Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Reserve Companion Ticket w/Z fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond

I could have sworn that the Delta Reserve Companion Ticket could only be used for A and I fares, but I noticed that the terms and conditions now read as follows (emphasis mine):

Tickets are only available in I and Z classes of service for First Class travel, only available in W class for Delta Comfort+ travel, and only available in L, U, T, X, V classes of service for Main Cabin travel and may not be available on all flights or markets.
Terms, Conditions & Disclosures

I tried making a dummy booking for a RT itinerary with Z inventory of at least 2 on both legs, but delta.com would only load the I fares when applying the companion certificate. Has anyone successfully used their companion certificate on a Z-fare?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Good to see. Delta One Z fare on transcons here we come!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Perhaps a hiccup in the fare re-allignment and elimination of GAP fare classes?

Originally Posted by Bicoastal Yokel
I could have sworn that the Delta Reserve Companion Ticket could only be used for A and I fares, but I noticed that the terms and conditions now read as follows (emphasis mine):

Terms, Conditions & Disclosures

I tried making a dummy booking for a RT itinerary with Z inventory of at least 2 on both legs, but delta.com would only load the I fares when applying the companion certificate. Has anyone successfully used their companion certificate on a Z-fare?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The change was discussed a few weeks ago on this thread --
companion certificate mistaken type
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
The change was discussed a few weeks ago on this thread --
companion certificate mistaken type
Thanks for the link. I tried to search for similar threads, but I guess somehow that one escaped me. Mods can feel free to merge if desired.

A couple of things from reading that other thread:

1. They mentioned that the Booking Class for the certificate should be listed in your account on Delta.com. My certificate was issued on January 6, 2019, and the "Booking Class" column just reads "DL - See Terms"

2. The one example of someone being issued a Z-class ticket sounds like the original ticket was booked in A

Does anyone currently have a Reserve Companion Certificate in their account that lists "Z" in the Booking Class? Or has anyone been able to create a booking into Z (even a dummy booking) using their Reserve Companion Certificate?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I used a Reserve companion certificate to book my wife and son in D1 on a Z fare JFK-LAX-JFK a month or so ago, for a flight in April. I didn’t realize I was the beneficiary of a change in the terms and conditions until reading this thread.

Edit to add: this is a bit OT, but I found the certificate to be MUCH more difficult to use this year than in prior years. Previously as long as I booked several months in advance I could get basically any flight I wanted. This year there was nothing for JFK-PDX in July or December, nothing for JFK-SFO on the weekend in need to go in July, etc.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: Delta
Whenever I could not find an appropriate flight for the companion ticket I have called the Promo Desk for DL Reserve members 855 551 2113 and they have snagged me pretty much what I want in 1st. You might give this a try they are more than helpful I found.
Air Houston and JCWCVG like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Good to see. Delta One Z fare on transcons here we come!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the Reserve companion certs not limited to the 48-continental US states (domestic only) like the Platinum Companion cert?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by luv2vacay
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the Reserve companion certs not limited to the 48-continental US states (domestic only) like the Platinum Companion cert?
Transcon flights are US 48 like JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO, etc. However, I don't think the certs can be used in Delta One, they can only be used in Main Cabin, C+ and First Class.
luv2vacay likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Transcon flights are US 48 like JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO, etc. However, I don't think the certs can be used in Delta One, they can only be used in Main Cabin, C+ and First Class.
Thank you! I forgot about D1 vs. "First".

Still not a bad deal though. Might pick up the Reserve before the new bonus ends.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by luv2vacay
Think you're confusing transcon with intercontinental. Transcon is from one coast to the other.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Think you're confusing transcon with intercontinental. Transcon is from one coast to the other.
I think I already answered that
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I think I already answered that
Wish the internet here was faster, might've beaten you. Not sure why, but it's slower than I've ever had it over here.
luv2vacay likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Incorrect. They most certainly can be used on the Delta One flights that operate JFK-LAX (and the other west coast cities). Previously, they would book into I class, even when the much cheaper Z seat was available for sale.

This has apparently now been corrected.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Incorrect. They most certainly can be used on the Delta One flights that operate JFK-LAX (and the other west coast cities). Previously, they would book into I class, even when the much cheaper Z seat was available for sale.

This has apparently now been corrected.
Confirmed. As mentioned above, that is exactly how I used mine this year. FWIW, I booked through the DM line rather than through the website.
luv2vacay likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.