figure out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.